The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old October 28, 2009, 05:55 PM   #51
Tommy Vercetti

all are locked up in the safe except for the one I'm carrying
Old October 28, 2009, 06:44 PM   #52
rgates

Everything in a safe unless I'm wearing it. Even when my kids were older and even into late teens and was confident they were well trained in safety and were mentally sound, I still know what teen hormones can do. Even when my son owned a few of his own they stayed locked in MY safe and my wife or I had to get them out for him.
When you have kids you'll also frequently have their friends in the house. How well do you know them? I always bordered on paranoia when it came to this. It may have meant I couldn't get to one fast enough if needed but thankfully that never happened. Of course I live out in the country with a very, very good watch dog. Only once that a potential threat occurred and I met it on the front porch with a .357 in one hand and an AK in the other.
9mm in back pocket.
Old October 28, 2009, 07:27 PM   #53
zombieslayer

Teaching Kids to safely enjoy the shooting sports is something I take very seriously. But it feels so good to pass on the love of shooting to another generation. I only allow minors to TOUCH OR SEE a gun unless Im there.
Old October 28, 2009, 07:49 PM   #54
DRice.72

Firepower,

I have a freind who had what I thoiught was a nifty solution to the key situation. He had the keys to the gun safes and ammo cabinets in a safe in his bedroom. The keys to all those cabinets were always in that safe and that safe locked unless they were getting the guns out to shoot. The key to his wall safe was on is key ring that he kept on him all the time. At night he put the keys in a music box and wound it up. If a youngster ever wanted to get at that key they had to get past the annoying music box right next to his head. The ither thing in that box was the key the lock box where his HD pistol was kept. I thought that was a neat way to do it. Not that he ever needed to. He had a shooting bench on the deck and almost 200 yards straight back. All they had to was walk across the house to get in their shooting so he was able to satisfy the curiousity aspect very easy. (Lucky guy he was)
Old October 29, 2009, 01:48 AM   #55
Sportdog

Sell Them

The best and most practical solution is to get rid of all firearms in your home. I would guess that the odds are higher of an accident with your firearms than the odds of using them for self defense. The safety of children trumps the need for guns in the home. The saying "where there's a will there's a way" rings true and as Pax has noted repeatedly they will find a way. It is better to not have guns than risk the loss of your child and you going to prison. I believe that the American Medical Association and the United Nations promote the idea that guns in the home as a health risk.
Old October 29, 2009, 01:58 AM   #56
Rangefinder

^^^ Please tell me you're being sarcastic. "Sell all your guns so your kids won't find them!" That's left coast drivle, so PLEASE say you're being sarcastic.

Guns only have two enemies: Rust and Politicians.
Old October 29, 2009, 02:19 AM   #57
pax

Sportdog ~

What pax noted repeatedly is that firearms that are not under the conscious control of a responsible adult (such as in a holster on the adult's hip) should be locked up with a lock designed to deter an adult thief -- and that children need to be taught firearms safety from a young age. That's it, that's all.

It's amazing how hard people will work to defend the indefensible.

pax
Old October 29, 2009, 09:09 AM   #58
Sportdog

I'm confused. What am I defending? I was pointing out to the OP that the only surefire method of keeping guns out of the hands of children is having no guns in the house. I used your posts that pointed out that "childproof" is a sick joke to help make my case for 100% safety for your children. This discussion reminds me of discussions of birth control. No matter what method is used, there are risks involved. The only surefire method is not engaging in behavior that would lead to pregnancy. A very simple concept. I'm sorry if my using your posts to bolster my position offended you. It was not meant to. Now if you want to know what I did when I had young children I will tell you. I never carried a weapon or used a weapon in my home for self defense purposes. All of my rifles and shotguns were locked in a metal gunsafe, unloaded with the actions broken down, bolts removed, gunlocks installed, and no ammo with the guns. My ammo was kept in a padlocked cabinet in my garage. The keys to the gunsafe and cabinets were kept on my car keyring. Yes, if the kids got to my keys while I was sleeping or doing something else they could have accessed my guns. Not 100% security but since my kids are grown and gone, it worked for me.
Old October 29, 2009, 05:33 PM   #59
Stevie-Ray

Gee that's funny. My dad had a loaded gun in his bedroom all the time when we were growing up. Yet there was never any "gun accidents" at all. I'll be darned. Must be something to that "firearms education" after all. Must be something about the way we were raised, also.
Old October 29, 2009, 07:23 PM   #60
kazanski612

How about we all just give all our guns to the government? Then we won't have to worry about any of us getting shot. Next, we can give up our cars so we don't have to worry about being in a car accident. Then, we can give up our horses so we don't have to worry about getting thrown from our horse...
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms... disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes." - Thomas Jefferson's "Commonplace Book," 1774-1776, quoting from On Crimes and Punishment, by criminologist Cesare Beccaria, 1764
Old October 29, 2009, 07:52 PM   #61
m.p.driver

Back in July it was in the local Dayton,Ohio news.Three year old finds his fathers 9mm under the bed and shoots himself in the head.All it takes is one slip up and you're paying for it for the rest of your life.We don't have kids so we each take our respective pistols with us when we leave,other wise they're
on the nightstand or table in what ever room were in.And when company comes over it all goes in the safe.
Old October 29, 2009, 09:03 PM   #62
Beentown71

Pax,

I wanted to thank you for the link regarding children and their first lesson. I have gone over this with my two girls (3.5 and 2) and the results have been outstanding so far. They are actually role playing with it themselves.

Here is what went down tonight...

Three year old out of nowhere - "Daddy there is a gun on the floor" points to a ball

Me - Confused at first but played along... "Where honey"

3 year old - "Right here...can I see it?"

Me - "Sure honey let me make sure it is safe"

3 year old - "Thanks Daddy. What do I do when you or mommy aren't around? Ask nother dult right"

Me - Prideful gleam across my face, thanking Pax for the information.

Thanks again,

Beentown

Time for the Mall Ninja list:
Beretta 92fs, Springer XD9, High Standard Model HB, RRA bull bbl...aw heck with it time to go plink
Old October 30, 2009, 01:25 AM   #63
Sportdog

kazanski612

I think that you have the program wired there guy! If you really want to see stupid go over to the general hunting forum at the 24Hourcampfire and read the back and forth over the cold chamber/hot chamber issue! Now there is some prime entertainment!
Old October 30, 2009, 07:05 AM   #64
threegun

Sportdog,

Quote:
The best and most practical solution is to get rid of all firearms in your home. I would guess that the odds are higher of an accident with your firearms than the odds of using them for self defense. The safety of children trumps the need for guns in the home. The saying "where there's a will there's a way" rings true and as Pax has noted repeatedly they will find a way. It is better to not have guns than risk the loss of your child and you going to prison. I believe that the American Medical Association and the United Nations promote the idea that guns in the home as a health risk.
I would guess that this is not true of folks who practice securing their firearms. I would also guess that the odds change in high crime areas were the likelihood of being attacked is much greater.

Quote:
But neither have a political agenda right?

Quote:
I never carried a weapon or used a weapon in my home for self defense purposes. All of my rifles and shotguns were locked in a metal gunsafe, unloaded with the actions broken down, bolts removed, gunlocks installed, and no ammo with the guns. My ammo was kept in a padlocked cabinet in my garage. The keys to the gunsafe and cabinets were kept on my car keyring. Yes, if the kids got to my keys while I was sleeping or doing something else they could have accessed my guns.
The forum is titled tactics and training. Which tactic or what training would you have deployed to neutralize a hostile threat that entered your home?

Many of us live in or near areas that pose a real threat. We choose not to be a helpless victim who must resort to begging a thug for our lives (which is what you would have been forced to do had the unlikely happened to you). The responsible among us train often and prepare tactics for the unlikely but potentially deadly treat of a home invasion or burglary. Just as the responsible among us purchase life insurance, so that our families are financially taken care of, in the event of an untimely departure.

Many of us also have children and must take the appropriate steps to insure that they are adequately educated and prevented from unsupervised contact with our firearms. This thread is for those of us who have chosen to keep weapons in our home and would like suggestions on doing so safely. Done properly securing a firearm virtually eliminates accidental shootings. Combined with education and firearms training it would be close to eliminated.

Question do you or did you smoke while raising your children?
Old October 30, 2009, 07:38 AM   #65
zombieslayer

Maybe, since a car is definitely a deadly weapon, and kills way more people every year than guns, adults should keep their cars locked in safes, with the engines removed, the gas in the garage, and the keys padlocked in a hidden hole? I mean, we have to think safety! kids could get ahold of these deadly missiles and cause all kinds of harm! We have the RIGHT to bear arms, not lock arms away. Children need to be safe, and negligent gun ownership is unfortunately going to happen just like ownership of anything with the potential to cause harm. But to have a collection of guns, but essentially be unarmed is pointless to me. I have kids, and common sense tells me to keep all my firearms away from them, but they know I carry, and they know how to shoot my guns, in case they ever NEED to. That said they also know not to touch any gun unless I hand it to them. I trust my judgement, and follow the law, which dictates firearms be adequately stored as to prevent minors from accessing them, but I keep at least one at the ready and under my control all day. My son does own a BB gun. Under suprevision, He's allowed to shoot cans in the back yard.
Old October 30, 2009, 08:43 AM   #66
threegun

Zombie,

My boys 10-13 own several guns from a bushmaster superlite to a px4 storm. You know the grief I get from family members who's mindset resembles sportsdog's. However they both can safely handle them and any firearm for that matter. They can handle them anytime they wish by simply asking me. Guess what they rarely ask......the curiosity is gone......the new is gone. What remains are two boys who if they ever encounter a gun at a friends house know what to do (get an adult immediately after leaving the area instantly) and what the weapons are capable of doing. They also know how to use them if they should ever need to fend off an attacker.

Great analogy BTW.
Old October 30, 2009, 08:57 AM   #67
zombieslayer

Thanks, yeah once the curiosity is gone, they are a lot less prone to get into trouble because of lack of knowledge. My 7 year old got to shoot my xd9 a while back. He can't rack the slide, but I held outside his grip, we went through every motion, and he shot it once. I blew away some pumpkins with it and the 12ga, and he knows not to mess with guns. He's gonna start hunting in a year or so... Your kids sound like good kids,too. My friend's 13 year old and a friend of his got to shoot my mossberg 500 persuader (and I like the pistol grip on mine), and my Ak. They had a really good time, and honestly, they surprised me with how quickly they can develop skills. the friend even hit a few clays with the mossberg!
Old October 30, 2009, 09:21 AM   #68
Scout

Openness is a great thing with the kids...if mine want to handle a weapon or learn about one, they know to ask...as I did with my father. If the mystery is gone, so is the urge to sneak...kinda like sex. ; )
Old October 30, 2009, 09:30 AM   #69
zombieslayer

When learning the manual of arms for his new BB gun, my kid had to run laps every time he didn't check the safety, improperly held the rifle, any mistakes were corrected. If he shot a can (which he hit, second shot ever!) and sat the gun down without engaging the safety, two laps! He still has his first shredded can with the ragged hole through it. Kind of a messed up trophy, but we can't just go out huntin like when I grew up.
Old October 30, 2009, 10:06 AM   #70
pax

Beentown ~

That's what I like to hear! (Your 3 year old sounds like a cutiepie...)

pax
Old October 30, 2009, 10:07 AM   #71
Microgunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportdog
Now if you want to know what I did when I had young children I will tell you. I never carried a weapon or used a weapon in my home for self defense purposes. All of my rifles and shotguns were locked in a metal gunsafe, unloaded with the actions broken down, bolts removed, gunlocks installed, and no ammo with the guns. My ammo was kept in a padlocked cabinet in my garage. The keys to the gunsafe and cabinets were kept on my car keyring. Yes, if the kids got to my keys while I was sleeping or doing something else they could have accessed my guns. Not 100% security but since my kids are grown and gone, it worked for me.
Mr. Sportdog,
You have no idea how happy many of us are that in your family's youth never arose the circumstance that required immediate and decisive defensive action in your home. The same is true for me. Unfortunately, as we speak, some are not so lucky. For these families I pray they have prepared by balancing necessary safety against necessary readiness.
Extremes in either direction are very hard to live with . Most are comfortable somewhere in the middle.
I found comfort in vigilant training with my children. Of course, you know your children and your training abilities better than any of us.
As for absolutes, you don't want food poisoning, never eat again. Those extremes. So hard to LIVE with.

Last edited by Microgunner; October 30, 2009 at 10:46 AM.
Old October 30, 2009, 01:12 PM   #72
Sportdog

Troll

I am amazed how easy you guys fall for an obvious troll!!!!! LOL! The only thing that has any truth to what I posted was how I kept my guns secured in my home when my children were at home. That was before I ever owned or wanted to own a handgun or any type of "homeland defense" weapon. I now have a CPL, carry every day, and have a coach double barrel with ammo band and a short barreled pump stashed in strategic locations in my home. When my grandchildren come, the guns are unloaded and secured except for my handgun which is placed in the top of a cabinent so high that I need a step stool to reach it. As far as tactics and training goes for a home with children in it.......each person must decide for themselves what an adequate level of security vs perceived risks must be balanced. It is true that only a home 100% free of guns will prevent a possible gun related accident. What someone else does is not my business but if adequate security is not taken it could be a real horror story.
Old October 30, 2009, 01:17 PM   #73
pax

Please allow me to draw everyone's attention to the TFL forum rules for a moment. They can be found at http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...aq_forum_rules

Every TFL forum member agrees to abide by these rules when they join the forum. It's a gentleman's agreement, a contract, and we do enforce it.

pax
Old October 31, 2009, 04:29 AM   #74
qwman68

i have a 11 yr. old son and 14 yr. old daughter they both have guns in their room. they have been well trained on the use of firearms.i have never in all of their years had to disipline them for playing with or messing around with their guns.i trust them completely.what are they gonna do if im not able to come to their rescue? they damn well better defend themselves.
Old October 31, 2009, 11:42 AM   #75
TailGator

Quote:
i have a 11 yr. old son and 14 yr. old daughter they both have guns in their room.
It is great that you can have that much confidence in your kids' training. But it needs to be understood by visitors to this thread that such access is illegal in some states. And we all need to consider the possible consequences of having visitors to our homes, especially when we have kids and they have guests their own age.

Tags
kids , safe handling of guns