The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 23, 2006, 08:37 PM   #1
pols487

light loaded shotshells

I have reloaded some 20ga AA shells for my 10 year old daughter. I used 6 grains of unique, the standard wad and 7/8 oz #8 shot. They shoot fine but I am concerned about the safety. I know the charge is very light but I have read so much lately about pressure and how even a light load with improper air space or shot volume can be dangerous. Does this reload seem safe?
Old November 5, 2006, 09:38 PM   #2
pols487

Thanks for NOTHING!!!!

Thanks to all you reloading devotees, Thanks for NOTHING!!!!
Old November 6, 2006, 12:41 AM   #3
cloudcroft

1. Nobody owes anyone here -- or in any other newsgroup/forum -- a response...where does it say people must respond?

2. Maybe the people who had an answer didn't see your post...I know I didn't. I may not have even checked this forum October 23.

3. Maybe the people who DID read your post didn't know anything to respond to your issue.

4. Sometimes, if there is a lot of traffic, your post moves down the line quickly and get buried...you need to "bump" it up to the top again to make it get more attention.

I'm not a "reloading devotee" but those are some things to consider.

-- John D.

P.S. If you're still interested, I suggest you DEFINITELY DO NOT mess with any shotshell reloading data, either to reduce loads or increase them...it's too dangerous since shotshell reloading is not as flexible as metallic cartridge reloading. Just try to duplicate skeet loads...they are fairly comfortable to shoot. Or dove and quail field loads...whichever is the mildest as per load data charts or what it says on the outside of the box re: Dram Equivalent (DE)...the higher the DE, the more kick-ass (powerful) the load and therefore the more recoil it has. The lower the DE, the less powerful and less recoil it has.

Good luck,

JD
Old May 2, 2007, 08:17 PM   #4
Lavid2002

hey there......use normal loads but if you want to reduce shot just slip a card into the cupp
ex.
12 Ga- slip a 20 Ga card into the shotcup reducing space for shot, reducitng shot, saving cash and limiting recoikl : P
20 for a 12 ga
28 for 20 ga
so on and so forth : P