The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 31, 2000, 11:16 PM   #1
ctdonath

Any ideas on a laser for a Mossberg 590? (AOW actually.) Seems to me that one could be nicely built into the magazine cap.
Old January 31, 2000, 11:31 PM   #2
jcoyoung

I'm working on a modified bayonet that will have 3 weaver bases built onto it. I thought about mounting a laser sight to one of the bases and a tactical light on the other. I tried to order a laser sight with a wireless pressure switch, but Natchez was out of stock.

I do like the idea of the laser mounted in the cap though. Maybe all you need is a sleeve thats about the diameter of a 12 gauge shell. Just stick the laser sight in the sleeve and stick the whole assembly into the tube after the spring. Spin the cap on to lock the whole thing in place.

Of course a laser sight on a firearm that deploys multiple projectiles would be kind of a waste. (Unless you plan on mounting 9 to 100 laser sights!) Of course it would probably come in useful for shooting slugs, but I don't think the endcap setup would hold its zero too well.

------------------
"Ray guns don't vaporize Zorbonians, Zorbonians vaporize Zorbonians" Excerpt from The Far Side
Old February 1, 2000, 04:48 AM   #3
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

My query is, WHY? One doesn't acquire a lazer dot any faster than a peep sight and it's expensive, fragile and complicated. I note few pros use them.
Old February 1, 2000, 11:42 AM   #4
John Overbey

A laser on a shotgun is kind of pointless. If you want to add some accessories, maybe think about a surefire forearm. A good tactical light on a shotgun will do a lot more for you than a laser would. Of course, far be it from me to get in the way of a man parting with his money As always though, just my thoughts....
-John
Old February 1, 2000, 02:45 PM   #5
Erik

Yea... Get the light, forget about the laser.

Erik
Old February 2, 2000, 04:10 PM   #6
jnix

Yeah forget about the laser get a good flashlight with a beam about the same a the pellet spread. Hell it's a shotgun not a sniper rifle you just spray and pray.

------------------
"Guns don't kill people the government does", Rusty Shackleford.