The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old March 8, 2014, 03:58 PM   #1
dbuffington

Mystery Marlin?

Hi Folks!

I’m a Browning guy, but I’ve stumbled across this beautiful Marlin and would appreciate your help identifying it …

The gun is not marked with a model number, but I think it is a Model 1893. (The last patent date is 1893.) The serial number is 1736. The caliber is 32-20.

It has a case color receiver and 20-inch round barrel. The barrel is not blued (or every bit of the bluing is gone).

It has heavily figured wood. The buttstock is very well fitted with a hard rubber Marlin buttplate and Marlin “bullseye.” The Mannlicher-style forearm matches the buttstock and is also very well fitted.

Any idea what this is?

Thanks!
Dave

P.S. Sorry for the lousy photo. It was taken with a cell phone in a very dark room.

Last edited by dbuffington; March 8, 2014 at 04:03 PM.
Old March 8, 2014, 04:10 PM   #2
MoGas1341

It definitely looks to be a Model 1894. The patent date (like old Winchesters) is before the model date. Like an 1886 Winchester was patented 20 Jan 1885 for instance.

That Mannlicher style stock is throwing me off a bit, as I have never seen one like that. Could have been of "Custom Shop" deal way back when, kind of like the old made to order Deluxe Models Winchester made.

Very beautiful wood on that piece!

Last edited by MoGas1341; March 8, 2014 at 04:12 PM. Reason: misspelling
Old March 8, 2014, 04:52 PM   #3
dbuffington

Quote:
It definitely looks to be a Model 1894. The patent date (like old Winchesters) is before the model date. Like an 1886 Winchester was patented 20 Jan 1885 for instance.
Ah, understood. Thanks!

Quote:
That Mannlicher style stock is throwing me off a bit, as I have never seen one like that. Could have been of "Custom Shop" deal way back when, kind of like the old made to order Deluxe Models Winchester made.
It's throwing me off also. I intentionally didn't bring up the issue of whether it was "factory" or not because of the flames those discussions attract.

However, the forearm matches the buttstock and both are perfectly fitted. Plus, the forearm has a screw in the tip that's threaded into a socket on the barrel. That would have been difficult, but not impossible, for a third party to accomplish.

Quote:
Very beautiful wood on that piece!
The photo does it no justice at all ... and neither does the fact that the poor thing hasn't had any TLC in decades. An evening spent rubbing it with rejuvenating oil should do wonders.

Thanks!
Dave
Old March 8, 2014, 08:15 PM   #4
PetahW

The model is stamped into the top tang, under that tang peep sight base.

Since it's chambered in .32-20, a short/pistol cartridge, it would have to be a Model 1894/94.

Temporarily remove the tang sight, and please let us know............

Old March 8, 2014, 08:49 PM   #5
dbuffington

Alas, I'd like to, but the gun is at a dealer 200 miles away.
Old March 8, 2014, 08:50 PM   #6
JT-AR-MG42

The model number is directly under the tang sight.

It is indeed interesting and well done. I'm sure not up on the Marlin mess of serial numbering enough to figure this one out as far as dating it.

From the front sight, it looks to be a carbine barrel rather than a short rifle one.
That would make me curious to 'look under the hood' and see whether the magazine tube is attached in Marlin rifle fashion or not.

Are the lever, trigger, and bolt in the white also? The photo gives those parts a satin look.
And what sort of rear sight is that?

Maybe head back over with a camera if you get a hankerin' for it.

JT
Old March 9, 2014, 01:51 AM   #7
MarkDozier

marlincollectors.com they can answer your questions.
Old March 9, 2014, 07:21 AM   #8
Old Stony

I'm no expert at Marlins, but I'd say it's an 1894. I've got one around here myself, but in 25/20. Considering the finish inconsistencies, and what appears to be sharp checkering on the buttstock, I would have to lean towards someone's custom job. Checkering on the buttstock and not matching checkering on the forearm seems strange to me also, but it's hard to tell from you pic how much wear there is on it. Wear should be consistent over the firearm as far as I can see.
Old March 9, 2014, 11:59 AM   #9
dbuffington

Quote:
Checkering on the buttstock and not matching checkering on the forearm seems strange to me also, but it's hard to tell from you pic how much wear there is on it. Wear should be consistent over the firearm as far as I can see.
The wear is consistent, but you make a good point about the checkering ... There is good sharp checkering on the stock, and absolutely no indication of any checkering on the forearm. Yet, the wood is a perfect match.

Yup. I'm confused too.
Old March 9, 2014, 06:28 PM   #10
RJay

I believe it is a one of a kind, gun smith custom. I don't believe the Marlin factory made any such animal.
Old March 9, 2014, 08:56 PM   #11
Jim Watson

It looks like a custom project that never got finished.
To be right, the foreend should be slimmed down as much as the magazine tube allowed and checkered to match the butt. Metal should be blued the same overall. I'd want better sights, too.
Kind of like a hot rod that never seems to get beyond the gray primer.
Old March 10, 2014, 09:12 PM   #12
James K
Member In Memoriam

It looks like the buttstock may be factory, with a nice piece of wood, good checkering, and a nice finish. But the foreend is plain, with no checkering and obviously inferior wood.

So either someone broke/lost the foreend and had it replaced with the full length type he preferred, or he tossed a beautiful foreend in order to get what he wanted (ugh!).

Jim
Old March 12, 2014, 01:59 PM   #13
gyvel

As butt ugly as it is, I guess, in a practical sense, it would afford some protection the magazine tube.
Old March 15, 2014, 08:58 AM   #14
4V50 Gary
Staff

Customized gun with color case hardened frame, tang rear sight and higher grade wood including a mannlicher forearm.