The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old December 11, 2013, 06:06 AM   #1
dayman

Glock fan?

I'm posting this in general because, despite the title, I'm talking about revolvers as much as semis.

First off I consider myself a Glock fan.
If you were to talk to me at the range and ask me what my favorite hadgun brand is, I'd probably say "Glock".
I like the ergonomics, I like the trigger (NY1 spring/"-"connecter), and I like the simplicity. Heck, I even kind of like the looks.

That being said, at the moment, I only have one Glock. I traded away my G22, and even though I plan to replace it with a 17 at some point, and will probably buy the G42 if it winds up being a single stack 9mm, as of right now the G19 is my only Glock.

But, with the recent purchase of an SR9c for my wife, I'm (or I guess "We're") now up to 4 Rugers (22/45, sp101, gp100, sr9c). In fact trading away my G22 was part of a deal to get my GP100.
It gets worse.

My long list of handguns I'd like to acquire are:
Glock 17,
Glock 42 - if and only if it's a single stack 9mm
Glock 34 - if and only if I ever stat playing gun games
1911 of some sort (and the SR1911 is in the running)
Ruger Blackhawk
Ruger SBH 4.42"
Ruger SBH Hunter
Ruger Redhawk - to complete my sp101, gp100 collection
Sig 226/9
CZ 75

- so 2-4 Glocks, 3-4 "Assorted" and 8-9 Rugers

Even if I had every gun I want, I'd have mostly Rugers.
And beyond that, mostly Ruger revolvers.
So, even though my Glock is my go-to "primary" gun, maybe I'm really more of a "Ruger guy" than a "Glock guy".
It seems like I might even be one of those "revolver guys" you read about. Which is strange, because for the next few months I'm still technically in my 20's.

Has anyone else had brand loyalty sneak up on them like that?
Old December 11, 2013, 09:56 AM   #2
Tactical Jackalope

I'm glad you like the NY1 and minus connector.

Also, no worries. I was a devout SIG Sauer proponent. Now I'm a Glock guy.
Old December 11, 2013, 10:08 AM   #3
filthy phil

Just got a 19.
want a few more of the 9's, and a big part of it is because I have about 20 x 17 rd mags. After I do some trading I will have 8x 33rd happy sticks
Old December 11, 2013, 10:14 AM   #4
Tactical Jackalope

People like Dayman and Filthy Phil make me really happy.
Old December 11, 2013, 10:18 AM   #5
Spats McGee
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by dayman
While I haven't developed any brand loyalty for Glock, I was pleasantly surprised by my own G19. Enough so that I wrote a review entitled "A Grudging Review of the Glock 19."

That said, I like Rugers. The ones I've had have performed flawlessly. Some of them are ugly, heavy, (seem) over-engineered, but the ones I've had have always eaten every kind of ammo I could dig up to feed them, and they've been as accurate as I was capable of shooting. For years, I've said that if I had to be limited to one brand of gun, it might well be Ruger. The one gap in their lineup, for me, is a pump shotgun.
Old December 11, 2013, 10:20 AM   #6
45_auto

I'm a devout 1911 fan. I love the simple, sleek classic lines. I too also think Glocks look pretty nice, much better than most of the modern stuff with all the molded-in and machined-in curlicues, swoops, and heiroglyphics. I shoot competitons involving 1911's, Glocks, and revolvers.

The gun I carry most often is a Glock 19.

My car gun is a Glock 17.

My primary "go-to" house pistol is a Gen4 Glock 21 (earlier ones were too chunky for me), with a S&W 66 (wife's gun) as secondary.

I also own a Glock 17L, 23, 26, and just bought a 20 Gen4 this past weekend.

I'm not really a Glock fan, it's just hard to argue with something that effortlessly does exactly what it's supposed to as simply and efficiently as possible.
Old December 11, 2013, 10:27 AM   #7
Gaerek

I love Glocks. All of my family who live close are ALL Sig (wife, father-in-law, mother-in-law, wife's aunt) people, so I get a lot of crap. Sig makes good guns, I just don't like them. There's no benefit anymore to hammer fired guns (unless you like that high bore axis?) and they're all over complicated (safeties, decockers and hammers oh my!).

I currently have 2 Glocks. My EDC Gen4 G19, and my favorite handgun of all time, my Gen3 G21. I have big hands, so the gun fits well. It drives tacks and it's a dream to shoot. Stock trigger on my G21, and NY1 spring on my 19, though I've considered picking up the '-' connector for it and seeing what that does to it. On my list of Glocks to get:

G30S (have only seen one in the wild, and it was part of the LE program...so no go)
G42 (I don't care if it's a 9 or .380...I've been wanting an LCP or LC9 for a while to fill a gap in my carry options...so if Glock can do it for me, all the better).

Beyond that, I think I'd like a G17 to use for IDPA style competition, instead of using my G19.

Quote:
Enough so that I wrote a review entitled "A Grudging Review of the Glock 19."
I just read through it, and your experiences are like most people who hate Glocks but have never actually shot one.

Quote:
There's a certain allure to the G19's simplicity, and its utilitarian nature. I don’t want to like Glocks. I really don’t. I’m afraid that I’m beginning to understand some of the appeal, though. Just don’t tell my friends.
From the end of your review. This is so common from people, it hurts. People don't think guns should be made from plastic. That metal is what real guns are made from. Glocks aren't pretty, they aren't something you're going to show off, but when it comes to pure simplicity and usability, there just isn't anything better out there right now.

Last edited by Gaerek; December 11, 2013 at 10:36 AM.
Old December 11, 2013, 10:33 AM   #8
Theohazard

Quote:
Originally Posted by dayman
will probably buy the G42 if it winds up being a single stack 9mm
Unfortunately the Glock 42 is a tiny, single-stack .380.
Old December 11, 2013, 10:35 AM   #9
Spats McGee
Staff

Theohazard, may I ask where you got that information? I'd love to see some documentation.
Old December 11, 2013, 10:37 AM   #10
Gaerek

Quote:
Theohazard, may I ask where you got that information? I'd love to see some documentation.
I'm gonna go out on a limb and say he's following the Internet assumptions based on the size (which is a known value) and the fact that it's more inline with the size of a .380 and not a 9mm (atleast, that's what I read). However, the G42 is almost identical in size to a G26 with a slightly longer grip. It certainly could be a 9mm. As far as I know, and I've been looking, the caliber of the G42 has yet to be released.

Last edited by Gaerek; December 11, 2013 at 10:43 AM.
Old December 11, 2013, 10:39 AM   #11
Theohazard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spats McGee
Yesterday, from a Glock rep. Apparently they're also coming out with a long-slide .45 ACP similar to the 34/35.
Old December 11, 2013, 10:41 AM   #12
Theohazard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaerek
I'm gonna go out on a limb and say he's following the Internet assumptions based on the size
Nope. That's from a Glock rep. Is it true? Who knows? But that's what he told us.
Old December 11, 2013, 10:46 AM   #13
Spats McGee
Staff

I'd heard about the longslide .45, but the other model seemed to be up in the air. Thanks for the clarification, Theohazard.
Old December 11, 2013, 10:46 AM   #14
pilpens

I like 1911s (no specific brand) but I have more S&W revolvers than any other brand. I do not shoot the revolvers as often as I shoot the Semis. My SD/HD pistol is a semi.

What does this mean? Am I truly a revolver guy?

===
I have a Glock 34 and I like it but I would not call my self a Glock fan.
Old December 11, 2013, 10:49 AM   #15
Chaz88

The only brand loyalty I have is to S&W. It did not creep up on me though, I think I was born with it. Even having said that my loyalty is more to the older S&W's.

Glock had a chance but did not catch me. Had a 34 that was a good shooter but no loyalty, I traded it for a .357 lever action.

Ruger? I like the M77 rifles. Their hand guns just do not grab my attention in a good way. Yes, looks do matter in my world.

Colt? Love the looks do not like the price or some of the complicated lock work.

No spelun and grammar is not my specialty. So please don't hurt my sensitive little feelings by teasing me about it.
Old December 11, 2013, 10:51 AM   #16
Theohazard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spats McGee
I'd heard about the longslide .45, but the other model seemed to be up in the air. Thanks for the clarification, Theohazard.
Yeah, I was pretty disappointed when I heard that it wasn't a single-stack 9mm. Up until yesterday, all our main Glock rep would tell us is that their new stuff has polymer lowers (big help!), but this was an LE Glock rep who told us about the 42.
Old December 11, 2013, 10:55 AM   #17
Tactical Jackalope

Quote:
What does this mean? Am I truly a revolver guy?

Some people like being labeled I guess.

I'm a gun guy nothing more or less. I happen to love all guns. But I shoot and prefer Glock's the most for self defense.

The self defense in my mind is a Glock.

The gun enthusiast in my heart is that guns are extremely intriguing and I love learning and collecting them. Figuring out the pros and cons between them. Accuracy. etc etc.
Old December 11, 2013, 02:59 PM   #18
Dragline45

Quote:
Not really. I buy my guns based on how they fit my needs, not by brand. Even though I prefer S&W revolvers, I want a Ruger Redhawk in .45 Colt when they become available again, simply because S&W revolvers cannot handle the super hot heavy .45 Colt rounds. My preference in handguns are DA/SA, and my preference in DA/SA autos is Sig, but instead of a 226 I bought a Beretta M9A1 because I found a bunch of pre-ban 15rd mags for it and I live in a limited capacity state.

So I guess I can say I have preferences for some brands, but do not have loyalty to them.
Old December 11, 2013, 06:39 PM   #19
Fjblair

Not a Glock fan, never owned one but tinkered with plenty. That being said I have a great respect for them and completely understand why they are so popular.
Old December 11, 2013, 08:37 PM   #20
charlesc

quote from OP - "I like the trigger (NY1 spring/"-"connecter)"

what is this NY1 spring/connector? can anyone explain this in simple terms? how does it affect the trigger and what else does it affect? thanks

Is there a Hogue slip on grip for glocks?

Last edited by charlesc; December 11, 2013 at 08:53 PM.
Old December 11, 2013, 08:45 PM   #21
MTT TL

Brand loyalty is more illogical today than in the past. Best tool for the job says I. Who cares who makes it?
Old December 11, 2013, 08:46 PM   #22
VegaSSG32

I guess i will be the outcast here and confess my love for Sig Sauer. I own 4 and Honestly would not own any other pistol for self defense or anything else. We carried them in Iraq, Afghan, and so on. Al tho when asked by friends or co-workers on a pistol to purchase i don't recommend them due to the lack of any safety. I guess what sold me on Sig was during a 2 week tactical school in Virginia while in the service before going overseas. We fired 1500rnds the first 3 days of the school, never passing a brush or clothe on the weapon till day 4. Not a single jam, double feed, stove top, nothing. The weapon performed flawlessly.

Ive been a fan for about 6 years now, and to this day have never had problem one. So to be the odd ball i say Go TEAM SIG!!!
Old December 11, 2013, 08:52 PM   #23
charlesc

vegas what sigs do you recommend?
Old December 11, 2013, 08:55 PM   #24
MTT TL

Most all of the Sigs are pretty good. It is affording them (relative to the Glock) that is hard.
Old December 11, 2013, 08:59 PM   #25
VegaSSG32

CharlesC...

What are you planning on using it for? Target/Range, Conceal Carry, Competition? What Caliber are you looking for?

Message me Sir so we don't tie up the thread.