The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 30, 2012, 07:20 PM   #1
Roland Thunder

.451 or .452

I have been loading 45acp FMJ's for my M&P 45. The diameter if the ones I've loaded is .451. I just ordered some plated 45acp's from Berry's and I found out they are .452. Am I headed for problems or is normal for plated to be .001 larger than FMJ's.

No, I haven't slugged my barrel yet and I don't have time. If the .452's will be a problem I need to cancel the order asap before it gets shipped.
Old April 30, 2012, 08:35 PM   #2
joshf128

Berry's plated bullets behave more like lead bullets than FMJ (as stated on their website) and most 45ACP lead bullets are .452. The thinner copper plating on the Berry's (as compared to a thicker FMJ) is softer so it allows the bullet to conform to the dimensions of the barrel as it is fired.

Long story short, FMJs are .451 and lead/plated are .452 diameter. Don't cancel the order.

Josh
Old April 30, 2012, 09:28 PM   #3
Adamantium

I agree don't cancel the order but for slightly different reasons.

Plated bullets will behave exactly like jacketed bullets but only up to a certain velocity. For Berrys they recommend not going above 1200fps so for 45acp it isn't really an issue.

As for .451 or .452 the truth is the bullet will size down to what your barrel is (if it is even smaller, not all barrels are). It is not a big deal. Plated don't have to be .001 larger, but with Berrys they are. With Rainier plated bullets they are not, so go figure right? The reality is plated bullets don't suffer from gas cutting like lead bullets do so it is an apples to oranges comparison.

You don't need to slug your barrel either and would be in for a real chore if you tried to do it with a plated bullet anyway.