The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old December 30, 2011, 08:47 PM   #1
spitpatch

KIK powder

Been testing some 2F kik recently. 40/65 C-sharps 75, met sights, 34" bar. Shot groups at 100 & 200 yds. The results are quiet promising. The groups are as good as the much more expensive swiss, and the goex cart that is no more. Had 3 sessions at the range with this rifle and one time with a browning bpcr 40/65. The results are good enough that I plan on using it this next year's sil matches. I will continue with this project and post the results.
Has any one else been playing with this powder? If so I would appriciate your comments.
Old December 30, 2011, 08:50 PM   #2
jimbob86

Quote:
The results are quiet promising.

Application is ......... suppressed BPCR? I have never seen a can on a frontstuffer.........

Old December 31, 2011, 07:28 PM   #3
Hellgate

I have noticed that KIK 2Fg is a finer grind than Goex 2Fg. About half way between 2F & 3F Goex. I plan on using some in the C&B revolvers.
SASS#3302 (Life), SASS Regulator, NRA (Life), Dirty Gamey Bastards #129
Wolverton Mtn. Peacekeepers (WA), former Orygun Cowboy (Ranger, Posse from Hell)
Old January 1, 2012, 10:33 AM   #4
spitpatch

BPCR

jimbob: bpcr= black powder cart rifle.
Old January 2, 2012, 02:49 PM   #5
Gatofeo

Interesting observation Hellgate.

I recently purchased a 1970s made Parker Hale reproduction of the 1858 Enfield muzzleloading rifle. This .58-caliber, British-made repro is noted for high quality and accuracy.

The weather's been so lousy that I haven't been out with it (shivering in rain, snow or high wind while trying to shoot is not my idea of fun).

Anyway, in lieu of shooting, I did a lot of internet searching on this model, and shooting .58 caliber military rifles.
Here's what's interesting: A number of posts from experienced shooters noted that the 19th century "Musket Grade" powder is equal to or very close to today's FFFG black powder granulation.
Presumably, remnants of 19th century powder, in paper cartridges and containers, was compared to today's granulation.
Consequently, British competitors who shoot the original and reproduction Enfields -- out to as much as 1,000 yards -- use FFFG powder. This is contrary to the loading manuals I've been reading for 40-plus years, that suggest using FFG granulation in large rifles and muskets.

I have about 8 pounds of Kik powder, in FFG and FFFG granulation, but I've never used it. I've been using my supply of Goex for cap and ball revolvers and a .50-caliber CVA Mountain Rifle.

I plan to use Kik powder in my 1858 Enfield when the weather warms. It would seem that Kik is milled to the 19th century specification.
Interesting.