The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old June 21, 2016, 12:32 PM   #26
osbornk

I think an old Taurus model 80 (copy of the S&W model 10) is a good choice if it has been cared for. I have a model 84 (copy of the S&W 15) and it is an excellent shooter.

They are trying to sell them for a little over $200 on Gunbroker but I think they should be a $200 gun. My neighbor paid $200 for it years ago and I traded him a Hi-Point even for it.
Old June 21, 2016, 05:17 PM   #27
DaleA

Well, I could find a very few $300 revolvers but I'd need to take someone along with me that could really check out a used revolver otherwise, at $300 I think I would run a fair chance of getting a junk gun.

My advice, save up a couple hundred more.
Old June 21, 2016, 05:47 PM   #28
shafter

For strictly $300 I couldn't get much. For a bit more out of pocket a Model 10 would be a great choice, as would a Ruger semiauto if that option was available.

Most likely I would use the money towards something much more expensive and reduce the out of pocket expense of acquiring something I really wanted.
Old June 21, 2016, 05:59 PM   #29
Deaf Smith

Quote:
If I Handed you $300, What do you buy?
Revolver? Can't find to many for 300 buckos.

But, just spied ANOTHER Ruger stainless slide LCP .380 for $199. I got one two weeks ago, stainless slide, for $161, tax included.

Yea I know they ain't wheelguns, and they are plastic ones to boot, but $300 just don't go far these days unless you are real pawnshop savvy.

I even found a Glock 19, 3ed gen, for $300.

I sure miss finding S&W 19 snubs for that price. I just am a fool for a snub K frame. But you are lucky to find those for $500 now in good shape.

Deaf
Old June 21, 2016, 06:00 PM   #30
StumpShooter

You can find modern recent production Taurus snub nose revolvers for that price on Armslist or a local gun store
Old June 21, 2016, 06:21 PM   #31
turkeestalker

http://armscor.com/firearms/revolver-series/

I do not yet own one of these but have handled both the model M200 and the M206, and I intend to own each eventually.
They just aren't on my short list.
Both models are all steel six shot 38 Special revolvers and though the finish on the blue models leaves tons to be desired, their matte nickel finish is quite sharp.
Aside from the nickel M206 which was slightly over, all are well under $300 from any reputable seller and I think you could find it for less than that as well.

If Armscor builds these like they build their 1911s, I doubt you could go very wrong.

Just to clarify after looking at the MSRP listed in the link, the nickel M206 I saw NIB at a lgs recently carried a price tag of $329 before tax. That is the only one I've ever seen that was $300 or above, and it was no where near the MSRP.

Last edited by turkeestalker; June 21, 2016 at 06:31 PM.
Old June 21, 2016, 08:35 PM   #32
Super Sneaky Steve

Model 10. I bought a 4" bull barrel for $200. It's one of my best shooting guns.

With $300 you'd have $100 left for ammo.
Old June 21, 2016, 08:39 PM   #33
Broker

I just bought a used satin nickel S&W 442 for $299.00, so I suppose that would be my answer.........
Old June 21, 2016, 09:14 PM   #34
James K
Member In Memoriam

Everyone repeats the same old mantra "condition is everything". For a collectors gun, and all else being equal, the outside condition is the most important determinant of value. But when the budget is tight and the gun is for use, not looking at, appearance means little. As an example, a LGS has two S&W Victory Models (the old .38 revolver, not he new .22 auto). One is in poor outside condition, but has the new hammer block and has been fired little; mechanically it is in excellent shape. The price was $300. The other has the old hammer block, but the Parkerizing is about perfect, the grips are excellent; the price is $450.

For the collector's safe, the latter is the better choice; but for a practical and economic SD/HD revolver, the first is better and you can still buy a fair amount of practice ammo or even a loading tool for the $150 difference.

Jim
Old June 21, 2016, 11:39 PM   #35
dgludwig

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgludwig View Post
I agree with smee78-no question about it.

Are these a common used gun to find?

J&G Sales is currently selling used, square-butt, Model 10 revolvers with 4" heavy barrels in "good to very good" condition for $349.95.
Old June 22, 2016, 11:05 AM   #36
stonewall50

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamarw View Post
I was quick on the trigger and went ahead and bought it this past December. It is a S&W Model 10-6 (4" heavy barrel) trade-in from the Mobile, AL Police Dept. SWAT. With sales tax (10%), it came to $298.71. You can keep the change and simply send me the offered money preferable via a postal money order.

Thank you so much for your generous refund of money already out of pocket.

This may seem like an odd question but I have never heard of and I'm wondering what a police trade-in is?
Old June 22, 2016, 11:20 AM   #37
stonewall50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deja vu View Post
I like some of the responses!

Me too. This has been one of the best threads I have ever started. It is always good as a mental exercise to see what one could acquire if they had a simple requirement and really pushed for it.

In my case? I need something to match all this spare .38 ammo lying around.
Old June 22, 2016, 11:47 AM   #38
Onward Allusion

S&W Model 10.
Old June 22, 2016, 12:45 PM   #39
lamarw

The term "Police Trade-In" is a generic term referring primarily to firearms generally used by law enforcement (LE) agencies to offset the cost of new firearms or other equipment. It can also be things like tactical lights or sights and other gear. Often thought of as former LE firearms, but some LE agencies also trade-in confiscated items. The seller to the public is often a LE distributor of new firearms and other tactical gear.

There appears to be some sellers who have even obtained these items in bulk from, I gather, LE auctions and even foreign sources of LE forearms arms and equipment.

I imagine other Forum members will have greater insight into the nature of the "Trade-In" business.
Old June 22, 2016, 01:01 PM   #40
Mike Irwin
Staff

Reloading supplies to fuel the many, many S&W Hand Ejectors that I already own...

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old June 22, 2016, 10:57 PM   #41
Bearmollie

I would buy a bounty hunter 357. I have to 22 magnum 22lc bounty hunters I have a stainless steel Charles Daly 45 Long Colt. The pieta has a 30 ounce trigger pool the bounty hunters are 4lbs

Last edited by Bearmollie; June 22, 2016 at 11:03 PM.
Old June 22, 2016, 11:06 PM   #42
Bearmollie

I have an idea send me the 300 and I'll show you what I'm going to buy. Hey it sounded like a good idea
Old June 24, 2016, 12:17 AM   #43
ifithitu

A small 9 mm,if i could fine one for $ 300 or less!
Old June 24, 2016, 07:32 AM   #44
sarge83

I have noticed the Model 10's have jumped quite a bit in price in my area. You could pick up a nice one just a couple of years ago for $200-$300 range. Now they have hit $400-$500 range. There is a nice pre-model 10 in the showcase of my local gun/pawn that is over the $550 range. I love old revolvers, but not that much.
Old June 24, 2016, 09:03 AM   #45
aarondhgraham

Ammunition,,,

Ammunition,,,
I have enough guns now,,,
One can never have too much ammunition.

Aarond

Aarond is good,,, Aarond is wise,,, Always trust Aarond! (most of the time)
Old June 24, 2016, 01:05 PM   #46
The_Jerkman

I would buy 3 boxes of .300wby ammunition because those bad boys are damn expensive

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Old June 24, 2016, 11:16 PM   #47
kozak6

It's a difficult exercise.

There's really a tremendous amount of viable semiautomatics in this price range, but almost no revolvers. If the purpose of the thread allowed, I'd certainly recommend a semiauto instead.

Anyways, you could take your chances with a Taurus or Rossi. There's even some stainless models in this price range.

An EAA Windicator might be an option. I haven't fired one, but they get ok reviews.

I'd skip RIA/Armscor. A lot of them tend to spit or have issues.

The Ruger Six series recently spiked hard in price. They aren't currently any cheaper than used current production models. I wish they were still a steal.

The best option would be to go donate plasma a couple times or eat ramen for a couple weeks and pick up a S&W J-frame for a little more money. They can be found in the low to mid $300 range, which isn't far off.

From there, that leaves the abused and antiques, but those are risky.

You could probably find something like an H&R top break, but they are chambered in weird old expensive calibers you'd have to order online. And you couldn't fix it if it had issues.

If you found something else cheap because it was beat up and rusty, you might be lucky, or there might be other issues. One thing about revolvers is that if you can even get parts, there's a chance that the parts will require hand fitting. Expensive hand fitting.
Old June 25, 2016, 08:51 AM   #48
tallball

When my friend was revolver shopping at a gun show with me he found an older Taurus Model 66 for $300. Those older Model 66's tend to be good ones. He also found a used Armscor for $180. Both were in good shape.

The days of widely available $200 used K frames are long past; I am assuming that those comments are attempts at comedy.

I am also assuming that we are sticking to absolute max $300 OTD. There is not much you can get for that price by running out to Academy and buying something brand-new. Those little Heritage SA 22's come to mind.

For Gunbroker, $300 OTD would be a $250 or less winning bid - plus about $25 shipping and $25 FFL fee. This is not impossible, but it takes patience. In the past few years I have found some in this price range, but in each case it took patience - usually a couple of months of "stalking". I will list some below.

Two HR/NEF snub revolvers in 32 H&R magnum, both in very good shape, each less than $150 winning bid (I wanted to check out the caliber). A Charter Arms 32 H&R magnum snub in excellent condition for around $220 winning bid - apparently no one wanted the pink one. Two 100-year-old S&W revolvers with poor finish for winning bids of less than $150 apiece - a 38 special K frame and a 32 long J frame - they are both ugly, both work fine, and the 38 was a long search indeed. A Ruger Single Six with poor finish and a small part missing for around $125 winning bid - all it needed was a bottle of cold blue and $25 worth of parts (my crowning achievement in bargain shopping, and it was a VERY long search). There were also a couple more 22's. (I won't get into the semiautos, but I have also scored quite a few of those for $300 or less OTD.)

If someone wanted one right away, there are usually some older Taurus military surplus 38 specials for $200 or so. I think they are Models 80, 82, and 83? They might be kind of worn, but I would expect them to be functional.

It's true that you get what you pay for. But time, patience, and knowledge are also means of payment, and if you add in a moderate amount of money, you can get revolvers in that price range that function well.

Here is a gratuitous "after" picture of the Single Six 22lr. $125 bid + $25 shipping + $25 FFL fee +$25 parts and shipping + $10 cold blue = $210 total. You can see by the turn line that it has been shot a lot, but it locks up tight and is extremely accurate. Some days I shoot my Buck Mark better, some days I shoot the Single Six better.

Last edited by tallball; June 25, 2016 at 10:58 AM.
Old June 25, 2016, 09:00 AM   #49
BarryLee

Ammo...
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old June 26, 2016, 07:01 PM   #50
stonewall50

I looked at a local place and I'm thinking finding a used .38 would be pretty easy under $400. Even new one. I just don't know if I could find one at $300. That isn't bad and it makes me fee I could get one even if I "ramen noodle it." Though it is hard to "ramen noodle" yourself on a ramen noodle budget already lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk