The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 1, 2013, 03:57 PM   #1
rebs

reloading PMC 5.56 cases ?

Has anyone reloaded these cases ? How good are they ? They are military with a crimped primer.
Old May 1, 2013, 05:25 PM   #2
PA-Joe

Get a good universal deprimer. Be careful cause the ones I had also had a lot of off-center primer holes. Once you get the primer out and de-crimp them they are great.
Old May 2, 2013, 02:03 PM   #3
m&p45acp10+1

I treat them like any other crimped primer round. I have quite a few of them. I remove the primer crimp, and load them just the same as all the rest of my .223 Rem brass. I shoot a bolt action Savage Model 12 FSSV. The rounds I load with mixed head stamp will give half MOA or better on a crappy day. On a good day where I do my part right, and wind is calm so my target stays stationary I get sub quarter MOA.
Old May 2, 2013, 02:18 PM   #4
jonathon1289

I have a bunch of the PMC x-tac 5.56 brass and it is not crimped. Haven't actually reloaded and shot yet, just deprimed and sized with no issue.
Old May 2, 2013, 02:54 PM   #5
Wyoredman

I just primed 150 of them last night.

I don't have a swage, but I do have a Hornady primer pocket cutter installed on my RCBS case prep center. That tool along with the RCBS de-burring tool allow me to cut the primer crimp out of the pocket.

I first use the Hornady cutter, then bevel the pocket with the RCBS tool. It is a bit of a pain, but I got through the 150 pcs. in about an hour last night.

The primers are still pretty tough to seat, but they seem ok. I de-capped a few just to check that the primers were not being distorted. They all looked oK to me. The real test will come when I get a chance to fire them.

PMC does make some brass that isn't crimped, as I have loaded many without any crimping.

Good luck.
Old May 2, 2013, 03:02 PM   #6
Gary L. Griffiths

I found PMC cases to be the most consistent by far of the "civilian" cases that I've loaded. Not quite as consistent as LC military, but almost!
Violence is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and valorous feeling which believes that nothing is worth violence is much worse. Those who have nothing for which they are willing to fight; nothing they care about more than their own craven apathy; are miserable creatures who have no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the valor of those better than themselves. Gary L. Griffiths (Paraphrasing John Stuart Mill)