The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old December 5, 2012, 07:06 PM   #26
tAKticool

Yeah but I'm pretty sure it was physically damaged / opened box when I got it, if I did not include that in the message you are attempting to insert into this, I had suspected the package I got shipped to me was previously opened and or damaged to begin with, but I saw no actual *marks* on the scope and shoot, I admit fully, I was so excited I overlooked my initial trepidation.

Having had trouble zeroing it, I took it to Dick's where I had bought it (bought it online, they don't carry what they call "top tier" scopes in the stores, and when he noticed it was way off too, he IMMEDIATELY OFFERED to have it returned and a new one sent to me, And I said, you know I did think it was an open or damaged box I got, they said "you should not have even taken a chance, send it right back, $600 is way too much not to be perfect."

So in my humble opinion that had nothing to do with Nikon. *AND* even if i had kept it, Nikon has a full lifetime warranty ... 'NO TIME LIMIT APPLIES, NO CARD IS NECESSARY, EVEN IF YOU'RE NOT THE ORIGINAL OWNER..."

sO i am COMPLETELY comfortable with my new Nikon Monarch *AND* the two Nikon ProStaffs 4-12x40mm 's I have on two .22LR's I have. Could not be happier.
Old December 5, 2012, 08:12 PM   #27
chucknbach

Sorry seemed like an internal problem as you described it.
Old December 7, 2012, 01:40 AM   #28
458winshooter

Scopes

This summer I watched a 600yd benchrest match at a local range.These guys have both heavy and light rifles and shoot at 1000yds as well.One guy had 36x Weavers on both of his rifles but everyone else had scopes of 40x or more.Most were some form of a Nightforce.
Old December 7, 2012, 07:04 AM   #29
4runnerman

458winshooter--Weaver T-36 has been a long standing scope in the bench rest field. They are a very good scope and track very well. Only issue you might have is in shooting shorter distances. At 36 power only it is a task sometimes to find a target at 300 yards. Nightforce are awesome scopes,they have a tendency to put a big dent in your wallet. I would love to have a Nightforce on my bench rifle. One of the guy's I shoot with has 7 Bench Rifles,all 7 have Nightforce scopes on them. I did look very close at the T-36,but decided to go with a Sightron instead. Have been very happy with it.

I did just do some research on Mueller scopes. The reviews came in very well for a lower priced scope. I decided to try one in the 8-32 x 44 flavor on my 22-250. I must say i am impressed so far with it. I did the box test with it and my 5th shot was with in 1/2 inch of the first,not bad for a 250.00 scope.
At 32 power eye relief was still very easy and sight picture was more than ok for my 51 yr old eyes. In fact i liked it so much for that price that i am going to get one more for my 308.
Old December 7, 2012, 04:17 PM   #30
scsov509

Quote:
I did just do some research on Mueller scopes. The reviews came in very well for a lower priced scope. I decided to try one in the 8-32 x 44 flavor on my 22-250. I must say i am impressed so far with it. I did the box test with it and my 5th shot was with in 1/2 inch of the first,not bad for a 250.00 scope.
At 32 power eye relief was still very easy and sight picture was more than ok for my 51 yr old eyes. In fact i liked it so much for that price that i am going to get one more for my 308.
Same experience here with Mueller. I picked up an old Stevens short action this last year and decided to build a 223 coyote gun/plinker on it. It was a budget build from the onset and I decided I'd try a budget optic to keep the theme. So I picked up a Mueller APT off hearing so many good things about it, and it's impressed me quite a bit for a less than $200 optic. Mine also runs the box well, returns to zero, and the glass stays good and clear all the way to full power. My only complaint thus far is the turrets are a tad mushy, but other than that it's an optic I wouldn't hesitate to purchase again if I was looking for budget glass.
Old December 7, 2012, 04:33 PM   #31
nate45

Quote:
Originally Posted by scsov509
Mil/Mil is awesome if you like shooting a mildot, because having your adjustments match your reticle just makes exponentially more sense. It's especially nice for dialing up adjustments and calling your own shots because you don't have to do any math to make adjustments that you see through your reticle, you just watch what you see and adjust accordingly. I held off getting away from MOA adjustments for a long time, but after I made the switch I really wished I'd made it sooner.
I couldn't agree more. If you really want the latest, best setup for playing sniper. Mil/Mil is the way to go. Especially for on the fly range correction with no spotter. If you have a spotter, often instructions like, 2 mils up, one mil right, etc will allow for quit hits, with out adjusting the turrets.
Old December 7, 2012, 05:14 PM   #32
Metal god

Just so I understand correctly . A mil-mil scope has a mil-dot reticle and the windage and elevation are in mils as well . If one mil is 3.37 MOA what would one click be on the scope be . one click = 1/4 mil or .84 MOA ?

I stated before I like the mil-dot reticle with moa wind & elev adjustments cus it's what I know . I think Im starting to worm up to the this Vortex viper MOA reticle http://www.vortexoptics.com/uploads/...r-624f1-a2.pdf This seems to be much easier to calculate . I've always liked working with the inches calculations . My targets are rarely exactly 1 or 2 meters high . When I break it down in to inches I can range a target thats 4' high or 5' high using the 27.77 calculation better . so I was thinking the MOA to MOA reticle with all measurements being in inches would be easier ?

any thoughts ?

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .

Last edited by Metal god; December 7, 2012 at 05:23 PM.
Old December 7, 2012, 09:24 PM   #33
nate45

They have 1/10th Mil adjustments. So 10 clicks is 1 Mil.
Old December 8, 2012, 05:01 AM   #34
scsov509

Quote:
I was thinking the MOA to MOA reticle with all measurements being in inches would be easier? Any thoughts?
I think the ideal setup in any reticle is having the subtensions and adjustments match, especially if you're wanting to dial adjustments rather than hold them. What that does again is make it so that you can call your own shots and then dial up adjustments according to what you see in the scope. So if you see a shot impact 2 MOA off the mark through your reticle, then you dial 2 MOA on your turret to adjust and fire away. Same with a Mil/Mil reticle: You miss by 2 mils then you dial 2 mils and fire again. If the subtensions match the turrets then it's just quick and easy, which is what I want when I'm shooting at distance.

So if MOA is what you like, then an MOA/MOA reticle is the way to go, and that's precisely why you're seeing more reticles now like the aforementioned Vortex that uses MOA subtensions with MOA adjustments. If you feel best with MOA then you'd love the MOA/MOA setup, and I think you'd be pleased with the quality of Vortex glass as well.