The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old August 19, 2002, 12:35 AM   #1
Sisco

Unsavory Signs

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,60720,00.html
Unsavory Signs

Anti-hunting activists in Maine say pro-hunting signs outside of town insisting that "Animals Taste Good" are offensive and should be removed, reports the Press Herald.

Two signs, in a traffic circle in Kittery, Maine, bear the slogans "Animals Taste Good" and "Target Practice." They urge voters to reject a proposal that would restrict people from carrying weapons in a local state forest. Nancy Bogenberger, one of the petitioners seeking the ban on hunting, denies asking town councilors to remove the signs but insists they are offensive.

"It's kind of silly," Bogenberger said of the signs. "But I don't think hunters are the kind of people that you can call responsible anyway. They're not decent people if they kill for fun."

But town Councilor Mark Sousa says they should stay. He said he is tired of animal rights activists complaining about them -- especially when activists have their own signs up urging voters to pass the ordinance.

"Personally, I don't think the sign that says 'Animals Taste Good' is in good taste," he said. "But if [hunters] have to take our signs down, they have to take theirs down, too."
Old August 19, 2002, 09:26 AM   #2
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

I keep looking for emotional stability and intellectual maturity in the bliss-ninny anti-hunting crowd. In some 30 years, I've not found it.

, Art
Old August 20, 2002, 11:04 AM   #3
justice4all

I think this is covered by the First Amendment.
Old August 21, 2002, 02:43 AM   #4
MikeTx

Kill 'em and grill 'em.
Old August 21, 2002, 10:41 AM   #5
MarineTech

The people here in Southern Maine (where I live) are really starting to piss me off. We're inundated by out of staters that move to Maine to get away from their home state, but want to bring all the same ideas with them. We've had numerous run-ins with these folks trying to restrict hunting in various areas throughout the Southern part of the state. Most have been defeated so far, but they keep trying.

Northern Maine (Where I'm originally from) is still pretty much pristine though. You can walk into the grocery store with a gun on your hip during hunting season and nobody bats an eye. Try that in Southern Maine and folks will flip.

I'm pretty even minded about most folks, but if you move here because you don't like how things are in your home state, don't change the way we do things.

- We who are about to die, don't want to. -
Old August 21, 2002, 06:21 PM   #6
MarineTech

Just a little update on the issue for you folks. This is from the local newspaper The Portland Press Herald.

Wednesday, August 21, 2002
Voters in Kittery overwhelmingly reject controversial hunting ban

By TED COHEN, Portland Press Herald Writer
Copyright © 2002 Blethen Maine Newspapers Inc.

KITTERY — A controversial referendum to ban hunting in the 72-acre Town Farm Forest was soundly defeated Tuesday.
The vote was 1,093 to 396.
"I think we have made our point," said Town Councilor Mark Sousa, among those in favor of hunting in the forest. Residents had voted against changing the ordinance that governs the forest on two previous occasions.
Nancy Bogenberger, a member of Kittery Wildlife Friends, was upset by the results. "Evil thrives when good men do nothing, and I think the people of Kittery did nothing," she said.
Members of Kittery Wildlife Friends, led by Sue Johnson, had gathered more than 900 valid signatures in June in their effort to overturn the hunting ordinance.
The proposal put them at odds with local hunters and state wildlife officials, who said an abundance of deer in southern Maine poses a threat to local residents.
Lyme disease and automobile accidents involving deer would increase if another town in southern Maine closed a hunting zone, they said.
People who live near the forest supported the referendum, saying they felt threatened by the presence of hunters armed with rifles with a range of nearly a mile.
Bogenberger attributed the defeat to a poor turnout by the town's non-hunters, who are a vast majority of the population.
Among those voting against the referendum was John Eisfeller, a young father and avid hunter. "There's only so much area you can hunt on as it is now," Eisfeller said as he left the polls at Shapleigh School, his daughter perched on his shoulders.
Louise Sprague reflected the other faction. She and her husband Ralph, retirees, voted to ban hunting. "I'm just against killing those beautiful animals," she said.
Johnson and Bogenberger support alternative methods of controlling the deer population.
Johnson, who does not eat meat or dairy products, favors using contraceptives as a way to control the deer population.
Sousa argued that there was little likelihood of controlling the local deer population by using contraceptives, saying the technique has failed to control herd populations elsewhere.
The campaign got ugly in the days leading up to the election.
Two signs that were put up along the Kittery traffic circle — bearing the slogans "Animals Taste Good" and "Target Practice" — urged voters to defeat the hunting restrictions. Animal-rights activists cried foul. No one took credit for making the signs.
The signs were still on the rotary Tuesday, along with many others espousing both sides of the issue.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So I have just 2 questions here. What kind of contraceptives is this woman recommending they use and how are they going to apply them?

I mean seriously...... Are we going to have Maine Guides and Wardens running through the woods waving condoms at the deer? What color are the clouds in this womans world?

- We who are about to die, don't want to. -