The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old August 9, 2002, 05:28 PM   #1
ckurts

Factory Hunting Load for .223

The game to be hunted are smallish deer (under 100 lbs) or feral pigs about the same weight or less and the range will be 25-100 yards. The hunter is an excellent shot with any handgun or an M-16. (She has never shot at anything with a heartbeat, however).

The firearm used will be a scoped Mini-14 Ranch Rifle. She's practiced with it and will again. I've previously advised this person to use Winchester 64 grain Powerpoints- I was just wondering if there's anything better out there.

Kurt
Old August 9, 2002, 08:30 PM   #2
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Probably oughta do okay, stipulating proper aim, etc. If there are factory 70-grain loads, those might be a tad better. Probably not as critical a difference as "calm aiming".

Art
Old August 10, 2002, 06:27 AM   #3
Byron Adams

The Winchester 64 grain or the Federal in the 62(?) grain Nosler partition would be good. Art, are you referring to the Speer 70 grain semi spitzer? This is an an excellent bullet for deer.
Old August 10, 2002, 11:18 AM   #4
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Yeah, I guess it's the Speer. I shot some my uncle had loaded, some 25 years back. They grouped quite nicely, in a Ruger 77 that's 1/2 MOA with the 55-grain spitzers. I guess that means the shape makes them not too long for the twist rate of the barrel.

Art
Old August 10, 2002, 03:52 PM   #5
Byron Adams

I have the old Speer #10 Manual. The bullet was designed for the 1 in 12. While not a match bullet, it is accurate. It is very poplar for deer hunting in the N GA mountains and many use the Mini 14 loaded with it.
Old August 12, 2002, 08:41 AM   #6
ckurts

Thanks folks. Byron, I've got that old Speer manual myself and some good clean .223 brass, but no dies or bullets and the only real rifle powder I have in stock is IMR 4198. (The only rifle round I'm set up for now is 7.62X39). My latest Midway flyer shows the Speer 70 gr at $11.54 for 100. I might try some load development later on.

Art, I heard that about "calm aiming". The "lady in question" is my wife, and she's pretty calm when we shoot little informal competions with friends. (She also shot Marksman in the Army- being ex-Navy myself, I'm not sure what that means). She's a better pistol shot in general than I am. Full size hunting rifles are a problem for her. Though she doesn't talk about it all that much, she grew up killing chickens and rabbits to make dinner, so I don't think she'll get a sudden attack of bambi-ism. She also knows to wait for a good neck or head shot.

Kurt
Old August 12, 2002, 09:33 AM   #7
Byron Adams

There are three qualifications in the Army for rifle shooting: Marksman,Sharpshooter and Expert. I went through in 1968 and qualified on the M-14. Later(68-69) I spent a year in nam as a grunt using the 16 and have a lot of respect for the round.
Try OLIN 748 with the 70 grain semi spitzer. The maximum charge shown is truly MAX.
Kurt, I note you and Art are from Texas. This old Georgia boy will soon be moving to the Sherman/Dennison area. Any information on public hunting or private reseves would be appreciated. Byron
Old August 13, 2002, 12:34 PM   #8
ckurts

Byron-I've known several vets who were grunts in Nam that told stories of the effectiveness of the round, and I've seen plenty of game killed with it. I've no doubt it will do the job that I'm asking of it.

The best place for info on public hunting areas would be the Texas Parks & Wildlife hunting site: http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/hunt/index.htm .

Hunting on private lands can get pretty pricey. Expect to pay a minimum of $250/day/hunter. I just recieved some email spam advertising a 3 day Hill Country deer and wild hog hunt for $2250 (meals and lodging included). Best place to look is in the classifieds in the newspapers when it gets toward opening season (bird season and big game archery season are right around the corner). Word of mouth is good, too. Talk to folks.

Welcome to Texas! I wasn't born here but I got here fast as I could.
Old August 13, 2002, 07:09 PM   #9
Byron Adams

Kurt, thanks for the info. I have the site under Favorites and will spend some time. The hunts are expensive. My VA check only goes so far. I should be able to meet pople when we are settled in and find a church.
Yes, the 55 grain fmj is awesome. When you talk to the grunts you mentioned, tell them I was in D Co, 3/8th INF, 4th INF Div 68-69. Byron
Old August 14, 2002, 09:24 PM   #10
BluRidgDav

I used a Mini-14 Ranch to hunt those small TX deer one time, long ago. Back then, the WIN 64PP was the heaviest game bullet available in a factory load. Funny thing, it grouped about a foot higher than 55fmj @ 100yds. I don't know why? My AR-15 kept those 2 different loads within a couple of inches of each other. Years later, in a different Mini-14, the same thing happened, 64PP hitting 12 inches higher than 55fmj.

Lately, I've seen a FED 55 Trophy Bonded Bear Claw load that should hold together pretty well on small deer. There's also a 62 TBBC "Tactical" load that is Law Enforcement ONLY (I don't know why?), but you may find a box or two that "escaped" police custody.
Old August 15, 2002, 04:06 PM   #11
ckurts

We found out about the disparity between the 64 gr and 55 gr. grouping last year at the range. I had sighted the Mini dead on at 100 yds when I first bought it with 55 gr American Eagle and it was happy with anything in that weight, even with gunshow handloads and old-looking milsurp. I was very surprised to see the 64 gr. PP hitting center but 8-10" high. When I resighted it for that load, it groups 62 gr. FMJ almost exactly with the 64 gr. PP.

As you noted, my AR owning friends were quite surprised at the difference as well and attributed it somehow to the superiority of the AR, but I really don't know.