The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old January 26, 2013, 10:47 PM   #1
mendozer

scope for 22

I know there are numerous ideas on scopes for 22 rimfires

some say a 4x20 is enough. My Marlin came with one and it sucks. I just ordered a Gamo scope online 4-12x40. it's their most expensive scope. Is Gamo reliable?

I know the pricier ones garner more love like Leupold, etc. Basically will it be a good scope for me?
Old January 27, 2013, 01:38 AM   #2
Yung.gunr

Up to 12x is probably a little overkill for a .22lr. Eh.. Each their own. With my .22lr Savage MkII I went with a cheaper Simmons 3-9x30. Works great for plinking. It was my first scope as well so I wanted to start out cheaper.
Old January 27, 2013, 02:10 AM   #3
sholling

Scope selection really depends on what you plan to use the rifle for but the one common theme should be quality and you're not going to buy a decent scope for less than $100. I have Weaver and Nikon 3-9x rimfire scopes on my hunting 22s and 6-24x42 and 24x40 scopes on my target 22s so magnification is all about what you plan to do with the rifle. For hunting and plinking a Weaver RV4 4x28 or RV7 2.5-7x28 is plenty of scope for most people and are well made scopes with very good optical quality that are built to last a lifetime. Quality matters when it comes to scopes and nothing is more frustrating than a cheap scope that shifts zero or breaks when you need it and it is no more economical to buy and replace a cheap scope 2-3 times than it is to buy a good scope once.

Gamo scopes are airgun scopes which is better than it sounds because airguns are hard on scopes and to survive they have to be fairly rugged. On the other hand I haven't looked through one and so can't say how good it is optically, for $65 I'd guess marginal. FYI you'll want to avoid centerfire scopes unless they have some form of parallax adjustment like an adjustable objective (AO) or side focus. Rimfire scopes are set to be parallax free at 50 or 60yds while centerfire scopes are set for 100 or 120yds.

Weaver RV9 3-9x32 Rimfire on a custom Ruger 10/22.

Last edited by sholling; January 29, 2013 at 12:00 PM.
Old January 27, 2013, 07:16 AM   #4
madcratebuilder

Mueller 4.5-14X44 APV, AO, .25moa turrets and 1" tube, or the APT with mil dot and 30mm tube. You well not find better glass for the price.
Old January 27, 2013, 02:41 PM   #5
mendozer

i kinda figured air gun scopes would be decent. well, if it's not great, i spent $48 on a $96 dollar scope so I can sell it and break even or something.

You lost me on the parallax at 50 yd thing. I'm a newb to scopes
Old January 29, 2013, 12:24 PM   #6
sholling

Quote:
Originally Posted by mendozer
You lost me on the parallax at 50 yd thing. I'm a newb to scopes
This explanation is a bit technical but not too hard to follow and it explains parallax better than anything else I've come across and I recommend reading it. Put in simple terms parallax errors are aiming errors introduced when your eye isn't lined up with the crosshairs 100% perfectly each and every time you bring the scope up to your eye. Close one eye and hold one finger vertically at arms length like the front sight of a rifle - now move your head from side to side a few inches and you'll see your "point of aim" shifts. That's an extreme example of what parallax shift is. With a scope your eye placement maybe off just a tiny bit and thus throw off your aim just a little teeny-tiny bit - small fractions of an inch at say 25yds. The manufacturers correct for this at a set distance - roughly 50 or 60yds for rimfire scopes (depending on the manufacturer) and 100 or 120yds for centerfire scopes. Everything nearer or farther is close enough for hunting and plinking but at short ranges leave the possibility of just enough error to frustrate a target shooter. Anyway read the link because it explains it better than I can.

As a side note fixed focus rimfire scopes are usually set to be in focus from roughly 25yds on.

Last edited by sholling; January 29, 2013 at 12:31 PM.
Old January 29, 2013, 02:13 PM   #7
mendozer

ooh good info thanks
Old January 29, 2013, 02:40 PM   #8
Fishbed77

Quote:
Mueller 4.5-14X44 APV, AO, .25moa turrets and 1" tube, or the APT with mil dot and 30mm tube. You well not find better glass for the price.
Hard to beat a Mueller APV on a .22LR rifle. It's a lot of scope for the money.

Last edited by Fishbed77; January 29, 2013 at 02:52 PM.
Old January 29, 2013, 03:16 PM   #9
L_Killkenny

You've already ordered the scope and now you ask about it? Try it and the let US know how it is.

But here lies the problem. You wrote of 4x scopes cause your Marlin came with one? Was it a good one? A bad one? How did you decide? What scope is it? etc Etc. Not all scopes are created equal and sounds like you could you use a lot more info than just that about the scope you already ordered.

For the record, I've never seen a Marlin .22lr that needed more than a good ol' 4x.
Old January 29, 2013, 03:49 PM   #10
mendozer

the scope that came with it is alright. i can group under an inch at 50 yds but i can't see the middle of the target at 100, i have to imagine it, which i don't like.

Plus as with any scope that comes with a low end gun, it's not fabulous.

True i don't need more than 4x, but I like to see as far as possible to make the most accurate shots. And yes it was an impulse buy that's why I'm asking after buying it lol.
Old February 5, 2013, 09:53 PM   #11
mendozer

well i got it today. It's a huge beast compared to the puny 4x20 i have. I can't seem for the life of me to make the crosshairs more clear. Until I take it to the range and try things out, I won't know how this handles.

on another note, the parallax is stated at 30 yds for what its worth
Old February 6, 2013, 03:55 AM   #12
sholling

On most scopes there is a ring at the rear of the scope for focusing the crosshairs. It's not for focusing the target just the crosshairs.
Old February 7, 2013, 03:50 PM   #13
mendozer

yeah it looks like there is one. it's solid. I'll try some tools when i get home
Old February 7, 2013, 07:20 PM   #14
sholling

There may be a lock ring.
Old February 8, 2013, 01:15 AM   #15
mendozer

yup that's exactly what it is. but its tight as hell, almost looks glued. I'll try a monkeywrench and towel and see how it goes.
Old February 9, 2013, 09:43 PM   #16
mendozer

well i got the lockring loose. no matter whether i adjust the front piece forward or back, the crosshairs are still fuzzy. I'm doing this with my contacts on too
Old February 9, 2013, 11:06 PM   #17
Onward Allusion

For a 22LR, if you're not a serious target shooter, a Simmons, Tasco, or Bushnell 3x9x40 or 50 will work fine. I like 50mm 'cause it provides more light with the less expensive optics.
Old February 10, 2013, 12:17 AM   #18
gpjoe

Try focusing the reticle without your contacts. I've found that I can't get a clear focus on any of my scope reticles when I'm wearing my glasses, so I basically focus and shoot with plain ole safety glasses. YMMV.
Old February 10, 2013, 03:50 AM   #19
sholling

Quote:
well i got the lockring loose. no matter whether i adjust the front piece forward or back, the crosshairs are still fuzzy.
That's why I don't buy cheap Chinese made scopes I just don't like dealing with the unnecessary hassles. Anyway try looking through a good scope and see if you can see the crosshairs clearly that will tell you if it's your scope or your eyes giving you the problem.

I usually recommend referring to this guide. I'd add the Simmons 22 Mag to the list of 2-star scopes and in my opinion Barska, BSA, NcStar, and the other $50 specials would rank at 1 star.
Old February 10, 2013, 09:47 AM   #20
wingman

Mueller apv one of the best for 22.
Old February 10, 2013, 01:56 PM   #21
mendozer

seems like that simmons prohunter is a good deal for that 2 plus ranking. I'm not putting a pricey one on my marlin 60! It actually shoots fine with the stock 4x20. But i just want to be able to zoom in a bit. Then when I upgrade to a big game rifle, like a .308, I can swap out the scope to that and keep the 4x20 on my 22.
Old February 10, 2013, 07:05 PM   #22
grizzly67

I topped my Marlin 795 with a Simmons 3-9x32 fixed objective and couldn't be happier. About $35 from CTD. I did get the Leapers mount from Optics Planet, as I've heard many have had "scope walk" issues due to uneven dovetails.

Zero'd in within 10 shots and holds quite well. Best money I spent.
Old February 10, 2013, 09:28 PM   #23
sholling

Quote:
seems like that simmons prohunter is a good deal for that 2 plus ranking. I'm not putting a pricey one on my marlin 60! It actually shoots fine with the stock 4x20. But i just want to be able to zoom in a bit. Then when I upgrade to a big game rifle, like a .308, I can swap out the scope to that and keep the 4x20 on my 22.
I have an older ProHunter on one of my 10/22s and it's ok but I'd save up and buy a 3 or 4 star scope for your future hunting rifle. I haven't played with any newer Simmons so I can't speak for them. The Mueller APV (~$130) isn't bad either and is popular with new rimfire target shooters but it won't survive the recoil of a 308 and has kinda thick crosshairs. The problem with it is it will look huge on a Model 60. Some people like the inexpensive Simmons 22 Mag 3-9x32 but I have no experience with them. I have used a Weaver RV7 2.5-7x28 rimfire ($140 @ Natchez) and it's a pretty decent rimfire hunting scope.

These are two of mine, the upper (still a work in progress) has an old discontinued 6-24x40 ProHunter for now and the lower is my newest benchrest 10/22 and it has a Weaver V24 6-24x42.

Last edited by sholling; February 10, 2013 at 09:42 PM.
Old February 10, 2013, 09:33 PM   #24
mendozer

so the mount just provides for another surface to attach the scope to?
Old February 10, 2013, 11:12 PM   #25
mendozer

i see all the valid points here about "get what you pay for". Seeing as this is my 22 or target practice and maybe varmint hunting if i ever go hunting, AND the fact that my Marlin 60 was like $170, I ain't spending big bucks on a nice scope (thinking 3-5 star). I think I'll go for a simmons 22 mag based on it's features, warranty, and chuckhawks review. I like the European quick focus ring (no more lockrings!)

Could I do better? sure. I have the confidence in my shooting that I don't need top of the line for this 22.

as for this GAMO, guess i'm returning it to ebay!