The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old December 8, 2012, 08:06 AM   #1
Amsdorf

World's Fastest Semi-Auto Shotgun??

OK, I'm throwing this out there... the Benelli M4 Shotgun has one of the fastest semi-auto actions out there, bar none. Here's a demonstration.

How about this...eight shots in just a smidge over 1 second.

Shotgun in the video has had no modifications to its trigger or action, in any way, just a full length mag tube installed.

Find something faster in a semi-auto?

Post it up here, but remember...eight shots in 1.2 seconds...has to be that fast or faster.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=czi49Uf-qBI

Last edited by Amsdorf; December 8, 2012 at 01:22 PM.
Old December 8, 2012, 09:04 AM   #2
fehhkk

The FN SLP is pretty damn fast too...

http://youtu.be/-koewXY6zaA
Old December 8, 2012, 09:07 AM   #3
Amsdorf

Nice....love FN products.
Old December 8, 2012, 09:47 AM   #4
WV_gunner

Just guessing, maybe a Saiga.
Old December 8, 2012, 10:18 AM   #5
jmortimer

We have been down this road again and again. It is a fact beyond dispute that the fastest cycling shotguns are the Winchester SX2 (FN SLP) and SX3. The official record is 12 shots in 1.442 seconds with a SX3.

Last edited by jmortimer; December 8, 2012 at 10:23 AM.
Old December 8, 2012, 11:10 AM   #6
tAKticool

I thought that Benelli in fact had the fastest but it's not the M4, its one of their other models, the Super Monte Serrrat Flaco hocus pocus mumbo jumbo or that Super Duper Leonardo Di Vinci model...

I know the M4 is redonk but I thought their other model has the record.
Old December 8, 2012, 11:22 AM   #7
rcase1234

Worlds fastest cycling is the Winchester SX3
Old December 8, 2012, 01:15 PM   #8
Amsdorf

I've seen a Winchester being fired that has had custom trigger and action work done to it, putting out 12 rounds, on average, every .120 seconds.

In my video, I'm putting them out, with an unmodified Benelli 4 (that is, no trigger or action work) at eight shots in 1.1 seconds which is one every .1375 seconds.

.25 1000ths of a second slower....but unmodified...

I'll call it a draw.

Last edited by Amsdorf; December 8, 2012 at 01:23 PM.
Old December 8, 2012, 01:22 PM   #9
RJay

And this much speed in a shotgun is usefull for what reason? Just curious.
Old December 8, 2012, 01:30 PM   #10
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Quote:
And this much speed in a shotgun is usefull for what reason? Just curious.
If you do your part to exercise proper gun control... It puts more rounds on target in less time... that is useful...

Will it ever be needed? Who knows??? But I rather have it the capability and never need it than to need it and not have the capability...

I do not own anything with that ability but can see it useful myself...

My next gun purchase will probably be the Mossberg 930 unless I decide I need a fun little 'yote rifle first... but I digress...

Brent
Old December 8, 2012, 02:37 PM   #11
jmortimer

"My next gun purchase will probably be the Mossberg 930..."

You and me both - best deal for $$$
Old December 8, 2012, 06:17 PM   #12
MarkCO

Quote:
We have been down this road again and again. It is a fact beyond dispute that the fastest cycling shotguns are the Winchester SX2 (FN SLP) and SX3. The official record is 12 shots in 1.442 seconds with a SX3.
True. There are 3 or 4 of the top 3Gunners that can get a dead trigger, pretty much on demand, with a Benelli but they can not outrun the SLPs. The dead trigger is due to dropping the hammer before the gun is in battery. The M4 is a little faster than an M2, but the Versa-Max, which is faster than the M4, is still not as fast as the SLP/SX3/SX2.
Old December 8, 2012, 06:54 PM   #13
comn-cents

How about the Benelli m121, I hear those are the fastest.
Old December 8, 2012, 07:43 PM   #14
jmr40

The Benelli M-2 or older M-1 is my prefered shotgun, but I could care less which is fastest. While interesting to be able to make the claim of being fastest, there are many other things more important in making my choices.
Old December 8, 2012, 07:55 PM   #15
jmortimer

"The dead trigger is due to dropping the hammer before the gun is in battery."
From "Speed Shotgun" by Patrick Kelley published in Front Sight magazine, official journal of the United States Practical Shooting Association. Somewhat dated from 2001, but nothing has really changed.

"Using the same videographic techniques that we applied to the 1100, we found the limit for the Benelli: 13 hundredths of a second. That's it. Any faster, and the hammer follows the bolt."

"The initial reaction of many shooters to this information is, "Who cares? Who really goes that fast?" or "Where would I use that speed?" Practical shooters (and some tactical shooters) are different. This is why I penned my "on the range" experiences. If you KNEW that your pistol stopped working at .13 seconds and your ability exceeded that, you would be at the gunsmith getting it fixed. Why should you expect less from your shotgun? If you worked on a SWAT team, and the Benelli was your main shotgun, wouldn't knowing that you were carrying a gun guaranteed to fail at under .13 second splits give you pause?"

"Okay, drum roll please. Will the real world's fastest cycling shotgun please stand up? What? We have two guns standing? How can this be? We can thank the people at Winchester and Browning for this situation. They have unwittingly given us a choice between two "world's fastest cycling shotguns." The Browning Gold and the Winchester Super X2 are both built on the same basic platform, and these guns haul!"

" I got a chance to spend a little time (very little) with the Winchester Super X2 and found what may pull me away from my beloved Auto 5. After a few speed drills on three pepper poppers, I was already well pleased with this self-loader's performance. Using 00 Buck loads (does this thing smooth out recoil or what?) I ran a three-popper course with each popper a yard apart and 12 yards down range. From the port arms position I was able to "draw" and knock down all three in just under one second. Considering a reaction and first engagement time of .68, split times between the next two poppers were 12 and 13 hundredths respectively. This is as fast as my Auto 5! At this speed, the Benelli's hammer follows the bolt!
Idaho state police officer David Neth was kind enough to let me perform this test with his personal Winchester SX2 Practical. He also demonstrated this shotgun's true capability by pulling off some 11 hundredths splits along with a handful of 12's. To top that, he beat my personal record for the fastest five shots. This is a little thing I have been doing since the speed bug hit me. With the timer running you let loose of five rounds as fast as you can, counting the first shot as zero and totaling the remaining four split intervals. My best to date has been 56 hundredths. David amazed the small gathering at a 3 gun match in Winchester, Idaho by firing those five shots in 51 hundredths! The splits were three .13's and one .12. This gun is full auto fast! By the way, this was with Federal 00 buck. No, not the low recoil stuff, this was Federal MAX 2 3/4 Classic."
Old December 8, 2012, 08:30 PM   #16
MarkCO

jmortimer, thanks much.

While Patrick Kelley and Dave Neth are both customers and friends of mine, I had never seen that before.
Old December 8, 2012, 09:04 PM   #17
jmortimer

Here is a link to the entire article and it is worth reading. I wish I knew these guys as well.

http://www.winchesterguns.com/librar...tail.asp?id=72
Old December 8, 2012, 10:05 PM   #18
mongoslow

yall a going to hurt your trigger fingers try to shoot that fast ,just buy one of these and pull the trigger one time
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tv6_J...yer_detailpage
this is sarcasm and my wierd since of humor since im new here and unknown but i have had a dawoo usas 12 in my hands before ( semi-auto)and am still trying to talk the owner out of it
Old December 8, 2012, 11:48 PM   #19
CurlyQ.Howard

I'm confused. Do you actually hit a target or targets? And are they moving while you're shooting them? Thanks.
Old December 8, 2012, 11:54 PM   #20
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Here is the answer to your question...
Quote:
After a few speed drills on three pepper poppers, I was already well pleased with this self-loader's performance. Using 00 Buck loads (does this thing smooth out recoil or what?) I ran a three-popper course with each popper a yard apart and 12 yards down range. From the port arms position I was able to "draw" and knock down all three in just under one second.
Brent
Old December 9, 2012, 12:04 AM   #21
RJay

Wow, such speed would give the user a definite advantage if one is ever attacked by " poppers"
Old December 9, 2012, 08:38 AM   #22
Amsdorf

Curly Q:

" I'm confused. Do you actually hit a target or targets? And are they moving while you're shooting them? Thanks. "

First, you are not confused.

Second, of course I hit target and/or targets.

Third, are they moving? Not for long.
Old December 9, 2012, 09:23 AM   #23
jaguarxk120

You saying eight birds flush and in less than a second you have eight dead birds falling to the ground??
Old December 9, 2012, 09:36 AM   #24
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

I would wager that a guy who can get off 8 shots in 1.5 seconds... accurately... would easily limit out way before the guy like me who takes that long just to get my gun on target...

Brent
Old December 9, 2012, 10:09 AM   #25
Jim Watson

I recall the article.

Did you notice the little tidbit: "This is as fast as my Auto 5!"

The latest and greatest is merely as fast as the very first auto shotgun.
John Browning is still hanging in there.