The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old October 27, 2011, 08:40 AM   #26
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Somebody tell me again about puppy-dog sized deer in Florida?

http://www.woodsnwater.net/buck_of_the_year/2011

Defining hunting? Sitting in any sort of stand is merely imitating a cougar, waiting in ambush. Probably an older form of hunting than anything done by Johnny-come-lately homo sapiens. Rather arrogant to believe that stomping around in the boonies and scaring half the critters within a mile is some sort of superiority of method.

Some places, a house is a great deer blind. Back at the old family ranch, I used to give a wee bit of thought to cheating, since deer would come in at night and drink the condensate water from the window A/C of my bedroom. Grossly unfair, however. And with this drouth all over Texas, I reckon that suburban flower beds are feeding areas. Since August 21, 2010, I've had three "rains" totalling one-fourth of an inch. If it ever rains again, the poor fish in Terlingua Creek would likely drown. I know they've forgotten how to swim...
Old October 27, 2011, 09:17 AM   #27
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Thanks for the tips...

I reckon a requisite... "PSSST cover yer ears..." is in order such as I am required to warn before flickin' on the light in the middle of the night...

While it would be funny as heck to watch her "un-ass" the bed using levitation... I don't think the rest of that day would go well for me!

Brent
Old October 27, 2011, 10:11 AM   #28
ZeroJunk

Well, I'm thinking since she would be wide awake you could say " Hey baby, seing as how you are awake and all how about come help me work up this deer". See how that goes.
Old October 27, 2011, 10:20 AM   #29
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Quote:
See how that goes.
We are 20+ years removed from "Newlywed" status so I am already well aware "HOW THAT GOES"...

Nice try though!!!

Brent
Old October 28, 2011, 04:38 AM   #30
Mike / Tx

Quote:
We are 20+ years removed from "Newlywed" status so I am already well aware "HOW THAT GOES"...

Nice try though!!!
BWAHAAHAA, thats pretty funny right there. Congrats however on the 20+yrs. I have been with my sweetie 25 this coming July, and I have to say, that as long as I let her know I was going to shoot, there would be help with the quartering, trimming and wrapping.
Old October 28, 2011, 04:24 PM   #31
golfballshootr

Take the shot.....and then, because of the time of the year, tell her after she unclings from the ceiling.......zombies!!
Old October 28, 2011, 05:11 PM   #32
2damnold4this

I think you would be right to take the shot. I don't see the difference between hunting in a tree that's dropping acorns, over standing corn or a legal feeder.
Old October 28, 2011, 05:20 PM   #33
jimbob86

Nope..... I have 2 daughters with 2 tags each to fill, and they only get 2 days to hunt during November Firearm Season (durned basketball camps!) and I have all 9 days ...... so on opening day and Sunday, I ain't shooting unless they wound one and it is getting away......
Old October 31, 2011, 09:55 PM   #34
presence

shooting out of your bedroom window is one small step above shooting out of your truck window while drivin' country roads. shootin fish in a barrel next?
Old November 1, 2011, 01:54 PM   #35
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Aw, I've parked in my back pasture and shot from the driver's window of my '62 Chevy sedan. Is that okay? I was bored with the drop-in visitors at the house, said, "I think I'll go kill a doe," and drove off. An hour later I was back with a job of work to do. Cut, wrapped and in the freezer an hour or so later.

Sometimes I'd just go down to the loading pen a bit before sundown, taking a book to read. Somewhere along about the time it was getting a bit dark to read, I'd look out and see does in the oat patch. Bang, whop, plop.

I don't figure I was hunting in the usual sense of the word, so much as just putting meat in the freezer.

But, meat's meat. And, hey, I had some peace and quiet. "Don't bother him, he's hunting!"
Old November 1, 2011, 02:32 PM   #36
sc928porsche

I would pass on that one.