The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old October 3, 2007, 01:54 PM   #1
nra_guns_winner

DATA NEEDED .45lc w/bp ??

I have always wanted to shoot black powder. Well now I've got a colt SAA
Can someone tell me the name of a reloading book that deals with .45 and bp.
Or if someone knows where some free info is on the web send me a link please. Also interested in reloading .38 and 44-40 with bp.
Jarrod, Tulsa OK
Old October 3, 2007, 02:12 PM   #2
Scorch

Original loading for the 45 Colt was 250 gr (IIRC) lead bullet over 40 gr of black powder, same BP charge as 44-40 and 38-40. Old Lyman manuals used to bave BP and Pyrodex loads for those rounds, but now they publish a separate loading manual dedicated to BP, and I don't have one to verify the charges, but they are available where you would get a Lyman reloading manual. If you are going to load BP, buy one and read up on loading BP. It's not exactly the same as loading smokeless.

Instead of loading BP and dealing with the stink, fouling, and corrosion, I would probably load the new American Pioneer Gold powder. It is supposed to have the same density as BP, same burning characteristics, same pressures, etc, etc. And it supposedly does not have the corrosion issues to deal with.
Old October 3, 2007, 06:51 PM   #3
Hawg

The stink and smoke are what's fun about bp. Corrosion with bp and subs is overstated. I use Pyrodex which is the worst of all and I sometimes go three or four days without cleaning. Actually if you only use bp it's easier to clean than smokeless is. Just don't try shooting one then the other without cleaning in between or you'll really find out how tuff a cleaning job can be.
The thing to remember about loading bp is NEVER leave an air gap. All bp loads must be compressed. I'm not sure about 45 Colt because I've never loaded for it but I do load 44-40. You can't get but 35 grs. in a modern case. The old cases were balloon heads which held more. Now if you want to cut the load down you have to use a filler, like oatmeal to take up space. Original 44-40 use a 200 gr. bullet but 250's work well. Also do not use petroleum based lubes with bp. Only use vegetable based oils like Balistol or olive oil.
Old October 4, 2007, 01:38 PM   #4
nra_guns_winner

I have about 150 lbs of lead I'd like to use up this winter. I was planning on making up some .30 cal, (I'd have to buy the mould and sizing die) but today I finally decided I'll use it up in my .357 and my .44 Thats because I already have all that stuff. If I come across a used lynan in for my .45lc I'll buy it up, and maybe have a chance to shoot some smoking powder. Thanks.