The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old August 20, 2002, 04:11 AM   #1
BBall550

.44 Mag Barrel Length?

Im looking to pick up a .44 mag for back up while hunting. Back up against Bear, Cougar, and the Bipedal. I would like to make the pistol as pack friendly as possible. My question is will I lose a lot of power by going with a 4" as compared to a 6" ? What about a 2" ?

I'm leaning towards a 629 mountian 4" but want to make sure I dont short myself on power.

BBall
Old August 20, 2002, 06:38 AM   #2
Al Thompson
Staff Alumnus

Not at all, the additional velocity generated by the extra two inches is not enough to make a real world difference. (IMHO) I've witnessed 4 inch guns shoot higher velocities than 6 inch guns. It has a lot to do when the barrel was made - was it the first barrel made by a new cutting bit? If so it will be faster than a barrel made on the last pass of a cutter that is replaced due to wear.

What you lose with the 4 inch barrel is two incches of sight radius. What you gain is easier packing.

I have a Mountain Gun and at typical ranges it works fine. If I wanted to extend my self imposed 50 yard limit to 100 yards, I'd mount a pistol scope. Easy to do on the newer S&Ws.
Old August 20, 2002, 07:29 AM   #3
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

You say your primary interest is for use as a backup weapon. IMO, five to six inches is almost the outside limit for being "handy". I gotta admit I tend to carry an older Redhawk, with its seven-inch barrel.

From a practicality standpoint, a backup handgun is a good thing, but awkward if time is of the essence. You gotta work out scenarios for need and acquisition. If you're actually hunting, with a rifle on your shoulder or in your hands, a quick draw is awkward at best--and why not use the rifle? All that sort of thing comes into your thinking...

Art
Old August 20, 2002, 01:29 PM   #4
Ledbetter

Pack-friendly??

Wouldn't it be better to choose one that is "holster-friendly," or, more specifically, "unholster-friendly?" As in "before I work the bolt on this .30'06 rifle again, here's 6 rounds of .44 Magnum."

Art is as a guru to me, but it wouldn't hurt to keep a .44 Mag handy in bear country, IMHO. BTW, I love my 629-2 Mountain "Revolver."
Old August 20, 2002, 02:14 PM   #5
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Ledbetter, were I in bear country, I think a .44 Maggie is just a starting point!

Mostly, I just try to point out that it's "probabilities", and it's pretty much different for varying country, critters, people, and situations around camp...

For instance, if I'm out shotgunning for blue quail during mule deer season, I carry the Redhawk in case I'm attacked by a rabid 12-point buck.

There's a very, very slight chance of some interaction with our small black bears, or maybe a cougar. Most times, it's a staring contest. Some critter sits there and stares at me, shame on his happy butt.

Around my hunt camp, I'm mildly concerned about two-legged critters, but that hasn't been a problem for over 40 years, now. Dangfino. There's always a first time, so I'm usually prepared...

, Art
Old August 20, 2002, 08:58 PM   #6
Preacherman

Hi there, BBall. I totally go with the concept of a .44 Magnum revolver to defend against things with teeth that don't like my aftershave... my own carry piece is a Ruger Redhawk with the 5½-inch barrel, full loaded with Garrett Hammerhead rounds. These have knocked over a charging grizzly - a superb performance from even a rifle round, never mind a handgun! When not backing up against such things, it's a fine hunting and plinking revolver (with milder rounds, mark you...).

I agree that a shorter barrel (i.e. 4") is just about as good as a 6" ballistically - with the 2", you lose too much velocity, and the muzzle blast is fearsome! However, there is a very important point to consider here. Do you plan to use the weapon for hiking and/or hunting in Canada at any time? If so, be aware that you can't import any handgun into Canada with a barrel less than approximately 5" in length. This would prevent you taking the shorter-barrelled Mountain Gun with you.

Finally, a word on "toughness". I've seen several S&W Model 29's and Model 629's blasted into reverse rotation of the cylinder after about 80-100 rounds of heavy loads such as the Hammerhead. This is NOT GOOD! IMHO, the Ruger Redhawk is the strongest "standard-configuration" revolver on the market, and is specifically listed by Garrett Cartridges - with its sibling, the Super Redhawk - as the only one able to use their heaviest loads. I traded in my old Model 29-2 on a Redhawk, for strength and for Canadian considerations, and have not been disappointed. Yes, it's a bit bigger and bulkier, but when the proverbial brown substance hits the rotating air mover, I want all the strength and power I can get!

Good luck in your search, and enjoy whatever you eventually buy.
Old August 20, 2002, 09:57 PM   #7
BBall550

Thanks for all the great info.
By "pack" I truely meant "holster" likely a pancake style in the small of the back.
Thanks for the Canada info. I currently have no plans but you never know. I think I will go with the 629 Mountain 4" based on size and weight. (I agree the redhawk is a strong brute). I have a Super Blackhawk .44 7", love the gun but it pulls my pants down!

I'd like to comment on the "whats wrong with a rifle?" In camp Im not used to carring the rifle to and from the tent and comode, or have it slung over my shoulder while cooking. Also If I were to get jumped (Cougar and the Bipedal are known for this) it might be easier to weild a 4" barrel while in the grasp of a critter that might be able to thwart the positioning of a long gun. Ive done some hunting in Idaho where we run into "neighbors". I was told not to trust em but not to make em nervouse either. (i.e. long gun in hand). Just knowing the Elmer watches over me wherever I may roam will make for a more confident/enjoyable adventure.

Thanks again

BBall
Old August 20, 2002, 10:39 PM   #8
Ledbetter

Preacherman is right (what a surprise, Hallelujah!)

Title is good-natured fun. Here's a smiley to prove it:

Wouldn't feed the 629-2 anything stronger than most standard factory-loaded magnum cartridges. Never had a problem with them and the gun is tight and very accurate.

Dash numbers -3 and up are supposed to hold up better to hotter loads due to enhancements.

If was out hunting or hiking, my preference might be for a cross-draw holster pointing down about 30 degrees from horizontal, worn slightly forward.

Regards.
Old August 20, 2002, 11:09 PM   #9
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Ledbetter! Such perspicacity as to a holster location! Incredible!

Me, too.

, Art
Old August 21, 2002, 12:43 AM   #10
SteelyDan

The 4" Mountain Gun sounds like an excellent choice to me.

One question, though. I thought NO handguns were allowed in Canada, regardless of barrel length. I could be wrong, and it wouldn't be the first time, but I think that's the case.
Old August 21, 2002, 02:47 AM   #11
lilbiggun

I have a 629(-3) and it sucks. I wont use it for anything but plinking. In my wifes super blackhawk, I shoot 330gr hard cast rounds. they dont even load in my smith. I bought the smith because it does have a 3" bbl and thought it would be great in the tent for the just in case scenarios.
One of these days I'm gonna send it back to smith but then again, I dont think the smith is strong enough to handle my bear loads.
Now I just carry my rifle. one has a 21" and the other is 18", both with open sights (458Lott and 45/70 respectively).
Old August 21, 2002, 07:48 AM   #12
Tom Matiska

Speer #9 has some chrono info in the back that fits your question. Rem 240 JHP out of a 4" S&W pushing 1182fps, 90ish more for a 6 1/2" barrel, another 90ish out of a 8 3/8" barrel.

Not a strong reason to carry too many extra inches around.

Tom

A gun is like a parachute..... when you need one you usually need one pretty bad.
Old August 21, 2002, 10:04 PM   #13
Preacherman

Hi, Steelydan. In response to your Canada question, I'm informed that if you get a permit IN ADVANCE of your trip, you can take a handgun into Canada for lawful purposes (e.g. shooting competitions, hunting, etc.). However, unlike long guns, you can't just arrive at the border and declare them, producing your hunting licence as proof of what you intend to do with them. Handguns must be cleared in advance, and if you arrive without the permit, I understand they are subject to confiscation. I think the permitted barrel length is "not less than 120mm.", which translates into Imperial measurements as fractionally less than 5". Also, I understand that the firearm has to be suited for its intended - and stated - purpose: a .38 Special snubbie would not be readily accepted for defence against bears, methinks! (However, after this week's news from Alaska, who knows? - they might accept a 9mm. pistol as bear medicine! I must try this with my Glock and an extended barrel...)
Old August 26, 2002, 12:59 AM   #14
BusGunner007

The Preacherman has the same .44 as I do.
Ruger Redhawk 5.5" bbl.

Mine is the blue version with a Hogue rubber grip.

Now, I gotta get some of that ammo and see if I can hit anything with it!
Old August 28, 2002, 02:29 PM   #15
BBall550

Another question,

I see that S&W has the 629 backpacker 3". Looks even better to holster out of the way. Would I still be able to generate enough power to stop most bears? I know it depends on the load I use but I want to make sure I dont undercut my objective. Id like to use Remingtons 240gr JSP (realitivly inexpensive and readily available in my area)

What do you think? Out of the question? Absolute minimum?
Do I need to go ahead and step up to the 4" or should specailty ammo get me by with the 3"?

BBall

I threw in a pic just because I really like the looks of it
Attached Images
File Type: jpg backpacker.jpg (41.1 KB, 56 views)
Old August 28, 2002, 05:30 PM   #16
BigG

The magnums were created with the long tubes in mind. Cutting them off just reduces the "magical" performance.

The reason I got a scandium 2" 357 magnum is

1) I don't always practice what I preach

2) It's so light it even beats an airweight 38 special

For hunting, I would recommend the 8 3/8" 44 or no less than the 6 1/2" YMMV
o "The Earth is degenerating today. Bribery and corruption abound. Children no longer obey their parents, every man wants to write a book, and it is evident that the end of the world is fast approaching." Assyrian tablet, c. 2800 BC

o "In the beginning of a change, the patriot is a scarce man brave, hated, and scorned. When his cause succeeds, however, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain

o "They have gun control in Cuba. They have universal health care in Cuba. So why do they want to come here?" Paul Harvey

o TODAY WE CARVE OUT OUR OWN OMENS! Leonidas, Thermopylae, 480 BC
Old August 28, 2002, 06:59 PM   #17
labgrade
Member In Memoriam

Garrett Hammerheads in .44 magnun - bottom of the page. Check the testimonials - fairly impressive stuff. I d like to get the alloy info for my own use ....

We don't have Grizz in CO (mostly). I've seen two bears & three gulley-cats over 25 yrs backpcking/hunting/fishing. Usually don't bother with a handgun (when hunting) When I do = Smith 317 .22LR

Usually though a 19 when pokin' about without a longgun though.

Different strokes.
Old August 28, 2002, 07:47 PM   #18
BBall550

Holy Crap!

I poured over that website and found what I was looking for!

Garrett 310gr out of a 2.5" 629 stopped an Alaskan Grizzly...Im sold on the ammo. and a 3" barrel

Now to break the bank, buy the pistol and "Invest" in Garrett ammo (they aint cheap!). $65 / 50 CTGS

I would usually pratice with the carry load but I think two factors will interupt that practise. 1) the stuff is pretty spendy, 2) If needed in a clutch situation I doubt I will be aiming as much as point shooting. 25 rounds to see how/where it shoots and 25 rounds for real. I can find out how to point it with less expensive ammo.

Thanks for the site info.

BBall
Old August 28, 2002, 08:15 PM   #19
labgrade
Member In Memoriam

Betcha, BB. Was just looking in there a day or two myself for some .45LC loads. Alas, not yet.

Reading some of the performance/testimonials & I was going