The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old August 26, 2002, 10:03 AM   #1
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Animal Behavior

Not about huntin', but thought I'd share this.

For the past half-hour, I've been breaking up at the antics of a big raven in my front yard.

I had thrown out some (shelled) rancid pecans and walnuts. He had spotted them as Goody Num-nums. He "sneaks" up on them, looks all around for Bad Critters, and then grabs a nut. At the moment of the grab, he hops up into the air about a foot or two, and backward. It's as though he was pecking at a rattlesnake or some such.

And then repeat. Like I say, this has been going on for almost half an hour.

, Art
Old August 26, 2002, 10:29 AM   #2
redneck

Probably means he's seen you with coyotes before.
Old August 26, 2002, 10:31 AM   #3
H&H,hunter

Watching ravens play on the wind currents convinces me that they are one of the few birds that love to fly purely for the joy of flying. I believe that they are one of gods most inteligent avions.
I do enjoy observing them in nature.
Old August 26, 2002, 11:16 AM   #4
Chuck Dye

Ravens are amazing. While in Hood River OR, on the Columbia River, waiting for a customer to arrive from home unload a Sunday delivery, I watched a raven drop a walnut on the street. The nut was complete with husk and the bird was not having any luck. I climbed down out of the truck and headed for the nut. The raven abandoned the walnut and flew to the roof of the nearest building. I steped on the nut, breaking it, and walked back to the truck. The raven flew down, ate the nutmeat, and flew away. Moments later the raven was back with another walnut. The raven placed the nut on the pavement, made eye contact with me, and flew to the rooftop. I broke the nut, the raven ate, disappeared, returned with another nut. This nut I took to the sidewalk nearest the bird (farther from my truck) before I broke it. The next nut went directly to the sidewalk. The raven and I continued for the next 40 minutes. Did this bird figure out how to use my services in the first encounter, or had it had previous experience? Should I marvel at the speed of the raven's learning, or the raven's skill at training humans? I do not know, but the game was more entertaining than the paperwork I should have been doing.

I do not know why such birds engage in the hypercautious approach, snatch, and hop behavior, but it is so common that I'd bet there is good, Darwinian, cause for it.
Old August 26, 2002, 03:12 PM   #5
hps1

Different bird somewhat similar story

While elk hunting near Taylor Lake, Co. last year met a fellow from the east coast (can't recall state).

He said they were having problems with the sea gulls picking up clams and dropping them on their office parking lot which did not amuse the automobile owners. They hired a sign painter to paint pictures of sea gulls sitting on the blacktop which solved the problem.

Regards,
hps
Old August 26, 2002, 04:19 PM   #6
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

The count rose to two ravens and three buzzards. Makes a fella nervous. Think "Hitchcock".

I've heard that ravens mate for life. Dunno. Hard to tell one raven-spouse from another. There has been a pair of ravens hanging out around here ever since I built the house in 1993.

I've gotten halfway good at raven-squawk, but I dunno what I'm sayin'.

, Art
Old August 26, 2002, 09:55 PM   #7
Chuck Dye

Art,

Ravens will learn to mimic words. I had one where I used to work quoting "nevermore" as I made my rounds. After a while, he stopped. One of the office types explained that the raven had learned to identify and ignore people who don't reward his efforts, but if I would provide snacks (cheese is best) and greet the bird "Hello, Poe" or Hello, Edgar" I would be rewarded. Worked on the first trial. Another case of "Who's training whom?"