Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old July 22, 2002, 06:41 PM   #1
chiz45

coyotes!

what's a suitable round for coyotes? choices are:

12 ga
.45acp
9mm

what works? what doesn't? thanks in advance!
Old July 22, 2002, 09:14 PM   #2
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Even a coyote deserves an ethical, clean kill. With that in mind, I'd say the .223 will work to around 200 yards. The .308 out to wherever you can reasonably expect to call your shot.

The pistols and shotgun are close range weapons. So, the question is, how close can you persuade Ol' Wiley to get to you?

For the pistols, how far out can you hit the end of a beer can, every time?

A full-choke shotgun with 00 buck, I'd guess 40 yards or so. Just guessing. Efficacy with a slug depends on sights and your skill.

Close enough for government work?

, Art
Old July 22, 2002, 09:21 PM   #3
jhisaac

I shot mine with a .270 so I know that works. This is my opinion and not the voice of much actual experience. I think that any of those will work within the limits of the round.

The .308 and .223 will reach out quite a ways and work just fine with the .308 being most forgiving of shot placement. With both of them, a decent hollowpoint or softpoint will be a good idea. FMJ would just poke holes, probably fatal holes, but you want a good clean kill.

The 12 Guage will do just fine with out to 25 yards or so with buckshot. Slugs will get you out to 100 yards just fine.

.45/9mm. Now you are looking at something where shot placement is critical. I don't know what you are shooting from, so you will have to determine how far you can shoot those and make a good hit in the vitals.

That's what I think.
Wish I was going out with you.

Jason
jhisaac
Old July 22, 2002, 09:41 PM   #4
Zorro

All of the Above in the right circumstances.

Nothing wrong with Pistols up close say 25 Yards for non Mags and 50 for the .357. 100 for .44 Mag Plus.

I just use my Deer Rifle 99% of the time.

Shotguns are good for night shooting.
Old July 22, 2002, 11:09 PM   #5
chiz45

delivery devices: remy 788 .308; ARs; M1As.

pistols suggested only as it crossed my mind.

thanks for the input!
Old July 23, 2002, 04:43 PM   #6
Larry Ashcraft

Don't use FMJ!

This happened to me:

Coyote was by my barn, about 70 yards away. Grabbed my Mini-14 and shot him out of the upstairs bathroom window (no screen, on purpose) with a FMJ military round. He went down like a ton of bricks... and then got up and RAN AWAY! I couldn't get a second shot off because my lower jaw was on the floor. I think I hit him in the neck. He probably died anyway but I didn't feel good about it.
Old July 23, 2002, 08:02 PM   #7
H&H,hunter

I personally shoot them with anything I have handy,
Which includes though is not limited to,
.223 I've killed dozens of them with fmj's and have personally never had a problem, .243 .308 .30-06 .30-30 .300 wthby .375H&H (that puts em down) .44 mag (Rifle & pistol) and most recently a .458 Lott (Always use enough gun)

If I am hunting Song dogs on purpose I perfer the .308 or the .243 just enough athourity to put them down hard at any range I can hit them at with out all the recoil muzzel blast and fuss

I've also had the oportunity to kill several coyotes with .22 rimfires several with a .22 LR at close range. I wouldn't recomend this as you need to wear them out out to put them down. I've also killed one with a .22mag much better than a LR but still pretty darn light.

Last edited by H&H,hunter; July 23, 2002 at 08:44 PM.
Old July 23, 2002, 09:05 PM   #8
12-34hom

Guns for coyotes.

Shot placement is key, coyotes are tough critters.

Premium bullets are vital also, ie.. Nosler B. Tips - Hornaday V-max.

Caliber?? personal choice, I'm partial to .243 caliber. currently - 6mm Ackley Improved in my varmint rifle.

But, i bought a Savage Stricker pistol, in 22-250. I just got a different pistol scope for it, [Burris 2+7- plex reticle] Had my gunsmith "work" the trigger. Buying reloading componets little at a time. Got the scope mounted and bore sighted last night. Going to the range this weekend to break in the barrel.

This weapon will be good out to 300 yards. I'm looking for a stable platform ie... Bi-pod - shooting sticks to take into the field this winter.

223, 22-250, 243, 25-06 all are good calibers. Find the one that suits you're style.

12-34hom.
This is my rifle. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My rifle is my best friend, it is my life. I must master itas i master my life.Without me my rifle is useless, without my rifle i am useless. I must fire my rifle true. I must shoot straighter than my enemy who is trying to kill me. I must shoot him before he shoots me. I Will. Before God i swear this creed. My rifle and myself are defenders of my country. We are masters of our enemy. We are saviours of my life. So be it until there is no enemy, but peace. Amen.
Old July 23, 2002, 09:25 PM   #9
KilgorII

Quote:
Premium bullets are vital
I disagree. A plainjane expanding softpoint in a rifle cartridge, .22 hornet and up, will work when the shot is well placed.

Also pistols 9mm and up will work fine when loaded with an expanding bullet heavy enough to ensure good penetration and the shot is well placed.

All caliber/weapon/shooter combinations will have their own range limits.

This is all just my opinion of course.

Old July 23, 2002, 10:21 PM   #10
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

If you work up any skill at calling, most shots are within 50 yards. A .243 is almost extreme cruelty. The 85-grain Sierra HPBT makes a fist-sized exit wound. DRT.

Art
Old July 24, 2002, 11:03 AM   #11
H&H,hunter

Art,
That's why I use 100 gr bullets in the .243 and That's why I perfer the heavier slower .308. As far as bullets go I like 180 gr Nosler ballistic tip at about 2500 FPS.

In the .243 I use winchester soft point 100 gr bullets cuts down on the explosive factor.

At close range The slow .308 load does less pelt damage than most rounds I've used. Some of the most destructive kills I've had have been using 55 gr FMJ's in a .223 at close range I even had one blow out most of the back side of a coyote at 200 +/- yards.

The vast majority of my Coyote kills off a call are at under 100 yds. And the heavier and the slower the bullet the Less pelt damage your going to get at these ranges. Heck a .375 or a 458 doesn't even think about expanding on a little ole yote at any range and does a lot less damage than most people think and that goes for the .308 as well. And if your not worried about pelt damage sometimes I like to shoot Mr. Willey with a 85gr Siera HPBT at about 3300 FPs just to watch the fur fly. There is no quicker kill.
Old July 24, 2002, 10:21 PM   #12
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

For sure, if the pelt is important, don't load for expansion!

, Art
Old July 29, 2002, 10:25 PM   #13
sniper1az

Just to kill a coyote any of the above mentioned will do quite well . I like the 223 but will not use military FMJ rounds just to kill them . I'll use a plastic tip from Nosler or Hornady . And I have killed deer with my 20" AR-15 at 200 yards using 60/64/70 gr hunting bullets from Winchester , Nosler Partitions & Speer .
Old July 30, 2002, 12:47 AM   #14
labgrade
Member In Memoriam

I don't about that "don't load for expansion" thing, Art. & 50 gr .22-250 or a 60-75 gr .243 HP won't (usually) exit - pretty much complete bullet detonation within a coupla inches & well within the 'yotes body cavity.

Coupla ways to look at pelt hunting - either complete bullet destruction almost immediately (but within the body) or a "solid type" that won't expand & will do the "pencil hole" through both sides.

Coyotes are pretty small critters all-in-all & their vitals are measured in a 2-3 playing card--sized area (hearts & lungs). Their hearts can't be even as big as one card.

Whatever you can hit consistantly that size & that'll penetrate 12" or so will do 'em right there. Even a FMJ will do 'em plenty fast if a heart shot, but still expect a maybe 100 yard run till they expire. Most critters have an extreme will to live & will run a ways .... (those "detonating" .22s & .243s seem to preculde this however ... )

If trying a 12 ga, do yourself & the critter a favor & pattern the shotgun to see what kind of groups you get with various shot size, chokes & yards. Many are pretty surprised that their 9-pellet 00 buck load doesn't kill (maybe even hit) everything (anything) at 50 yards. I'd suggest a #4 buck as a minimum.
Old July 30, 2002, 09:07 AM   #15
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

No argument, labgrade; I was sorta limiting my comment to the .243, though. I'm not particularly serious about hunting them, so pelts aren't an issue for me.

Some of the guys at varminter.com have lauded the centerfire .17 as doing all its damage inside the coyote. No particular damage to the pelt.

Coyotes are tough little boogers, sometimes. On the way up to my deer camp, I shot one at around 60 yards with a 165-grain HE '06. Hit the chest just behind the forelegs and a bit low. It took out a fist-sized bit of bone and heart. It got up and ran another 50 yards...

One pelt-hunter I know calls them in and uses a .22 rimfire magnum. He has a red light mounted on the barrel, with a pressure switch on the forearm. Usually takes headshots, at 10 to 20 yards.

, Art