The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old July 22, 2002, 10:57 AM   #1
Berthold

Moose hunting with the 7mm-08?????

I drew a Minnesota Moose license this year '02. A bull in MN is 800-900 pounds.

Q. Would a 160 gr bullet be sufficent?

Any handload data would be appreciated
Old July 22, 2002, 11:25 AM   #2
Al Thompson
Staff Alumnus

I would imagine so. The 160 has a SD off .286 and the 175 is .310. Looks like great penetration capabilitys.

I would not trust anybody's data over the internet for reloads. Too easy to transpose a number or just make a tiny error.

I wouldn't use a boat tail bullet, they do tend to come apart. I noticed that in my Speer #12 manual the 7mm-08 gets some pretty good velocity with both bullets. More than I thought they would.. LOL.
Old July 22, 2002, 12:48 PM   #3
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Is a guess of 100 yards to 200 yards reasonable for probable maximum range? If so, I'd guess that a heavy bullet in the 7mm08 would work, and I'd go along with the Giz about using a flat-based bullet. No advantage to a boat-tail unless you're talking out around 500 yards.

Art
Old July 22, 2002, 01:44 PM   #4
H&H,hunter

Pick you shot very carefully,
Mooose more so than any other deer species seem to show no initial reaction to being shot. So A. Don't be surprised if your moose doesn't even flinch after taking a bullet and B. Keep shooting.
Another nasty little habbit Moose have is to run out into the depest largest body of water they can find and then die right in the concentric middle of it. So refering to point B. go ahead and be free with the bullets.
I also would definatley try for a broad side shot as Moose have a tough hide and lots of thick mucsle. I wouldn't count on any 7MM for off angle penetration. Yes it's been done but no you shouldn't count on it.
Good luck.
Old July 22, 2002, 02:11 PM   #5
Berthold

Expected range is less than 100 yards, but could be up to 200 (unlikely). Foliage will still be dense, season starts 9/27-10/13. I'm lucky to be working with a guy who shot his moose in this area 9 years ago, and he is helping out. I've had good results on large whitetails with 145 grain Partitions and Speer SP's, but figured an extra 15 grains in a Partition or Grand Slam might be useful.

Any load data I might get would be worked with cautiously and compared to book data.
Old July 22, 2002, 05:13 PM   #6
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

I've only loaded 140-grain bullets in my 7mm08. I started about two grains under book max. No troubles. Went on up to one grain under; shot same as factory for impact and point of aim. No pressure signs. I'm guessing book max is most likely plenty okay.

Don't remember if I used Hornady or Hodgdon book. Don't think it matters.

, Art
Old July 23, 2002, 05:36 PM   #7
fiend

LOL!

When I first glanced over the topic I read it ias "MOUSE hunting". I was thinking "My god, hunting MICE with that round..a little over kill!"
Old July 24, 2002, 01:58 PM   #8
labgrade
Member In Memoriam

If reloading, may I suggest a Barnes bullet?

We're using short-barreled Rem's M7 (.308 & 7-08s) & get a "reduced velocity" as a result. Using Barnes 165s (at 2400 fps) in my .308, I get really unbeleivable penetration & killing power. 3-for-3 CO elk so far & all just hammered.

The Wife's elk gun is an M7 7-08 using 140 Barnes XBTs - yet to give it a try, but with the similar "down-loaded" results with my .308, I'm confident that her's will work "as advertised."

I've been very impressed with their increased sectional density/penetration, with great expansion characteritics/killing power over "standard" bullets to date.

For "standard calibers," I'd think any good enough bullet would work quite well on any game - assuming good shot placement, but when using something a bit "down-loaded or "marginal," I'll go with the Barnes every time.
Old July 24, 2002, 03:17 PM   #9
Al Thompson
Staff Alumnus

Labgrade, how's your accuracy with the Barnes X bullets?
Old July 24, 2002, 04:15 PM   #10
labgrade
Member In Memoriam

I've only used 'em (the Barnes XBTs) in "marginal calibers/velocities" - due to the perceived (& later experienced) added penetration required - in our "short-barreled" Rem M7s & a Contender pistol round. (BTW, I've yet to play with any of the Barnes' flat based bullets)

They've worked plenty "good enough" for hunting accuracy = just at "100 yard MOA," - (yeah, I know ... )

All my twist rates were at 1:10" - velocities were at 22-2600 fps - & calibers of 7mm through .308" - 140s through 165s repectively.

Barnes bullets seem to "work" for some & not for others re accuracy. Still, they have, in my experience, very "acceptable enough" hunting accuracy. In every one of my hunting platforms, the Barnes have shot sub-or right at just +MOA groups - worst case.

From what I've noticed (throuh a very personal & limited experience, Barnes coppers XBTs won't give The Best accuracy, but will do good enough at-or-sub 1.5 MOA - worst case & that with not a real attempt at wringing out the very best of the best - likely, playing with some other powders, etc. could do some better.

Thing is - I do a lot of less-than 30-yard (I call it "bow-hunting with a rifle") dark-timber elk-hunting. Deer, obviously fall into this same category. MOA doesn't really come into play, but I still do the 300-yard+ "plaything" with these same loads - I do want to know what they'll do at 300+ yds in case I'd want to shoot somethig towards 300 yards & the Barnes'll do, in my stuuf & without a complete wringing out of the whole handloading bit, an easy 1-1/2 MOA grouping.

For everything, these Barnes shoot through everything to date & at every range I've used 'em.

I do hate their cost, but for a "marginal caliber bullet," I haven't seen anything that'll do the job better. 'Course too, I haven't used any "lesser bullet" to prove my point neither in these "sub calibers." (BTW, in these "sub-calibers," I've harvested CO elk 4-for-4 to date - that "bow-hunting with a rifle thing" tends to get whatever it is you want ... it's a hunting kill-set ... really, if you can kill it with a bow 'n arrow, you can certaintly do the same with any rifle/suitable handgun)

I've done quite a bit better for accuracy, but haven't yet had any bullet penetrate (& kill) anything better yet.
Old July 25, 2002, 05:42 AM   #11
Al Thompson
Staff Alumnus

I've noticed that sub .338 rifles seem to be a binary switch - either they group well or not at all. The .338 and up rifles seem to have a high rate of acceptance.
Old July 29, 2002, 10:18 PM   #12
sniper1az

I would ONLY use Nosler Partitions or an equivlent to hunt moose with a 7-08 . Shoot the heavy end of bullet weights .Try out different weights & hunt with most accurate one your rifle likes . Try some Varget powder , It will produce high velocity and is very , very accurate .