The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old February 7, 2016, 09:07 PM   #1
Hunter Customs

Shooting my AR

I received a couple of cases of Black Hills 223 ammo so I figured I would break out my AR and do a little shooting today.
I purchased this ammo with the intention of using it in my AR as I really don't have time nor do I want to reload ammo for it.

The ammo I received was the 52 gr match and the 55 gr soft point.
The rifle being used is a DPMS Oracle, 16 inch barrel 1 in 9 twist, with a SWFA SS 6 power scope.
This is not the most accurate AR I've owned but when I do my part I can keep groups MOA at 100 yards with good ammo.
The Black Hills ammo was consistent with shooting MOA groups and both loads shot pretty much to the same impact point.
I have the rifle zeroed where I can hold dead on a coyote out to 250 yards.

So to end the day I moved from my rifle range to around behind my house where my pickup is parked.
I took a empty Dasani water bottle (16.9 OZ variety) refilled it with water and place it a good 200 yards from the back of my truck in a picked bean field.
Grabbed my AR, chambered a 55gr soft point, put a half a mill correction on my windage knob as I had a quartering wind, braced the rifle and myself across the bed of my truck, squeezed the trigger and sent a large water spray plume into the air.

I smiled, thought to myself that would have been a dead coyote, unloaded the AR went into the house to relax a bit.

Best Regards
Bob Hunter
Old February 7, 2016, 09:15 PM   #2
Model12Win

You hit the target! SUCCESS!!!
Old February 7, 2016, 10:42 PM   #3
joe sixgun

That was my day almost to a T. Except for the relaxing part. And the new ammo. Good day shooting though.
Old February 8, 2016, 03:02 PM   #4
Hunter Customs

Quote:
Good day shooting though.
Yes it was a good day shooting, a little windy but 60 degrees, not bad for February in Missouri.
Now today is a different story, 28 degrees and blowing snow, this is typical February in Missouri.
Oh well, the next decent day I'll get my shooting fix and burn up some more Black Hills 223 ammo.

Best Regards
Bob Hunter