The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old March 24, 2013, 11:19 AM   #1
loltraktor1918

Streamlining my collection.

Well after much thinking and soul searching I decided to streamline my handgun collection. Interested in hearing your thoughts.

-I sold my Ruger SR.22. Reason: I was shooting it more than my other handguns due to the price of ammo. I will not allow myself to get another .22 handgun, at least for the foreseeable future. I now find I am shooting my .9mm and .45, and .357s more, although not as much as the .22. Still, I think it paid off as the .22 was not the weapon I used for self defense.

-2 I sold my CZ P-01. Reason I have a Beretta M9 and Glock 17. I decided that, although, I enjoyed shooting the CZ, I would rather stick with the Glock, especially as I plan on buying a Glock .19. This way the magazines for both Glocks could be used in either firearm. At the same time, additional magazines for the Glocks are cheaper and there are a host of extra products for the Glocks that I have not seen for the CZ. I have kept the M9 mainly out of nostalgia due to my service in the military. But, yes I do still miss the CZ.

-3 I sold my Ruger SP101 .357. I reasoned that I have the Ruger LCR and GP-100 both .357. Both CCW and hunting can be covered with the LCR and GP100. The money from the SP101 went toward ammo.

-4. I sold my .22 Pucara revolver. Same reasoning that I sold the Ruger SR22. I now find myself shooting my .357s more, although mainly with .38 rounds for practice.

-5. I bought a Glock 21 .45 ACP. I have come along way since I thought I would never buy a Glock. I must admit I am totally sold on this European firearm and am now looking at getting a Glock 30S. I do have two 1911s in .45 which I will keep and IMO are the most beautiful semi autos ever made.

Well there it is. Overall I am pretty contented with the move. I have a lot more ammo and money put aside for the two Glocks I plan on getting this year. I also bought two additional magazines for the Glock17.
Old March 25, 2013, 09:18 PM   #2
wpsdlrg

I can understand your actions. In a way, it sounds as if you've arrived at the same conclusion as I, though perhaps in a different way. I came to the decision, some months ago, that having multiple "platforms", or hand guns with differing trigger styles and feel, was holding me back as regards shooting ability. So, I concentrated on two pistols, both in 9mm and both DA/SA, with very similar trigger feel, size, weight and ergonomics. My chosen two are not the same brand and/or model, but they are similar enough.

In a sense, you are doing the same, in going with multiple Glocks. I realize that you are not specializing in one cartridge, but, nevertheless, you will have consistency in feel and operation. Perhaps you didn't plan the streamlining you've undertaken with that in mind, but you will accomplish it nonetheless. I am willing to bet that, over time, it will serve to improve your shooting skills, in addition to the other advantages you cited.
Old March 25, 2013, 10:01 PM   #3
loltraktor1918

wpsdlrg good points. I had not even really considered trigger style and feel. Those are excellent points. I can certainly see, in my particular case, the Glock 9mm and .45 platforms becoming my semi autos of choice for self defense.

I will likely always keep my M9 and 1911s, but presently they are not my "go to" firearms.

I have considered moving to one caliber, but I am not ready to focus solely on either the .45 or 9mm yet. Eventually narrowing down to one cartridge type may occur. I certainly see the utility in so doing.
Old March 25, 2013, 10:34 PM   #4
oldgunsmith

If streamlining means drifting towards what feels good to you, you're doing good.
Old March 26, 2013, 08:08 AM   #5
loltraktor1918

oldguns, that seems to be the direction I am going in. I have been doing the same thing with my long guns too.

Gone_Now, my thinking with the semi autos and revolvers goes somewhat like this. When I get the Glock 19/30S that will be my primary CCW, and the LCR will be go to into an ankle holster.

I do like the extra rounds and fast reloads with the SA. I am still buying .22 ammo for my rifles. The last couple of boxes I bought worked out to about .08 cents a round. I hope the prices will drop back to normal soon.
Old March 26, 2013, 08:57 AM   #6
stu925

I understand why you did it but don't necessarily agree with it and here's my reasoning:

.22lr is a whole lot cheaper than any centerfire handgun round and therefor will allow a lot more practice. The basic fundamentals of handgun shooting are sight alignment and trigger control, these fundamentals will transfers across all handgun platforms. While the controls on the various handguns may be different those basic fundamentals are not and any trigger time is worth it's weight in gold. If you shot the .22's quite often then you were getting a lot of practice in the fundamentals, you would however need to dedicate some time to your carry guns so that you would stay familiar with their controls and the added recoil and noise. I always shoot my carry guns last so that these are freshest in my mind (not that it's necessary since I have so many rounds through them it's second nature).

Since you've already sold off the .22 I would suggest looking for .22 conversion kits for your autos and maybe an LCR in .22lr to allow you cheap practice with your carry guns. If ammunition costs are not an issue for you then you can disregard all of this. For me, cost of ammunition is a huge issue and I reload my own, I can't imagine buying factory ammo for my guns, I'd never shoot at all.

Stu
Old March 26, 2013, 10:53 AM   #7
loltraktor1918

Stu925, good points. I do agree that I will not be spending as much time shooting handguns overall as I no longer have the SR22, however I am spending more time shooting the higher caliber weapons. A buddy and I are planning on going shares in reloading equipment so we can start making our own rounds.
Old March 26, 2013, 11:58 AM   #8
Gunbunny1

streamlining...

I only wish I had enough guns to streamline my collection. Seems like I just keep acquiring them. I dont have enough hands to shoot them all. I continually reach for my BHP. Solid. Dependable. Always in reach. I learned on it. It belonged to my late father. It was his cc. I have a love affair with this gun. I am a little lady with 4 handguns to count to date. My good old Browning Hi-Power. I have yet to meet the handgun that will replace it. But when I do....it will have some pretty big britches to fill.
WW11 FN Browning Hi-Power 9m, F.E I. 22lr POS revolver, Sig Mosquito 22lr SA, Taurus 94 22lr revolver. My next gun.....357 magnum revolver or 45 ACP SA....so many choices so little time...hey show me that great big shiney one.....hummmm....looks like my wallet just got several bills lighter..
Old March 26, 2013, 05:34 PM   #9
jackpine

I find myself going in the direction of "a pair and a spare" and that has turned out to be glocks and S&W N frames covering 9x19 357 and 45 acp and I don't feel a need to buy any others.
Old March 26, 2013, 05:56 PM   #10
newfrontier45

Makes no sense to me whatsoever but whatever blows your skirt up.

Trigger time builds skill and .22's allow for a lot of trigger time for the dollar spent. Less trigger time = less skill. I've never heard of anyone getting rid of guns because of their virtues. You've effectively taken a couple steps backwards, good luck with that.
Old March 28, 2013, 10:48 AM   #11
SmokinSigs357

^^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^^^

I was reading the post and wondering why would you would get rid of a gun you shoot...and like to shoot?

I got rid of my Glock 20 for a couple of reasons: It sucked and effective (hot) rounds for it are expensive.

I got rid of my FN FiveseveN Pistol because it didn't excite me. It was like shooting a .22 but the ammo was extremely expensive and difficult to get, which leads me to the same reason why I got rid of my FN PS90...I get more thrills shooting my Smith and Wesson M&P 15 22 for a lot less money. If I ever need a short rifle with a deadly round, I've got a Polish AK with an underfolder stock that eats steel rounds.
Old March 28, 2013, 11:19 AM   #12
Mr Budha

Maybe would have kept the Ruger .22 only because it's a great gun to teach someone to shoot. But I do understand selling the rest.
Old March 28, 2013, 11:43 AM   #13
BigJimP

We all have budgets....so I understand your approach...

But keeping a gun you like - even if you're not shooting it / doesn't cost you anything to feed it ! So I wouldn't get rid of something you like - regardless of whether its a .22 / 9mm / .45 acp / .357 mag or whatever....

Too often on the forum someone responds with - yeah, they're great guns, I used to have one, sorry I ever sold it - not it'll cost me $ 500 more to buy another one than what I sold it for ....
---------
I try not to buy on an emotional whim...and buy what I truly love to own. But I am guilty of buying a gun I really like - even if I already have one / just because its a great deal. So over the years I've ended up with a variety of 1911's - in a variety of calibers - some I shoot all the time, some I hardly ever shoot / even some outright duplicates ( a pair of model 19 S&W revolvers in 4", Nickel, .357 mag ...and a pair of model 66's, stainless 4", in .357 mag )....and some of these "extra guns", I'll pass down to adult kids in the family one of these days....but out of 50 or so handguns / most of the time, I shoot the same 5 or 6 guns.../ so logically having 50 guns make little sense..../ but I've kept them anyway ( and they've been purchased over the last 40yrs or so, not just in last 1 or 2 yrs.

So I am starting to sell some of my duplicates that I rarely shoot ...(like one of my 1911's in .45 acp - but I have two I like better ) ....and one of my model 19's ...because I like one better...../ but I'm not willing to sell a one of a kind gun, that I really love, regardless of what its worth on the market - just because I haven't shot it in awhile ( like a model 29-2 S&W, .44 mag, 8 3/8" barrel, Nickel finish).....

If I needed the money ...I might change my mind...I don't know. But I think I'd really regret selling any unique guns in my collection...and I'd earn the money I needed some other way.

But whatever works best for you, is what you ought to do.
Old March 28, 2013, 01:01 PM   #14
milito227

I don't agree with the selling of your .22. I have done a lot of competition shooting. I did more practicing with my .22s than my competition pistol. The fundamentals are the same. the only real difference is recoil control. You'll be a better shot with your .357 by shooting 500 rounds out of your .22 than you will be by shooting 50 rounds out of your .357

p.s. If you are from Idaho please also check out and support our local Zidaho.com forums.
Old March 28, 2013, 01:25 PM   #15
natman

Quote:
-I sold my Ruger SR.22. Reason: I was shooting it more than my other handguns due to the price of ammo. I will not allow myself to get another .22 handgun, at least for the foreseeable future.
I don't recall ever getting rid of a gun because it was too cheap to shoot.
Old March 28, 2013, 01:26 PM   #16
natman

Quote:
-I sold my Ruger SR.22. Reason: I was shooting it more than my other handguns due to the price of ammo. I will not allow myself to get another .22 handgun, at least for the foreseeable future.
I don't recall ever getting rid of a gun because it was too inexpensive to feed it.
Old March 28, 2013, 08:30 PM   #17
berettaprofessor

Quote:
I was reading the post and wondering why would you would get rid of a gun you shoot...and like to shoot?
Yep, makes absolutely no sense to me. You just streamlined your collection, decreased your overall practice time, and increased your costs.
Old March 28, 2013, 08:31 PM   #18
Dragline45

Quote:
I agree this is just crazy. Practice with a .22 transitions over to every other pistol, like others said the fundamentals are all the same. You just gave away your cheapest and best practice tool, not to mention loads of cheap fun.

Last edited by Dragline45; March 28, 2013 at 09:49 PM.
Old March 28, 2013, 09:25 PM   #19
John D

Nine times out of ten I'll shoot one or more 22's at a range session. Too accurate, too affordable, too much fun!!
Old March 28, 2013, 09:56 PM   #20
wpsdlrg

He sold off his .22 because he WANTED to do so. No explanation needed - his gun/ his choice.

Yes, practice with a .22 will translate SOMEWHAT to other calibres. But only somewhat. Ultimately, for truly important shooting practice, such as for competition or self-defense, practicing with anything other than the gun and cartridge that will be used is not all that useful. Anybody really want to argue that point ? The OP did cite self-defense practice as his (indirect) reasoning for the sale. The issue of the cost of ammo for each is a another matter.

As such, I think it makes perfect sense. Perhaps not to you guys, but it certainly does to me.

I've done much the same thing. That is, sold off a gun (in fact, a couple of them), that I liked and shot well - in order to further a particular purpose. Specifically, so that the two pistols that I would keep would use the same cartridge....and be as close as possible to each other in operation, ergonomics and feel. Given that these two pistols are the ones I carry for SD...and practice with exclusively now.... I think that my reasoning was sound.
Old March 28, 2013, 10:56 PM   #21
newfrontier45

True but he did ask for opinions.
Quote:
Interested in hearing your thoughts.

Quote:
Anybody really want to argue that point ?
Yes, I do. Because it is utter nonsense. Trigger time with deliberate intent builds skill. Period. The .22LR accommodates a lot of trigger time for very little money. Recoil is but one of many factors but far from the only or most important. A deliberate shooter (deliberate as in not just mindless blasting) can build a lot of shooting skill with .22's. Overall familiarity, reloads, sight picture, trigger control, point shooting, shooting from leather, etc.. All these things can be learned with a rimfire. IMHO, anyone who thinks otherwise, is probably not much of a shooter. A lifetime of shooting and a couple hundred thousand rounds downrange has made this painfully clear to me.
Old March 28, 2013, 11:02 PM   #22
orionengnr

I agree with the numerous posts on the .22. I take a .22 every range trip and "warm up" with it.
I am looking for a quality .22 conversion for my 1911, but until then, my Ruger MkII is one of my most efficient and economical training tools. It is also fun, and useful for introducing first-time shooters to the sport, which I try to do regularly.
Old March 29, 2013, 05:35 AM   #23
wpsdlrg

"Yes, I do. Because it is utter nonsense. Trigger time with deliberate intent builds skill. Period. The .22LR accommodates a lot of trigger time for very little money. Recoil is but one of many factors but far from the only or most important. A deliberate shooter (deliberate as in not just mindless blasting) can build a lot of shooting skill with .22's. Overall familiarity, reloads, sight picture, trigger control, point shooting, shooting from leather, etc.. All these things can be learned with a rimfire. IMHO, anyone who thinks otherwise, is probably not much of a shooter. A lifetime of shooting and a couple hundred thousand rounds downrange has made this painfully clear to me."

Shooting .22's, instead of the specific pistol to be used for SD, etc. is ONLY good for practice of shooting FUNDAMENTALS. If you are as experienced as you indicate, you would most assuredly know that. I did not, by the way, say that shooting .22's is useless, or anything of the sort. But, the ONLY way to fully build experience, capability and confidence with a pistol (or any other firearm that will be used for a specific purpose)....is by using THAT particular firearm. That is, in terms of going BEYOND the basics, which is the point of this discussion. Competition shooters don't practice with their little 22's, because they cost a few cents less to shoot....and ignore the hardware that they will actually use for competition, any more than accomplished "combat" shooters do. It is absolute BALONEY to suggest otherwise.

IF, newfrontier45, you have as much experience as you seem to proffer....and IF you are in fact not just "not much of a shooter" ....then I would think THAT would be "painfully obvious" to you, too.

In any case, I'll go back to my original statement. The OP sold his .22 because he wanted to - and he owes neither you, nor anyone else, any explanation. Yes, he asked for opinions. You gave yours....and I've given mine. So be it.

Last edited by wpsdlrg; March 29, 2013 at 09:52 AM.
Old March 29, 2013, 05:07 PM   #24
Dragline45

wpsdlrg, Did you not have your coffee this morning or something?

I am going to wholeheartedly agree with newfrontier.
Old March 30, 2013, 11:49 AM   #25
L_Killkenny

Quote:
He sold off his .22 because he WANTED to do so. No explanation needed - his gun/ his choice.
He asked for opinions............

And as such, sellin a gun because he shoots it too much is backwards. It's like devorcing a hot woman with a great personality for an ugly woman who whines too much. It's just wrong.

You, the OP, are worried about SD, I get it. But there are about a hundred other aspects to guns that you are missin. Almost feel sorry for ya.