The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old March 9, 2013, 02:13 PM   #1
BoogieMan

First Mag Rifle

I have 303, 30-06, 30-30 but I want a Mag for no other reason than they are a Mag. I checked out a Browning A Bolt 338wm. Great rifle, but I dont think I want to pop on the smaller short mag and ultra mags. I want a full size Weatherby mag. I dont have any experience with any of the mag cartridges. At the range I will have the oportunity to shoot it at 300yds, when I get up to my property in NE PA i can shoot out to 600-700 yds. The only possible practical use I have for this rifle may be a mouse hunt. I do reload.
So lay it on me. Which one and why? I will be buying used. Right now many people seem to be trading in the big bolts for AR's and the such so many on the shelves. Often having a scope. The A-Bolt today had a Leopold VX 3-9x40 on top and was tagged at $600 for a SS.
Your tactics suck"
- Unknown
Old March 9, 2013, 03:33 PM   #2
AllenJ

Mice are not considered hard to kill so you may be over gunned with a Weatherby Mag Sorry, could not resist.

If you want a magnum and your heart is set on a Weatherby, I'd go with the 300. Far more bullet weights to choose from in .308 caliber than in the .338.
Old March 9, 2013, 04:28 PM   #3
Cheapshooter

Without your insistance on it being a Weatherby magnum I would say look for something in the very versital 7MM Remington Magnum. But If you have to have a Weatherby magnum, and you seem to favor 30 caliber, go for a 300 Weatherby.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old March 9, 2013, 05:17 PM   #4
Nullcone

Quote:
I want a Mag for no other reason than they are a Mag
Quote:
I want a full size Weatherby mag
Depending on what you mean by "full size", I think you'd be smart to look at a 257 Weatherby.

Lower initial cost and cheaper to practice with (especially since you reload). Still a very capable hunting round.

And if I'm not mistaken, some very high BC hunting-suitable projectiles are out there now.

If "full size" means something else... find a boomer someone bought, put part of a box of rounds through then decided he'd like to keep his retinas attached, thank you very much.

I'm trying to acquire a 375 H&H via the above method at the moment and am oh so close.

Luck.
Old March 9, 2013, 05:55 PM   #5
BoogieMan

By full size I dont necessarily mean a weatherby mag. I just dont want one of the short or ultra mags.
300wby mag has been on my short list.

The mouse is much more of a challenge to kill than a moose.
Try and hit one with a 30-06, the muzzle blast send them flying before the bullet gets close
Your tactics suck"
- Unknown
Old March 9, 2013, 07:57 PM   #6
sserdlihc

Weatherby ammo can sometimes be a chore to find. If you reload, you are good to go. If not , stay with regular magnum calibers ie...7mm rem mag, 300 win mag.
Old March 9, 2013, 08:18 PM   #7
AllenJ

If not a Weatherby magnum take a close look at the 7mm Remington magnum. It is very easy on the shoulder, much more so than a 300 mag. It is accurate and there is an excellent range of bullet styles/weights available.
Old March 9, 2013, 08:30 PM   #8
RonR6

I have a .300 Weatherby mag Accumark and it is a big fairly heavy rifle. Ammo is not available at a lot of places and can be very expensive, especially now. I reload for it so that is not a problem and I see you reload also, I would recommend a .300 instead of the .338 because of bullet availability and type. Like I said it's a little pricie to shoot but it's a great rifle and cartridge. I have shot a few deer with it, but it's a little overkill on Pennsylvania whitetails under a 100 yards.
Old March 9, 2013, 08:30 PM   #9
PVL

I avoided the 7mm Remington mag for years - because it was so popular...

Doh! ( Smacking forehead )

I sure am glad I finally got past that attitude. I can see why it's so popular, it really is a great cartridge.
Old March 10, 2013, 02:54 PM   #10
reynolds357

Even though you mentioned you did not want a WSM, if you are seriously considering a 7Rem mag, you might want to look very closely at a 7WSM. The WSM is much more efficient that the Rem mag. You also get rid of the belt. Velocity is very similar.
Old March 10, 2013, 03:06 PM   #11
gwhunran

I don't have a belted magnum but being a handloader, I would choose one that did not have a belt because I've heard that belted brass isn't reloadable as many times. I'm sure someone on here has reloaded both and can offer first hand experience with the issue.
Old March 10, 2013, 03:26 PM   #12
Mauser8mm

300 Win Mag

The 300 Winchester Magnum is common, and not too expensive. You can find it in many rifles. It is a huge round and is capable of quite a distance. That's your best bet.

It's better to be silent and called a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt
Old March 10, 2013, 05:40 PM   #13
reynolds357

In my experience, belted lasts as long as non belted so long as you leave the H&H stuff out of your comparison. I actually like belted cases myself, but in the last 10 years the belt has become evil to many. A belted case is harder to develop a super accurate load for than a non belted case. The 300 Win Mag still does very well in 600 yd and 1000 yd benchrest. I dont see a lot of practical difference between belted and non. If you split a case, the belt sure is a nice thing to have. Keeps the hot gas going the direction it should. The headspacing argument kind of flies out the window because nothing is stopping you from neck sizing a belted magnum if you so desire. I neck size my .300 Win mag 600 yd rifle brass.
Old March 10, 2013, 08:14 PM   #14
BoogieMan

I happen to pick up some range brass that was 300 Win mag. Not very many people at the range with any type of mag rifle. Thanks for the advice, I have a better idea of what to look for on the used rifle rack.
Other than that I tend to like the Browning A & X bolt but they are a little limited. I would also look at the M77's and Weatherby. Any issue with any of those rifles?
Your tactics suck"
- Unknown
Old March 10, 2013, 08:33 PM   #15
TexIndian

I'm perfectly happy with my 7 Rem Mag and have been shooting it for 30 years. The deal about the belt is mostly hot air. If it bothers you, there are now specialized dies that let you size the brass all the way down to the belt, one of the arguments made against the belted mags. The keys to accuracy are at the other end of the case IMHO and they can be controlled just like any other cartridge.

The 7mm projectiles are inherently more accurate than the 30 caliber bullets which gives the 7 Mag a downrange advantage over the 300 Win Mag any any other 30 cal (see Brian Litz's article on this HERE. Brian is the chief ballistician for Berger Bullets.) And take a look at that short neck on the 300 Win Mag while you're at it.

The other advantage of 7 Rem Mag is the availability of ammo and components compared to something like Weatherby ammo. Just my opinion of course. YMMV
Old March 10, 2013, 08:37 PM   #16
reynolds357

7 is not more accurate than .30. .30BR proves that daily in competition.
Old March 10, 2013, 08:40 PM   #17
TexIndian

Did you read the article? Perhaps I mispoke. The 7mm bullets have ballistic advantages over the 30 bullets downrange. The lighter flat-base bullets used in BR may be very accurate within their parameters, but when you get downrange beyond the effective range of those bullets, the ballistics of the longer, narrower bullets take over.

Last edited by TexIndian; March 10, 2013 at 08:51 PM.
Old March 10, 2013, 08:53 PM   #18
reynolds357

Yes. Your paraphrase of what he said is, in my opinion, not accurate.
Old March 10, 2013, 10:32 PM   #19
math teacher

BoggieMan, you might want to try shooting your friends magnums before you invest in one. Not everyone's cup of tea. You didn't make clear what you need a magnum for. Brown Bears? If you just want to shoot a "magnum," the 7mm mag or the 257 Weatherby are good recommendations. They shoot flat without kicking you to death. The only thing I use my 338 on is moose and to be honest, my 7mm mag works just fine on them.
Old March 10, 2013, 11:21 PM   #20
Boomer58cal

For mouse I tend to lean towards the .22 LR and the bb gun. Although my 12 and 20 gauges have done swell in the past.

If we're talking moose and mag then I'd without a doubt go with a 7mm or 300 win. Both are very common, more than powerful and flat shooting. I love my 7mm but wish it was a 300 win so I could use the same bullets as my 30-06's. So my vote is 300 win mag. You can't go wrong with a 30 cal.
Old March 10, 2013, 11:32 PM   #21
BerdanSS

300 win mag is plentiful around here...and the price hasn't gone up one penny since all the craziness started. Heck I saw 4-5 boxes of it at walmart last time I went (we try to avoid shopping there at all cost)

Last time I could even find a tag on the shelf for .30 cal weatherby of any brand...it was at the bass pro shop dang near in Kentucky...and it wasn't a good price.
Old March 10, 2013, 11:36 PM   #22
38superhero

I have the 7mm mag , my cousin the 300. win mag, when he touches one off the world stops spinning, I would get the 300.