The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old January 15, 2016, 06:04 PM   #1
stagpanther

PSA Parts Nightmare: Episode III: The Force Prevails

I finally decided to stop waiting for PSA's proprietary parts for the upper and finish assembly. However, I soon realized that pulling the rail and barrel nut off after the fact to put the ejection port cover on was not something I wanted to repeat when I finally put a cover on--so I cannibalized parts from a DPMS set-up--no big deal just a bit of grinding to clear the barrel nut and she was good to go. As fate would have it--about an hour after I finished-- the parts finally were delivered from PSA. Oh well.

So here is the final assembly list:

KAK 19" 358 win rifle length standard profile barrel, PSA PA 10 upper and lower receivers, PSA 308 BCG, CMMG LPK and UPK (where usable), PSA proprietary pivot pins, bolt catch and mag catch, PSA proprietary forward assist, Diamond head 15" 308 low rail, Khantrol solutions HexMod large caliber brake, YHM melonite rifle length gas tube and Ergo .750 block, Magpul MOE grip and CTR carbine stock, JP adjustable fire-control group.

Now to find 358 go no/go gauges--or do I really need em?? LOL

Last edited by stagpanther; January 16, 2016 at 10:24 AM.
Old January 16, 2016, 02:19 PM   #2
Metal god

If you have a 358 Winchester chamber . You use 308 GO NO-GO gauges .
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/491...358-winchester
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/539...358-winchester

That's an interesting round . You can load up to 250gr bullets and all the way down to light 38 special bullets . Sounds kinda cool if you reload .

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .
Old January 16, 2016, 02:32 PM   #3
stagpanther

Quote:
If you have a 358 Winchester chamber . You use 308 GO NO-GO gauges .
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/491...358-winchester
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/539...358-winchester

That's an interesting round . You can load up to 250gr bullets and all the way down to light 38 special bullets . Sounds kinda cool if you reload .
It IS a very interesting round, isn't it ; ) I don't do 308 builds so I don't have any case gauges for it--I have a wilson case gauge on the way which I'm more interested in anyway since I can check the actual fire-formed tolerances. And I do intend on loading a whole bunch recipes from casual plinker to moose-dropping wrecking ball. : )
Old January 16, 2016, 11:20 PM   #4
FrankenMauser

Very cool.

It should be a good tree blaster ...errr... Moose gun.

I like that brake.
It has a cleaner look than the Tromix brakes that I have on the SOCOM and Tremor.

What's the diameter of the free-float tube?
I don't see it listed when I look up the tube.
Old January 17, 2016, 01:32 AM   #5
Model12Win

Nice battle rifle you've got there!
Old January 17, 2016, 01:37 AM   #6
stagpanther

Good question--it doesn't have a diameter exactly since the profile is more of a trapezoid kinda shape, here's a (sorry, crappy) pic from the front:

The shape leaves about a 1.67" wide ID at it's widest point near the base--but does not leave much room for anything else at the top other than a low-pro style block and gas tube--don't think it would work with a higher-profile block, inside the guard anyway, or a piston gas system--but likely would still work with an HBAR profile as far as I can tell. I like it mostly because the shape is very natural and easy to grip and I can add accessory rails where I want--but otherwise is smooth with dimples that aid grip. If I had to guess--it probably wouldn't dump heat as well as a wider more airy design if you were going to be doing some serious magazine dumping continuous fire. the proprietary barrel nut is about the easiest system I've ever used for attaching and aligning a rail to a receiver and completely removes the need for timing the torque to align the gas tube to the upper. however--as far as I can tell--it is also made of exclusively aluminum--not sure what, if any, the long-term durability implications of that might be. Another slight issue with the rail--I've got them on 2 guns now--is that there is a very small step-down from the receiver rail to the hand guard rail of a few hundredths of an inch or so on both installs I have--not a biggy as I figure this will only slightly affect elevation settings as the rail otherwise appears to be straight in windage.

I'm a big fan of Kahntrol brakes on bigger caliber guns that generate significant recoil--I've used one on a 300 win mag for years and it's rock solid and without a doubt makes the recoil more mangeable and most importantly mitigates muzzle-rise.

Of course I'm dying to put the first rounds down the tube--but considering all the "funkiness" of non-standard tolerances I've been running up against in this build so far I'm hesitant in assuming that the headspacing is probably within acceptable limits without a more definitive measurement and so am waiting on gauges to arrive before firing her.

@model 12--thanks, I call it "America's Rifle 10, Deep Woods Large Game Hunter"

Last edited by stagpanther; January 17, 2016 at 09:21 AM.
Old January 17, 2016, 04:38 PM   #7
Crankylove

I have a .358 Winchester bolt gun, have been dreaming of a .358 AR for a few years..............this build makes me very jealous.
Old January 17, 2016, 05:31 PM   #8
stagpanther

Quote:
I have a .358 Winchester bolt gun, have been dreaming of a .358 AR for a few years..............this build makes me very jealous.
I'm chomping at the bit to go fire her--but there have been so many irregularities along the build process that I'm not nearly as confident about barrel extension and BCG mating tolerances most likely not being a problem as I would if it were an AR 15-based build--so I am awaiting the arrival of gauges to be sure.

I also thought about inviting one of the local gun nuts to try firing her first--if I don't hear a scream after the bang I'll assume everything is fine, ; )

I'll defintely be posting the results when I get around to live fire--the 358 win is a fascinating cartridge with an almost Cinderella-like story behind it. If you have any hand load recipes you've found especially nice--by all means do tell. : )