The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old May 21, 2009, 06:59 PM   #1
EmptyHull

Six Shooter question

I am looking at the 1873 Cattleman Uberti line and Heritage line of SAA pistols. I would like to know whats the difference between the different models in the Uberti lineup? There is a matt blue finish, steel finish and a brass on the Matt blue. Also, what is the difference between the Cattleman Hombre, CHISHOLM and the GUNFIGHTER models? Tim
Old May 22, 2009, 04:17 PM   #2
EmptyHull

I found the Uberti for below MSRP, 1873 Hombre model 5.5 " barrel. Question is do I go 45 or the 38/357 route? Tim
Old May 23, 2009, 08:11 AM   #3
champ198

when i started CAS shooting i shot 45 colts....they are much higher money wise to shoot than 38/357 even if you reload them.....thats why this time i went with 38/357s.....much much cheaper to load
Old May 23, 2009, 09:21 PM   #4
Wobble

I have a Cattleman Chisholm .45 Colt, 5.5" barrel, completely matte blue and checkered handles, which I just shot on the range for the first time today. It feels good and shoots very well. I'm very pleased with it.

Last time I counted, Uberti has about 58 variations of the Cattleman with different combinations of frame finish, backstrap and trigger guard finish, handles, barrel length, caliber, and new/old model. Some specific combinations have names such as Hombre, Cody, Desperado, Gunfighter, and Frisco. Other combinations don't have special names. Go to the Uberti web site for a complete breakdown of variations and models.
Old May 26, 2009, 03:31 PM   #5
Mark Milton

A local gunshop used to carry the AWA heritage guns. I never fired one but they certainly looked and felt nice....

I am fond of the Cattleman though and you can get it pretty much any way you want it, depending on the importer.

Want an authentic one, right down to the last detail? Check out the Cimarron and Uberti USA line up. Want one with a transfer bar safety? Dig on the Stampede, imported by Beretta.

Want a stainless Peacemaker? Uberti can deliver. Want a blackpowder cap and ball peacemaker? Uberti can deliver.
Other than cosmetic differences the various guns are pretty much mechanicaly identical.
The biggest difference is the "Millenium" models, which, I have read somewhere, have coil springs instead of traditional flat mainsprings, which is somewhat of an improvement. Those are the ones with the matte bue finish and brass grip frames.
Probably the most uncommon Uberti guns are the Buckhorn, which is a big Blackhawk-esque .44 magnum and the Uberti Tornado which is a beautiful gigantic .454 single action.
I have never seen or handled a Tornado, by the way, only seen pics.
Old May 29, 2009, 09:03 PM   #6
EmptyHull

Thanks for the info. Been on vacation and out of touch so thats why the delay. I used to reload 38's about 30 years ago and to go with the 357/38 over 45 is good advice. I am thinkling the case hardened model would be nice as Fathers day is right around the corner! Tim