The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old January 25, 1999, 02:06 AM   #1
Rob Pincus

While at SCI last week, I scheduled an Africa Trip for July.
We will be going to Zimbabwe, with Leopard being the main target, but a variety of plains game being shot as well. No Lions/Elephants or other *permit* animals besides the Leopards. Cape Buffalo is about a 50% possibility. I'll be finalizing arrangements over the next couple of weeks.

Any comments/experiences/suggestions are very welcome.
Old January 25, 1999, 01:36 PM   #2
Mendocino

Congratulations Rob,

I was in Zimbabwe in 1988, but unfortunately not hunting. Boy am I jealous. Last night I sat reading the leopard chapter in Capstick's Death in the Long Grass to my very pregnant wife (due tomorrow). And we discussed future hunts, and returning to Africa (she hunts as well). As usual, I turned our discussion to exterior and terminal ballistics, and we discussed the relative merits of various cartridges for African game (leopard in particular last night). So, what are you taking? My cartridge de jour is the 338-378 Weatherby Magnum.

I hope that you keep us all informed as your plans progress, it would be very informative for me in particular. While I have traveled a great deal for business internationally, all of my hunting to date has been in North America, and I have not had the pleasure of setting up a safari in Africa.

Regards,

JH

Old January 25, 1999, 02:27 PM   #3
Rob Pincus

The list so far includes:
.308 Rem Scout
Blaser R-93 w/ .308, 7mm RM, and possibly .375
12 gauge Benelli

I haven't added a powerhouse yet, but I'll pick something up at SHOT next week. I am considering the .338 Lapua

My wife and I will both be hunting, she loves the 7mm Rem and we were advised that a 12 gauge would be the best thing for her to "have handy" when not specifically hunting an animal. I am going to look into having a BAR II with a ported 16-18" barrel and a scout scope set up in a magnum caliber for general use.

My meeting with the outfitter was very rushed last week, I was only in Reno for a day and a half, with a lot on my schedule, but I'll be seeing him again in a few days at the DSC convention. I am hoping that handgun hunting is okay in Zimabwe, which means I'll bring the RT Glock and a couple of flavors for a Contender in addition to the long guns.

------------------
-Essayons
Old January 25, 1999, 10:04 PM   #4
Ankeny

Be sure to take plenty of fours or sixes for your 12 ga. Bird hunting in Africa is nothing short of fantastic. When I went to Tanzania, the last thing you wanted to show up with was a handgun or any type of camo clothing, but that was many years ago. Obviously, if you go for Buffalo you will need a .375 H&H as a minimum. My best piece of advice? Take as few guns as possible in common chamberings and listen to your guide.
Old January 25, 1999, 10:14 PM   #5
Rob Pincus

I've been told about the bird hunting and will definitely be ready for that.

I know that Zimbabwe still has the official "no camo" laws in place, but my outfitter has assured me that camo is no problem. Given the work I do with Realtree, that was important. In fact, I will be sending a supply of clothing over with him in March, if it doesn't make it in, the deal is off, not just because of the camo, but also because it wil mean that he has misled me. I don't want to be in Africa with someone who has already turned out to incompetent or a liar.

I am keeping my fingers crossed about the handgun. I might even ship him over a handgrip and some barrels and take a T/C Contender in Carbine form over with me, as an option to ease my way while travelling.

My biggest problem will be finding room for Guns & ammo with my wife wanting to take all of her non-huntin' stuff!

------------------
-Essayons
Old January 27, 1999, 09:36 AM   #6
Rich Lucibella
Staff

Last I heard, SA was encouraging tourists to bring handguns for self protection. Can't speak for the rest of the continent.
Rich
Old January 27, 1999, 10:31 AM   #7
Rob Pincus

SA is one of the best choices as far as I am concnerned. It was my first choice for destination, but the particular package I am getting in Zimababwe is hard to pass up.