The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old June 25, 2000, 08:20 AM   #1
tyro

Please address these questions: If you were to choose a single weapon to go with a DB 12G for home defense, would it be handgun or a handgun caliber rifle? Why pick another long gun over a handgun? If a handgun, would you suggest a revolver or a semi-auto? I have never owned a handgun, but if I were to pick that option, I would first complete a CCW training course and go the whole way with it. -tyro
Old June 25, 2000, 09:32 AM   #2
Allen_Raiford

I would suggest a fighting caliber handgun. Get a CHL also since you are in a "shall issue" state.
I think a medium frame double action revolver with a 3-4" barrel, chambered in .38/.357 would be a good choice for a novice.

------------------
"Pathfinders Light the Way!"

[This message has been edited by Allen_Raiford (edited June 25, 2000).]
Old June 25, 2000, 10:25 AM   #3
Patrick Graham

S&W Model 60 with 125 gr non +P federal nyclads.
Old June 25, 2000, 10:26 AM   #4
jthuang

1. Handgun. While houseclearing is to be avoided whenever possible, sometimes it is not (e.g., gotta gather the wife and kids into the saferoom). Handguns are much better suited to clearing, as their short barrels allow for better manuverability in tight corners and hallways.

In addition, the handgun is an excellent companion to a long arm in terms of weapon retention. If a goblin grabs your shotgun, unless you are trained in long arm retention and disarming, don't bother wrestling him for it -- let him have it, draw your handgun and shoot him while he's trying to get the gun oriented on you. You can pick up your shotgun later after he's down.

This is the reason why "tactical" slings are generally not recommended for the lone home defender -- if a goblin grabs your long arm, he is then able to drag you around as well, since you are attached to the gun by your tactical sling. If you use a standard sling, the sling goes with the gun and you stay in place -- which allows you to draw a better bead on him with your handgun.

2. I would recommend the one that fits your hands and that you can shoot well. Read the following for selection of a CCW handgun (but ignore the stuff on carry if you don't carry outside the home) at http://www.members.tripod.com/~jth8260/buy.html

HTH,

Justin

------------------
Justin T. Huang, Esq.
late of Kennett Square, Pennsylvania
Old June 25, 2000, 01:20 PM   #5
Ledbetter

I have handguns in .45, .357, .380 in addition to my Mossberg. The one under my bed in the press-button gun safe is a CZ-75BD, traditional double-action 9mm auto, loaded with hydrashocks, Glaser safety slug on top, with an extra mag full of FMJ. It's never failed to go bang, knock on wood.

It is a large, easy to fire military pistol which comes standard with easy-to-see luminescent sights.
Old June 26, 2000, 05:44 AM   #6
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Again, a service style revolver in 38 or 357 is an excellent tool for defense, home or otherwise, in trained hands.Buy used, darn few US made revolvers have been shot enough to wear them badly.Buy US, while some of the foreing stuff is excellent, QC varies greatly.

The little 5 shot J frames, etc, are nice to carry but harder to shoot. A 3 inch bbl instead of the ubiquitous 2 inch is no harder to hide and is lots easier to shoot well. Again,buy US made and buy used.

Autos are more complicated to operate, and I wouldn't recommend them for a first gun, or even a second.
Old June 26, 2000, 08:34 AM   #7
B Shipley

* & * model 60 w/ a three inch barrel would be a good choice. Don't care for Ruger's SP101 (my mom has one).

Since I know you are a bit older, if I read your first post right, I'd go for the revolver. Kind of tough to rack a slide if your arthritis is acting up, esp. on a smaller frame pistol with little area for grip and stiff springs to make up for a low mass slide.
Old June 26, 2000, 09:02 AM   #8
Coronach

My vote would go towards a handgun, but as others have said, this is a choice you must make for yourself. Same goes towards *which* pistol.

Justin's recommendations on his link seem pretty good to me. My advice seconds his- try out a bunch o guns and pick the one you like best. Just make sure it is reliable and of sufficient power (IMO anything 'above' .380 is sufficient, though others out there are likely twitching after reading that. ).

One bit of advice is to consider heavily the revolver. Some benefits:

1. reliability. They rarely break. (yes yes yes, it does happen. Meteors fall out of the sky and hit people on the head, too. Life is full of risks)

2. capacity. 6 is plenty unless you are in the opening scenes of Red Dawn.

3. economy. In general a quality revolver costs less than a quality semi-auto. In general. Makarov enthusiasts will disagree loudly.

4. Simplicity. Point- click. Repeat as needed.

That last point cannot be stressed enough. When everything goes sideways the simplest tasks get hard and even things with the slightest bit of complexity get confusing. This is ESPECIALLY true if you do not train enough. Revolvers are the ultimate idiot gun. If you pull the trigger, it will go bang. No safeties, no magazines, no mag disconnects, etc etc etc. And they're easy to make safe, too. Pop the cylinder and dump.

If you think this point isn't important or true, watch a raw newbie with a revolver, and with a semi-auto. There is much less hair-raising fumbling with a revolver.

This should in no way be construed as advocating just buying a revolver and not training. I'm just saying that its a more forgiving weapon, IMO.

Ultimately, though? YOU gotta chose. Not me.

Mike
Old June 26, 2000, 08:38 PM   #9
KelTeKee

Revolver!