The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old October 12, 2012, 10:23 PM   #1
reaganmarine84

For all the Taurus bashers out there.

Taurus is definately improving their game. At least in my experience. I'll try to hit the high points and keep this as brief as I can.

I had a few issues with my 809 and my 738. I went to my local UPS shipping place and was told that firearms HAD to be shipped 2nd day air by law. Okay. How much? $75 per gun. I immediately called Taurus customer service when I arrived at work. They told me NO PROBLEM,they e-mailed me 2 pre-paid shipping labels within 15 minutes and I sent the guns off the next day. Unfortunately it was Friday afternoon,which means they wouldn't actually be shipped until Monday,Sept. 24. Taurus received them on Wed,Sept. 26.

I just got both of them back this week. One on Monday,Oct. 8 and one yesterday Oct. 11. All repaired and good to go. They replaced the magazines for my 809 and they replaced the take-down/disassembly pin and worn out slide catch on my 738. All on their dime. And all within 14-17 days;to Taurus,repaired and back to my house. Now,how's that guys??
Taurus 24/7 Pro DS 9mm & .40;(2)Taurus OSS DS 9mm;Taurus OSS DS .40;Taurus 809;809 compact;840;PT709 "slim" SS;PT738;full size BUL Cherokee;SCCY CPX-2;Smith&Wesson BG .380;Arcus 98 DA;EAA witness P 9mm;I.O. inc. AK-47C;Zastava PAP;Mossberg 500 tactical;Marlin model 60.

Last edited by Mike Irwin; October 13, 2012 at 05:48 AM.
Old October 12, 2012, 10:30 PM   #2
HKFan9

So your bragging that you had to ship back two firearms? From the same manufacturer none the less.

I would not consider this a step in the right direction my friend, I have never sent any of my guns back... because none of them are Taurus.

I work in a gun smith shop.... I can tell you some pretty scary statistics on guns that get returned to us, Taurus being number one... but hey... least they keep us busy shipping and receiving them. Our smith's wont even touch em.
Old October 12, 2012, 10:31 PM   #3
James K
Member In Memoriam

Good experience. That is the way it should be, and I hope they keep up the good CS. If they can correct their production troubles so they don't have the problems in the first place (and keep prices competitive) they should be great guns.

Jim
Old October 12, 2012, 10:49 PM   #4
ms6852

I have never trashed taurus but I have not bought another firearm from them since I bought this one 30 years ago. This handgun has never had a malfunction since I have owned it.
Old October 12, 2012, 10:52 PM   #5
zxcvbob

That is a step in the right direction. When I called Taurus about my brand new gun to get a return authorization number to get it fixed, they put me on hold and never picked up again!
Old October 12, 2012, 10:54 PM   #6
mdThanatos

I will admit that I do not recommend their products to those who ask about them and I give my experiences with them. Had a friend that had a Millennium Pro that dropped the mag every time it was shot, had a revolver (Rossi but still same company) that kept breaking the firing pin.

I have however praised their turn around time and the fact that they picked up the shipping both ways. My problem was the fact that my revolver, purchased new, went back to the repair facility 4 times within the 6-7 months that I owned it before I decided to part ways with it. This in fact made me sad as I liked the size and feel of that little gun, it was a 461 6 shot .357 with a 3" barrel, perfect size for a little carry gun and full capacity instead of only 5 rounds.
Old October 12, 2012, 10:56 PM   #7
9mm

Quote:
So your bragging that you had to ship back two firearms? From the same manufacturer none the less.
lol thread will be locked in no time.

Hey man, I really like my Taurus 94. I heard that their auto models arn't the best, but the revolvers are pretty good. I have nothing against Taurus, every company has its lemons, maybe some more than others. Thats why I would stay away from those compaines when picking a SD carry gun. But for plinking/fun at the range, why not.

The only auto that appeals to me from Taurus would be the poly 22lr cal. I mainly like the fact that make decent 22cal revolvers in snubies that are DA, at a good price. S&W is like $700 and Ruger offers the LCR-22 which is DAO.

I have no problem recommending them, but others will say otherwise.
Old October 12, 2012, 11:05 PM   #8
Winchester_73

When I read the thread subject, I thought it would be something like "I have fired 1000 rds thru my Taurus model X and it had only one failure to feed. Here how nice the groups are and here is how nice it looks. Maybe taurus is changing their ways"

Instead the thread is intended to defend Taurus CS, while they came into play to replace parts which had gone bad on their guns. So CS good, gun quality not so good. Still something to bash, obviously...

With Taurus, usually it is poor quality, which causes CS to be contacted, and then CS performs lousy as icing on the cake. Instead, just the gun was on the lousy side, which I guess is half the battle. I don't mean to sound like a jerk, but the story of this thread in no way changes my feelings about Taurus.
Old October 12, 2012, 11:08 PM   #9
zxcvbob

Quote:
Hey man, I really like my Taurus 94. I heard that their auto models arn't the best, but the revolvers are pretty good. I have nothing against Taurus, every company has its lemons, maybe some more than others. Thats why I would stay away from those compaines when picking a SD carry gun. But for plinking/fun at the range, why not.
My Taurus POS is a revolver.

If you have a Taurus and like it, that's great. I'm happy for you. Even Trabant probably accidentally made a few good cars. (you should probably buy a lottery ticket before your luck runs out)
Old October 12, 2012, 11:11 PM   #10
silvermane_1

i said it before and i will say it again, if it wasn't for the QC problems i would be all over taurus, i like the looks of the raging bull and judge series wheelguns.
Rugers:SR1911 CMD,MK 3 .22lr 6",Sec. Six '76 liberty .357 4",SRH .480 Ruger 7.5",Mini-14 188 5.56/.233 18.5", Marlins: 795 .22lr 16.5",30aw 30-30 20",Mossberg:Mav. 88 Tact. 12 ga, 18.5",ATR 100 .270 Win. 22",S&W:SW9VE
9mm 4",Springfield:XD .357sig 4", AKs:CAI PSL-54C, WASR 10/63, WW74,SLR-106c
Old October 13, 2012, 12:46 AM   #11
USMCGrunt

I just got a Taurus 24/7 OSS a couple months ago that I haven't had a bit of problems with so I can't comment on their customer service. I will admit that the trigger is giving me fits though so there has been a LOT of "dummy/ball" drills trying to get used to the trigger. It's been getting better though so I won't complain about it too much. It's not the "HK killer" I have been looking for over the years (my M&P45 is coming close though) but it's not a bad gun either.
Old October 13, 2012, 04:46 AM   #12
Redhawk5.5+P+

To OP

Quote:
I had a few issues with my 809 and my 738. I went to my local UPS shipping place and was told that firearms HAD to be shipped 2nd day air by law. Okay. How much? $75 per gun. I immediately called Taurus customer service when I arrived at work. They told me NO PROBLEM,they e-mailed me 2 pre-paid shipping labels within 15 minutes and I sent the guns off the next day.
That means they owe me $65, and I will bash them for the rest of my life until they pay me back.

I guess I should have been more assertive at the time but I was so mad.......
But I have a life time membership to bash Taurus, USA.
I think they are still in business for two reason's. Some of there gun are reliable, the others are not shot enough to prove otherwise. Test fired (Good enough) by poor cheap ignorant people about guns overall.

300 38spl ($$$$ time, money, gas, range fee's, and frustration also driving down to the ghetto were it's illegal to have firearms UPS off of MLK BLV) wasted rounds to prove my gun was broke. One shot did it, the first .357 shot of .357 in a .357 after 300 38spl's.
At least they sent me a new gun. I put 5 wheels of full power .357s through it, now it seems ok, but I wonder, once bitten twice shy.
LSS, I replecd it with a Ruger SP101, and that was before "I" broke the gun.

Last edited by Redhawk5.5+P+; October 13, 2012 at 08:57 PM.
Old October 13, 2012, 04:50 AM   #13
Redhawk5.5+P+

FYI, true story.

In there defense my first revolver was a Taurus 608 .357 8 Shot 4" revolver.

It was/is a very good working gun after 3000+ mostly factory .357s, and it performs very well.

TBS, I cannot, and I will not (LBJ) recommend any of Taurus product's

Last edited by Redhawk5.5+P+; October 13, 2012 at 05:02 AM.
Old October 13, 2012, 05:51 AM   #14
Mike Irwin
Staff

Let's just avoid all of the profanity, folks.

As in, if you feel the need to use profanity directly (which is then replaced with a series of *****), or abbreviating curse words to get around the filters, find another way to express your intent, please.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old October 13, 2012, 07:12 AM   #15
Kreyzhorse

Quote:
Taurus is definately improving their game...
Now if they would take care of the problems before their guns left the factory they could really step up their game.

Taurus has been typically cursed by two issues: poor QA and poor customer service. Even if they have fixed their poor customer service, I have no reason to believe that their QA has gotten any better.

I've owned one Taurus and after experiencing both their QA and customer service first hand, I won't own another.
Old October 13, 2012, 07:27 AM   #16
militant

Glock has done the same thing for me, but my glock wasn't malfunctioning. I just sent it in because i heard they had a lifetime warranty. They replaced nearly every piece on my glock including the trigger assembly. I have never owned a Taurus.
Old October 13, 2012, 07:35 AM   #17
pete2

I've owned one a PT100, very accurate but it would not shoot 100 rounds without a jam. It didn't matter whether handloads or factory loads. Traded it off. Lost my real job a few years ago and went to work for one of the big box sporting goods stores. We sold a lot of Taurus guns. We got alot of them back to send in on warranty, revolvers that didn't work, semis with parts the fell off, broke etc. Wont buy a Taurus, but some are good.
Old October 13, 2012, 07:38 AM   #18
Skadoosh

Okay...now go shoot the heck out of them. Let us know how they stand up to rigorous use.
Old October 13, 2012, 07:52 AM   #19
Mystro

My experience is 50/50 with Taurus. My Public Defender is spot on but when I called Taurus for a warranty issue with another gun, it was either frustrating or time consuming. I talked to a Spanish speaking man that was quick and rude. I am neutral with Taurus. My PD and Raging Bull have been top self quality but others have been average at best.
Old October 13, 2012, 08:04 AM   #20
blchandl2

I have two PT92s, a PT99, PT58s, and a .357 revolver. Not a single problem out of any of them.

I have stayed away from their polymer guns because of the many complaints.
Old October 13, 2012, 08:23 AM   #21
NO-BODY

My very first handgun was a PT99. It only had a problem one time. It slam fired to full auto with a fresh mag. Very interesting thing to happen when you don't no its coming Never had any other problems. It was a great start to a very long romance with shooting. That was over 20 years ago.
Old October 13, 2012, 09:39 AM   #22
IMTHDUKE

Not so fast to trash Taurus. This is a positive step. If you're going to buy a gun that has a history of problems....you need a good CS....and they have one.

And yes, I have owned a Taurus....just one.
Ed Brown Alpha Carry| Sig P238, P938, P232, 1911 C3 | Colt Defender, Mustang Pocketlite, 1911 | Rohrbaugh R9 | Browning, Buckmark 22LR(suppressed) | Kahr PM9 Black Rose | S&W|M&P C.O.R.E RMR Trijicon | Dan Wesson ECO
Old October 13, 2012, 10:42 AM   #23
Technosavant

There is a video out there of the Taurus CEO promising that they will step up their game, both in quality control and in customer service. Could this be evidence that he was speaking truth?

Possibly, but it will take a while until I trust them enough to spend my money on anything they make.

Oh, and OP, If things are so bad that the CEO feels the need to go public like that, it's a clue that the "bashers" have a very good point.

Link to the video:
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=slfvc9JvPxw
Old October 13, 2012, 10:43 AM   #24
bitttorrrent

Bought a used pt-99 stainless. Nice gun.

Called Taurus just to check on model and a new mag. and they picked up quick and were very nice. Looked up my info and gave me instant price on mag. including shipping to my door.

Gun has been 100% and I love it.
Old October 13, 2012, 03:51 PM   #25
Coltman 77

As soon as I read your thread title I knew it would include sending faulty guns back to Taurus.

But if you're happy that's the main thing. Good luck.

Protect our 2nd Amendment Rights -- Join the NRA