The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old August 21, 2012, 11:53 AM   #1
Vireye

Looking at a Couple SAA's

Hi all. Long time reader for advice, finally registered to actually ASK a few questions.

I've always wanted a SA revolver, and I've been looking at a few. I know asking "Which is best?" is a loaded question, so in this case I'm looking more for personal opinions/debate.

I've narrowed it down to either .45LC or .357 (.45 for the 'tradition', .357 for the cost...I'm still going back and forth on this)

Here's where the real question lies. I'm looking at either a 4 5/8 Ruger New Vaquero, or a 4 5/8 Cimarron Model P.

The Cimarron seems like the more faithful reproduction. That being said, I do like the idea of being able to carry six rounds in the Ruger...

What are the differences, besides the obvious transfer bar? Honestly if that's the only difference, I'll take the loss on historical accuracy to carry the sixth round, and have the Ruger reliability that, from what I've heard, has reached near-legendary status with their SAA's.

This is mostly a "fun gun", but I will occasionally carry it. Can't be much different than the 4-inch S&W 686+ I used to carry...

A couple other factors. I plan to get a set of custom grips with my unit's crest on them, so the factory grips aren't really a concern. I also really like the look of the case-hardened SAA's...I saw its available for the Cimarron's, but I don't know the quality. If I went with Ruger, I'd likely send it out to Turnbull and have it done ($150).

Last edited by Vireye; August 21, 2012 at 12:04 PM.
Old August 21, 2012, 01:00 PM   #2
jmortimer

Cimarron good to SAAMI spec 14k psi
Ruger good to 20k psi
Cimarron may have flat springs which may break (You can have the springs replaced with the Gunslinger Springs)
Ruger has coil springs that last a long time.
As is usually the case with Ruger revolvers, the are well made and built like tanks. You would be happy either way. I have owned both old and new Ruger Vaqueros and they are worth the extra money. For $125.00 you could get an action job on the Cimarron and that would include the coil springs. Cimmaron has begun selling "factory tuned" guns but don't know if they have coil springs. Here is a good place to get single action gun from:
Longhunt.com/
Old August 21, 2012, 01:46 PM   #3
Hawg

The Ruger action is nothing like a Colt. There is no half cock. Opening the loading gate frees the cylinder for loading. The Uberti/Cimarron is true to the original design down to the four hammer clicks.
Old August 21, 2012, 01:54 PM   #4
twobit

Well if you want true-to-form traditional, go with the Cimarron. If you want to carry six instead of five, go with a Ruger. I have a few handguns, including single action, double action, and semi auto ( and one 1860 style cab and ball).

I have a Cimarron SAA Artillery 45 colt as a traditional four click SAA. I love it. I wanted an old style SAA and to me the Ruger was not 100% "old style".

I sometimes carry the Cimarron off duty. When I do, I carry two speed strips of six reloads. I know a single action is not the best carry gun, but I use mine for special occasions or as a "BBQ gun". For more realistic carry guns I have a 92FS, a Ruger LCR and a Walther PPK/S plus a few more.

Rugers are very good guns, and if you think you must carry six but have the style of almost an 1873, then by all means get one.

If you do get a SAA style gun, I recommend a Mernickle PS6-SA holster or a Simply Rugged pancake holster. I have both. The Simply Rugged holster is more utilitarian and protects the gun more for field use, and the Mernickle is more dressy looking. Both holsters allow concealability.
Old August 21, 2012, 07:05 PM   #5
Crunchy Frog

I have Ruger New Vaqueros in .357 that I use for cowboy action shooting. It's probably the most popular revolver in the sport if that means anything. I also have several friends with Uberti "clones" and they are just fine. You can't go wrong with either choice.

If you like a traditional styled single action but you want a transfer bar ignition to be able to carry it fully loaded, consider a Beretta Stampede.
Old August 21, 2012, 08:32 PM   #6
Vireye

Well I made my purchase, thank you all for the input!

Before I did more research and read about the cimarrons, I had originally only heard about the new Vaquero. I called every local gunstore I could find, but NO ONE had any Vaqueros in stock... I was originally asking for a SS 5.5" Vaquero in .357 magnum. No one had any SAA's of any kind.

Today, in preparation for this, I decided to take one of my Glocks (I have plenty....) to a larger local store to see what I could get for it. I'm talking to the sales rep, and sheer dumb luck I glance down. I was literally standing in front of a (slightly) used SS New Vaquero, 5.5" Barrel, in .357magnum. IMO if ever there was a sign I was meant to buy a specific firearm, THAT was it.

Needless to say I quickly negotiated a trade (best I got was an even trade, but I'll take it) and walked out with it. Absolutely GORGEOUS revolver. Next up is to get some leather for it. It's in fantastic shape...the fired cartridge that was included reads June 11, 2011, so it's just over a year old.
Old August 22, 2012, 05:03 AM   #7
Doc Hoy

Vireye

Welcome to the forum and congrats on the acquisition.

IdahoMike has posted photos of the work he has done on holsters and belts. Mighty nice stuff.

I think you can check the Stuff-for-sale thread at the top of this column to see a sweet rig he did up. Go back a coupla posts. You'll see it.

I think from the timing of your post, you must have been buying your Vaquero at exactly the same time I was handling a Ruger Redhawk in .45 Long Colt at the LGS. I don't care much for modern stuff (yet) but that is a super pistol.

Sooner or later someone is going to post, "Let us see some photos of the new revolver!" So.... Let us see some photos of the new revolver!
Old August 23, 2012, 08:18 AM   #8
twobit

Vireye,
If you will look here
http://www.blackpowderemporium.com/v...php?f=29&t=424

you will see my Mernickle holster. I cant find a picture of my Simply Rugged holster right now, but they are well made too.
Old August 24, 2012, 07:27 AM   #9
Vireye

Excellent looking holster. I've been looking at a few of the Mernickle SA Holsters, not sure if I want a plain black or spring for the carved...

I'll post up a few photos of my Vaquero when I get home from work later.
Old August 25, 2012, 01:22 PM   #10
DPris
Member Emeritus

If you want to stick around and discuss them correctly, neither gun you mention is an "SAA".
Single Action Army is a Colt model, and ONLY a Colt model.

An SA (Single Action) can include any make or model that fires in only single action mode.

We go to great lengths to make sure people don't call a magazine a clip, and the same should apply to an SAA. It's not a generic term.
Denis
Old August 25, 2012, 01:58 PM   #11
Beagle333

just sayin..

Quote:
If you want to stick around and discuss them correctly, neither gun you mention is an "SAA". . . . It's not a generic term.
And "gun" is?
Old August 25, 2012, 03:21 PM   #12
DPris
Member Emeritus

And point is?
Denis
Old August 25, 2012, 03:35 PM   #13
Hawg

They're all a generic term.
Old August 25, 2012, 03:44 PM   #14
DPris
Member Emeritus

Gun is generic for firearm, SAA is specific to Colt.
SAA is a trademark model still in active production by its original maker.

Using SAA as a generic term for any single action revolver is equivalent to saying any four-wheel drive vehicle is a Jeep.
Denis
Old August 25, 2012, 04:01 PM   #15
Hawg

Quote:
Using SAA as a generic term for any single action revolver is equivalent to saying any four-wheel drive vehicle is a Jeep.
And any soft drink is a Coke so what's your point?
Old August 25, 2012, 04:40 PM   #16
DPris
Member Emeritus

My point is that in any given "community" centered around a specific subject that has it's own body of terminolgy and language, communication is easier on everybody if standardized (and correct) terms and language are used.

You've seen how instant the reponses are to anybody who uses "clip" in place of "magazine", same principle here.

"I want a new SAA, which one should I get?"
To most of us, SAA means Colt because it IS a Colt, and when the poster turns out to be talking about Rugers, time's frequently wasted.

By your reasoning, any removable cartridge-holding device that fits inside a gun is a clip? We don't need to be specific?
They all do the same thing, who cares what we call it?

There's a good reason why different things have different names, it keeps communication simpler & clearer for everybody.

Otherwise, any revolver that looks anything like a Peacemaker is a Single Action Army (which Colt has driven one clone-maker into the ground over in protecting trade dress issues).
Any 9mm subgun is an UZI.
Any surplus boltgun is a Mauser.

And so on.

If you don't care about being correct in using model or brand names to describe what you're talking about, your business, I suppose.

When we're talking about specific features, specific models, and specific brands, it's not quite the same as "I'm gonna go get me a generic soda but I'm gonna call it a Coke, since it really don't matter to nobody anyway. I mean, it's ALL wet & sweet & fizzy anyway, right?"

You put Ford in a topic header, you get Ford people opening it up to read about something they're interested in or to participate in a Ford discussion.
You've wasted their time if the subject's really about Volkswagens.
Denis
Old August 25, 2012, 06:08 PM   #17
Hawg

A magazine is a clip, always was until some analistic word perfectioner deemed otherwise. Your argument is falling on deaf ears. I simply don't care. As long as folks know what I'm talking about (and they do) I'm happy.
Old August 25, 2012, 06:16 PM   #18
DPris
Member Emeritus

It was quite obvious you don't care.
Others do.
Denis
Old August 25, 2012, 06:18 PM   #19
sgms

Back on topic. I had the same problem. Ended up with all three now have 2 Uberties S.A. copies in picture birdshead is .357, square but is .45 colt, not pictured is a Ruger Super Black Hawk in .44 mag.. The Ruger is a great hunting gun while the others are just a whole lot of fun to shoot. So pick what you want, you'll probably end up owning all three eventually.
Don't mean to be nasty, but have to brag, there are also a pair of US marked SAA colts in the safe,one cavalry one artillery. These are safe queens and have been past down through the family.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg phpAFGTy2PM.jpg (74.3 KB, 24 views)
Old August 25, 2012, 06:37 PM   #20
Beagle333

Pictures rule!

sgms- them's pretty!!!!

Vireye - I wanna see a pic of your new SAA too!
I have been studying for a while on getting me one of them Vaqueros in .357
Old August 26, 2012, 09:03 AM   #21
Vireye

Old August 26, 2012, 09:34 AM   #22
Beagle333

Yup.... I want one!!!!!! Very nice!
Old August 29, 2012, 05:19 PM   #23
BerdanSS

There is no way in arctic frozen hell I would pick a Ruger over a Cimarron. I mean C'mon! the transfer bar just itself is pure single action wheel gun blasphemy That being said I own two

I love my 4 3/7 .45 Uberti. It's my current carry pistol and favorite fun-gun. But I would dearly love a Cimarron....or a USFA
Old August 29, 2012, 07:33 PM   #24
Hawg

Quote:
There is no way in arctic frozen hell I would pick a Ruger over a Cimarron. I mean C'mon! the transfer bar just itself is pure single action wheel gun blasphemy

I traded a Ruger Bisley straight up for a Uberti Cattleman and it wasn't even a Cimarron.