The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old April 21, 2010, 10:01 AM   #1
Pahoo

Input ?? Weatherby Vanguard trigger work

A friend of mine has asked me to assist him on the selection of an after market trigger for his Weatherby Vanguard 3006. Claims that the OEM trigger is just too heavy and feels he can do better. His primary use, will be punching paper but also wants to occasionally take it out to hunt. I have worked with Timney in the past but mostly on short actions and rimfires.

Questions:
What would you gentlement reconmmend??
What woud be a good setting for his use? I'm thinking 2.5LBS.

Now, I have another friend who is a Range-Master and fanatic about his center fire rifles. I know I could ask him but he is so darn opinionated and his way is the only way. I know I can get an objective view from you folks. ..

Be Safe !!!
Old April 21, 2010, 10:48 AM   #2
rickyjames

i have 3 weatherby vangards and they come with adjustable triggers from the factory. he should be able to adjust the trigger himself. i have no problems all of mine are light and crisp. there are aftermarket triggers available and someone may be able to recommend a good brand if he does want to change. i would probably have a gunsmith install if he changes triggers. all of mine shoot under MOA stock.
Old April 21, 2010, 10:50 AM   #3
Scorch

Either the Timney or Rifle Basix. Both are very solid trigers, both are adjustable, both cost about the same.

FWIW, a target version is available from Rifle Basix, adjustable to much lower levels than the Timney.
http://www.midwayusa.com/browse/Brow...445***11778***
Old April 21, 2010, 03:24 PM   #4
Pahoo

Fellas, don't forget to recommend a pull setting. As I said, I'm thinking about 2.5LBS. What do Y'all think?? .....

Be Safe !!!
Old April 21, 2010, 10:21 PM   #5
BruceM

The adjustable OEM triggers in the Vanguard are not the best and I actually could not adjust the trigger down below 4 lbs. in mine. I got a Timney when Midway USA had them on sale and all problems went away.

The weight of pull you may want depends on how you plan on using the gun. I carry my rifles in the field in Wisconsin during the firearms deer season in late November and my hunting area is 100 miles North of Green Bay. Temps can range from +60F to -25F. In view of that, I don't like anything lighter than 3 1/4 lbs. If you shoot from a blind or bench in warm weather, you can and probably will want to go lower.

Bruce
Old April 22, 2010, 07:47 AM   #6
rbernie

Quote:
i have 3 weatherby vangards and they come with adjustable triggers from the factory. he should be able to adjust the trigger himself.
The factory trigger cannot be adjusted to remove the creep *and* keep the safety functional. If you've adjusted it so that it feels as good as a Timney - the safety is inop and you really ought not carry it afield.

I prefer 3-4lb trigger pulls on all my rifles, because I expect to have to carry them afield and shoot offhand. Bench shooters can get away with 2lb triggers.
Old April 22, 2010, 06:37 PM   #7
jglenn

vanguard trigger

YES the trigger is fullyadjustable but sear engagement if taken too far normally will disable the safety.. not good

the good news is you can fix that if you are handy

the issue is that the safety is a sear block style so it blocks the sear from moving at a set point. the trick is to stone the front of the sear arm to help the safety block clear the arm and yet let you drop the sear engagement

my 257 Roy VG has an outstanding trigger

her's a basic how to from a smith

http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...ent-how-52584/

bookmark the link becuase this is the only real explanation on the web

enjoy
Old April 23, 2010, 12:03 PM   #8
Pahoo

Quote:
Now, I have another friend who is a Range-Master and fanatic about his center fire rifles. I know I could ask him but he is so darn opinionated and his way is the only way. I know I can get an objective view from you folks. ..
That is what I listed in my original post and not only did I get an objective view, I got more expert input that exceeded my expectations. My rifle buddy can't hold a candle to you guys. I truly appreciate all your fine input and now we can proceed with this new project. You guys make this a special forum

Be Safe !!!