The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old February 25, 2008, 02:58 PM   #1
thabear

Screw in chock tubes

Got one stuck in a shotgun I just bought. How do I get it out?
Old February 25, 2008, 03:29 PM   #2
Doyle

Suspend the muzzle in a can of kerosine for a few days. That should loosen it up. If that fails, you'll need to apply heat. Be careful with that though as you don't want to damage the barrel with a torch.

To prevent this in the future, use any good anti-sieze grease (spark plug anti-sieze stuff works just fine and is cheap).
Old February 25, 2008, 04:30 PM   #3
ronto

Try heating the BARREL with a candle...When you reinstall, coat the choke tube threads with anti-seize coumpound.
"We will do this: we will hang together, we will keep our organization, our arms, our discipline, our hatred of oppression, until one universal shout goes up from an admiring age that this Missouri Cavalry Division preferred exile to submission, death to dishonor".

General Joseph O. Shelby, CSA (1830-1897)

The only Confederate General who refused to surrender himself or his 1,000+ "Iron Brigade".
Old February 25, 2008, 06:06 PM   #4
RUT

Invert it in a container of "Kroil" overnight. It will come out like a breeze after that.
Old February 25, 2008, 06:07 PM   #5
BigJimP

Try some penetrating oil / WD 40 / Break Free etc and let it set for 15 min or so ( if its just crud that is making it stick ) - and use a choke tube wrench to get it out.

If you got it cross threaded - it'll be tougher to get it out / and you may have to do something to repair the threads. Just keep using some penetrating oil - and take your time getting it out.

A couple of notes - clean the chokes often / put them in with a liberal amount of break free - and whether they are flush with the end of the barrel or extended - put them in by hand. You do not need a wrench to tighten them up. Stick a finger inside the choke and snug it up / that's as tight as they need to be. They should go in and out just by putting a finger inside them and backing them out of the barrel.

If there is rust or some heavy crud in the threads inside the barrel / you'll have to get a brush in there ( a choke brush, or a good stiff toothbrush with some solvent on it will work ).
Old February 25, 2008, 06:12 PM   #6
copenhagen

+1 about finger tightening. I learned my lesson.

If you are paranoid about getting a flame near your barrel, you might try a hair dryer. I had much success using my wife's hair dryer on high for this application. That and a little WD-40, and she came right on out...
Old February 25, 2008, 10:01 PM   #7
MrApathy

+1 blow dryer or oil carefull about both
A repeat of history, That's how it goes