The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 25, 2000, 04:41 PM   #1
solo

I am trying to decide which dies to buy and can't make the decision. The dies will be used on a RCBS rock chunker press. I will be reloading .270 and 30-06 and cant decide on whether to get the RCBS 2 die sets or the Redding 2 die sets? Which is of better quality?
Old March 25, 2000, 08:33 PM   #2
Ricciardelli

You're going to find that those who own RCBS will tell you RCBS is better, and those who own Redding, Lee, etc. will tell you they are better.

Go to your local dealer and compare the two...you should see a difference in quality, thne pick which you believe is better.

As for getting a two-die set, don't stop there. Spend the few extra pennies and get the two-die full-length set, and also get a neck sizing die. I know you'll hear that you can do neck sizing by backing out the full length die, but it is always better to use the correct tool to do the best job.

Old March 25, 2000, 08:52 PM   #3
Southla1
Member In Memoriam

I agree that one will say that the one they own is the best . I have for over 35 years now used RCBS exclusivly but I know that others are good too. One thing that RCBS has going for it now is a lifetime warranty. No questions asked, just send it back and they make it good.

------------------
Carlyle
Old March 25, 2000, 11:23 PM   #4
Ankeny

I use both RCBS and Redding. Try flipping a coin. I do prefer the Redding Competition Benchrest seater though.
Old March 25, 2000, 11:50 PM   #5
AF Shooter

It's hard to go wrong with either set. I personaly use Lee dies, but with RCBS lock rings. Reloaders I know who use RCBS dies swear by them. Don't know anyone who uses the Reddings.

------------------
Tom Whitman
SSgt, USAF
Old March 26, 2000, 09:02 AM   #6
solo

Thanks for the replies. I think I might get the Redding Delux 3 Die set. I also might purchase the carbide size button kits for both calibers so I don't have to lube the bullets.
Old March 30, 2000, 11:25 PM   #7
alan

solo:

Used RCBS dies for years. Have yewt to have a discernable problem with them, though I could be missing something.

I've heard Redding dies are quite good too, haven't used them though. There are lots of dies from which to choose, and personally, I sometimes wonder as to how much difference there really is amongst them.