The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old June 27, 2011, 09:07 PM   #1
Yung.gunr

Mossberg 500 or ?

So I have decided my next purchase is going to be a shotgun. I wanted to get a pump just because that is what I am used to. My Dad has an old 12 ga Mossberg 500 that I have shot since I was a kid. So, I was thinking about getting a 12 Ga pump and so far I was looking at this nice combo that I saw at Big 5 a couple weeks ago. It was the 12 ga with a 28 in barrel and a 18.5 in barrel. It was under $300, but unfortunately I did not have that lying around to go get. Now I am REALLY wishing I had put it on the credit card because that seems like a steal.

Anyway, so are there any other 12 ga pumps that you think I should take a look at around $300? Please forgive my ignorance as I am new to shotguns.

I plan to shoot clay pigeons out in the desert and perhaps use it for hunting with slugs. A big reason I liked the combo was for the HD usage. That is another reason I liked the Mossberg, it was drilled and tapped already.
Old June 28, 2011, 01:25 PM   #2
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Other good pumps include the Winchester 12, 1200 and 1300, the Ithaca 37, and Remington's famed 870.

More 870s are out there than all the other pumps combined. Most have happy owners.

Still, the 500 has no flies on it. Those combos cover lots of bases and everyone needs a good pumpgun.

Before you buy,though, try out as many as you can find. One will speak to you more than the rest. Get that one.....
Old June 28, 2011, 08:12 PM   #3
Gehrhard

Yeah, that 500 combo is a steal, if I may say so. Reliability, capacity, ergonomics, value. Can't go wrong -- course that's just one Distinguished Expert's opinion though.

They also have more specifically hunting oriented combos that come with a smoothbore rifle-sighted 24" barrel (also OK'ish for HD) or a heavy rifled scoped sabot barrel instead of the 18-1/2" bead-sighted riot barrel. All these combos come with that great
  • up to 3"
  • twin-beaded
  • vent-rib
  • screw-in choke
  • ported
28" sport barrel.

Ooops! TMI?!
Old June 28, 2011, 08:30 PM   #4
zippy13

I suspect, if you have patience and wait, the Big-5 sale will be repeated. IINM, Big-5 has frequent sales on Remington 870s and Mossberg 500s. Just wait until they offer the configuration you're after. While waiting, try to get some trigger time with both the R-870 and M-500. Some ranges have them as loaner or rental guns.

IMHO, the prime difference between the M-500 and the R-870 is the location of the safety. Since I don't rely on safeties, I prefer the R-870 since its safety is less obtrusive. Also, if you want to use a stock with a detached pistol grip, the M-500's safety is awkward to operate.
Old June 29, 2011, 07:45 AM   #5
maierar

The Mossberg 500 has been around since before Moses had to shave. The used market is loaded with good ones at reasonable prices. Mossberg offers many barrels and barrel kits making this an extremely versatile gun. The "system" pictured includes a bird gun (which works well enough for single shot clays. There are those who can shoot doubles with a pump, but I'm not one of them.), a small game/HD gun (18 inch barrel) and a large game gun (rifled slug barrel with zoom scope). The whole system was put together for ~$600.
Old June 29, 2011, 07:48 AM   #6
Slugo

excellent choice! Long love the Mossy 500...
Old June 29, 2011, 02:50 PM   #7
Cary

Be aware that some of those Mossberg combo packages offered at Big 5 do not have a barrel set up for the screw in chokes. I was surprised to find this out but it is a fact. If you want that feature make sure and check the gun before you buy it.
Cary
Old June 29, 2011, 04:33 PM   #8
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

To make sure you are getting aMossberg with choke threads, look for the "Accu-Choke" term.

Mossberg is the only shotgun I need...

But the 500 hasn't been around since before moses was shaving...

It is a 50 year old design though.

Brent
Old June 29, 2011, 06:42 PM   #9
maierar

50 years is close enough. Proven design and lots of them around.
Old June 29, 2011, 06:46 PM   #10
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Yes they are a truly proven platform!

Brent
Old June 30, 2011, 12:55 AM   #11
TheKlawMan

I am still getting familiar with my 870 from Big 5 and have no personal knowledge of the Mossberg 500, except that most owners are happy with them.

As for the Big 5 special, while I believe they will sometimes offer a different package, the one you are talking about is probably on sale once a month. Do NOT rely on what any Big 5 sales clerk says. I have never seen a 28" barrel that took screw in chokes to be included in the combination package. It comes with a fixed modified choke. The other primary difference between them and a standard Mossberg 500 is the action slide. The standard slide consists of two main pieces ( a metal tube with action bars welded to it and fore arm held on by a nute). I understand that on Big 5 special uses a Marverick action slide (Maverick is a Mossberg company) that has the two action bars molded into the fore arm. Some people say it rattles more then the standard and some don't care. I think the choke is the big issue.
Old June 30, 2011, 07:53 AM   #12
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Quote:
I have never seen a 28" barrel that took screw in chokes to be included in the combination package.
Look at Bud's guns dot com for the best info... You will find most are in fact threaded... They come with only one choke tube usually and it will be a MOD.
Here is what you are lookin' for...
Quote:
Mossberg 54264 500 COMBO 12 28AC/24RSRB
The "AC" in "28AC" denotes it is an "Accu-Choke" threaded barrel.

Brent
Old June 30, 2011, 08:07 AM   #13
TheNatureBoy

The Mossberg 500 12 ga. shotgun is awsome. You can probably pick one up for less than $300 with a slug barrel. I owned one and used a modified choke with #1s and 00's with awsome reslults. Last hunting season a hunting buddy made me a offer I couldn't refuse for it. I intend to pick up another one before the next season rolls around.
Old June 30, 2011, 09:46 AM   #14
Deerhunter

Look at the Remington 870. I own both. My parents bought me a 500 when I was 13. I shot it a lot until I got older. Then I realized that I liked the Remington 870s better. I wanted something in synthetic and I likes the chokes. After looking at the 870 that is what I bought myself for my second shotgun. The 500 has been in the cabinet since, over 16 years now.

I like the trigger group on the 870 a lot better also. The 500 trigger group is almost all plastic.

Good luck
Old June 30, 2011, 02:27 PM   #15
Yung.gunr

Ok time to show my ignorance

Ok so I understand the idea with the chokes on the shotgun are to control the spread of the shot (at least I think I understand that). But, I don't understand when you would use this and with what kind of ammo. An explanation or a link to a good explanation would be great. I don't really want to just google it because I would like to know which info you guys agree with (theory v practical knowledge).

Thanks for your help in getting me into shotgunning.
Old June 30, 2011, 05:21 PM   #16
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Choke selection is based on range you will be shooting. For a close in tight cover hunt for rabbit, squirrel or birds, A cylinder (no constriction) or modified cylinder (very little constriction) will reduce meat destruction while offering a bit more spread in case you are off a tiny bit.

If you will be shotting at critters "out yonder a far piece" then the tighter chokes make more shot stay in a critter size pattern.

For Turkey, the norm is about as far as a shotgun is used for hunting. So they prefer to use a full, X-full to even tighter such as a XX-full. These will have catchy names like "turkey reaper" or some such.

So basically... little choke is wanted for 0-10 or 15 yards... Full for 40 or more yards...

All this is in a nutshell and my experience and your mileage may vary.

Brent
Old July 1, 2011, 08:16 AM   #17
bitttorrrent

thanks, i am new to shotguns as i am going to get one for my summer house up in the woods in mi.

this explains the choke pretty well, as i did not recall the reasons for etc.