The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old June 19, 2010, 07:36 AM   #1
daisey53

Stick On Rear Sight For Remington 870?

I've had my 12 gauge Remington 870 for a few years now and last week tried some of the Federal True Ball slugs shooting at some paper plates at about 85yards. I am amazed at the accuracy of these slugs but find that because of the way my cheek rests on the stock I shoot slightly to the left. This is a vented barrel with the round ball type sight at the front. I do not plan on buying a new barrel with sights at both ends just to shoot an occassional slug so I was wondering, does anyone make a temporary rear dot that is self sticking for my situation? I know this may sound silly but it would keep me from shooting slightly to the left on those rare occassions I shoot the slugs.
Thanks...
Old June 19, 2010, 08:04 AM   #2
jmr40

They are fiber optic sights made for turkey hunting that will clamp onto the vent rib. They have different setups but most will have a single front sight and 2 dots on the rear sight. They work just like dot sights on a pistol.

I had an extra barrel that I cut down to 21" several years ago and tried them just to see how it would work. I was surprised, but they worked just fine. With mine slugs are a 2-3" higher than my point of aim at 50 yards, but right on the money at 100. Of course there is no adjustment, but that is close enough for me. Off hand I don't remember the cost, but it seems like it was $10-$15.