The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old December 10, 2009, 10:15 PM   #26
arcticap

Check out the definitions for toy in some of the slang dictionaries if you can handle the X rated humor.

Some of the mellowest ones are:

Quote:
1. an underpowered device, machine, etc

http://onlineslangdictionary.com/browse/t/page35
Quote:
2. An object that makes you happy.

3. Stupid, to be played with.

Derived from the futuristic world of Haddyn (Manhattan) in the Dark Horse graphic novel Fray, created by Joss Whedon (most famous for Buffy the Vampire Slayer)

Also heard as (more mainstream) 'Don't toy with me.'
'This is toy!!'

as a replacement of

'This is a game!!'

4. A male who often flirts and receives return flirts from good looking female art teachers.
"Dude, Will's flirting with the teacher"
"He's Such a toy!"

5.Used to desribe someone as an ameteur or new to something. Can also mean uncool in general. Not good at any sort of hip hop-ish thing like spitting or graffiti etc. Someone that tries to hard at something they only do to look cool.
-He is a toy man, he's so crap at spitting
-He's toy at writing boy.

6. A piece, a gat, a gun, a grip, a shotty, a spitter, a firearm, etc.
-"Gripping on a toy that you won't find at KB (read: KB Toys)" Fabolous

-"Eyo shorty gimme that toy I'mma straighten this **** out when he come out the bodeg."

7. a toy is someone you just hook-up with not a relationship kinda of a friend with benefits. One can have many toys
Whoa, Kevin you have so many toys in your phone book that it's just awesome.

8. 1. a gun
2. A complex arrangement of metal parts that is capable of discharging a lead peice at very high speeds, high enough to penetrate fleash and thin slabs of wood. Serves as humankind's (so far) permanent replacement for spears, staffs, swords, daggars, etc. as most effective weapons. Most commonly used for self-defense, murder, killing hostiles, recreational shooting, the standard issue weapons for armies, militias.

toys are in the hood

9. a toy is the same as a gun
"i sleep with a toy cause i dont trust no mother***** body boy im a cutthroat" -Mac Dre rip

10. to mess with a persons feelings
You better not toy with me.

11. 1. someone that squeaks when you hug dem
2. your plaything
she's my toy

12. a person who is a little on the joker side....a fool or a just a stupid ****
Jac Randal

13. something that is crap or **** ... used by coasties in OZ
that was so toy... next time get da good ****

http://www.urbandictionary.com/defin...erm=toy&page=2

Last edited by arcticap; December 10, 2009 at 10:21 PM.
Old December 10, 2009, 11:56 PM   #27
Newton24b

ironically the largst demographic of people who live on slang, and devote their tiem and effort to creating more complicated ways to say something simple, are the demographic most likely to flunk out of school because they arent 'able" to apply themselves in school from sheer laziness.
Old December 11, 2009, 02:09 AM   #28
davem

Well, not to be controversial BUT..... who goes around saying a cap and ball revolver is a toy? I've never heard that? And, I do a lot of shooting. It is true that there have been a few crimes involving a cap and ball revolver but I believe there have probably been more screwdrivers, hammers, etc used in crimes than a C & B revolver. I think we have to ask ourselves why regular, modern handguns are regulated to the degree they are- probably because they are often the weapon of choice for the bad guys. That's not true with the C & B revolver- it is a non-issue. I am sure if they ever begin showing up in crimes to any measurable extent then things will change pronto. Right now to regulate them would be a lot of fuss and trouble for nothing.
One good aspect of all this is that although having only 5 or 6 shots is not very attractive for robbing a bank- 5 or 6 shots is still pretty good in a defensive situation to save your life, so- for now at least- I hope the Pols leave well enough alone. "Don't fix what aint broke"
Old December 11, 2009, 02:43 AM   #29
SigP6Carry

Newton, the concept of "slang" isn't just uneducated people being ignorant. Think about words like Soda vs. Pop before blanket statementing demographics who speak differently from yourself.

And there was a thread on here not too long ago asking to "see your toys" about blackpowder, but I've never seen any other guns refered to as toys on the forum, that's example A.
Old December 11, 2009, 04:40 AM   #30
FL-Flinter

Wow ... some of y'all just need to lighten up a little.

As it applies within the gun world, there are two definitions of "toy".
1- Positive as it applies to something liked.
"I picked up a new toy at the gunshop on the way home from work today."

2- Negative as it applies to something of lesser value that is most often rooted in ignorance.
"C&B? That's just a toy. Check out my snazzy new mega-magnum tactical..."

Now, for those of you who wish to take things litterally ... would you consider this a "new toy" or a "potential vehicular homicide machine"? Before you answer, take into account that it's 535Hp w/ up to 400Hp Nitrous Oxide boost. (yes, it's available to be someone's new toy)

This swivel vise is a new "toy" for me to use for horn work ... how would it be classified if not as a "new toy"?

Old December 11, 2009, 05:23 AM   #31
Rangefinder

Granted, I didn't YET go through all the posts, though I intend to when it isn't 3AM... BUT, my take on it is this: My Hobbies are the things that do not fall into the category of work, chores, necessary "do" things... The things that make up my hobbies are my "toys". Another hobby besides shooting is armored combat (medieval style with live steel). I own many edged weapons besides all the ones I use in combat--most of which are hundreds of years old and are very much proven weapons of their day. These are also my "toys". I play with them, I get pleasure from them. It's really that simple. Are they all deadly weapons? Yup---depending upon HOW I play with them and why. But I still call them my toys...

Guns only have two enemies: Rust and Politicians.
Old December 11, 2009, 06:11 AM   #32
FL-Flinter

Quote:
Another hobby besides shooting is armored combat (medieval style with live steel). I own many edged weapons besides all the ones I use in combat--most of which are hundreds of years old and are very much proven weapons of their day.
Pictures required!
Old December 11, 2009, 06:51 AM   #33
Springfield Kid

Thats right we need a pic , dont Toy with us .
Old December 11, 2009, 11:20 AM   #34
madcratebuilder

He who dies with the most toys wins.

For most men, toys can be fire arms, cars, airplanes, motocylcles, or anything that is not needed for normal life.

Last edited by madcratebuilder; December 13, 2009 at 11:34 AM.
Old December 11, 2009, 01:54 PM   #35
Rangefinder

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T29JlzeveIY

All right, this isn't mine by any means---but it IS a much better example than any of the photos I have. Can't seem to get it to embed directly, though, so just follow the link.

And I found another from TV coverage on CBS News a while back---pretty good also. That should give you a pretty fair idea what kind of other "toys" I play with

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8vljdsfphks

Last edited by Rangefinder; December 11, 2009 at 02:23 PM.
Old December 12, 2009, 03:39 AM   #36
Rangefinder

Also, since we're showing off... Here is my other toy...

Old December 12, 2009, 07:49 AM   #37
FL-Flinter

Rangefinder,

That dude with the crossbow in the first clip looked like he was about to get serious.

How's about some pic's of the weapons too?
Old December 13, 2009, 01:17 AM   #38
Rangefinder

Quote:
How's about some pic's of the weapons too?
Sure enough--gotta go through and update some photos for insurance purposes anyway, so I'll throw some up on here in a day or two.