The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old October 26, 2010, 11:41 AM   #1
USAMPDUFFY

New Member, Weapon Question

First of all I'm going to introduce myself.

I'm a 19 y/o Army Reservist MP. I'm not really familiar with any weapons other than those I have been issued or that I own. Just putting it out there I love the Beretta M9 . . . jus sayin.

Anyways, I own a Beretta M96, which from what I can tell is the M9's clone to the "t", breakdown is exactly the same and everything, only a .40 version.

I was just curious if these are as readily available as the regular M9.
here are some pictures if you're interested. breakdown and all.

Old October 26, 2010, 12:05 PM   #2
AustinTX

From one M9-lover to another, welcome to TFL!

Quote:
I was just curious if these are as readily available as the regular M9.
The older versions, such as the one you have, are no longer produced. Yours was made sometime between 1990 and 1996; production of the 96 continued until 2006.

Beretta continued to offer .40 as an option in the controversially-styled "90Two" pistol, and earlier this year they released the 96A1 along with the 92A1 as the latest generation of the 92 series guns.
Old October 26, 2010, 12:22 PM   #3
pgdion

Welcome to this great forum! I love the Berettas too, my 92FS is my favorite gun.

The M9 crosses to the 92FS which is the 9mm version of this gun. The 96 is the exact same gun but chambered in .40sw. I believe that would cross back to the M96. The A1 is an updated version of both guns and adds an accessory rail below the barrel.

All straight forward except, the model Ninety-Two muddies the water, it's available in either 9mm or .40sw (don't know why they didn't do a Ninety-Six???)

Incidentally, I just saw a 96A1 in INOX with black grips and WOW! is all I can say. It was $700, but it is at the top of my wish list!
Old October 26, 2010, 12:46 PM   #4
BigJimP

Welcome to the forum ....

I have no idea on your question...I'm not a Beretta fan / don't know much about them in terms of model specifics. I'm more of a 1911 guy / or Sig's ...
Old October 26, 2010, 01:21 PM   #5
msmith18

I hope you enjoy these forums as much as I do. I, too, am a Beretta fan. I have three 92s and two 96s as well as a 90-Two that I shoot as regularly as ammo costs allow. There are lots of more expensive guns out there but my Berettas serve me well and have been very dependable while I have owned them.

Mike