The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 30, 2002, 06:25 PM   #1
LarsG17

Questions on getting set up?

I want to start hand loading. I haven't done it for about 10 years. I'll mostly be reloading for IPSC pistol compition. The local gun stores push Dillon, but I don't know if that is the best way to go. Any advise would be very helpfull. Thanks.
Old November 30, 2002, 07:20 PM   #2
labgrade
Member In Memoriam

Never used anything else but a Dillon for progressives. Excellent results with only pistol calibers so far.

A search in TFL's handloading on "progressive" reveals about a gig's worth of results

Oughta getcha started.
Old December 1, 2002, 08:18 AM   #3
clown714

can't go wrong with a dillon.

i started with a SD,then upgraded to a B(free parts)

then went to a 650 for rifles.

i never looked back

clown
Old December 1, 2002, 12:20 PM   #4
LarsG17

If I get a Dillon, should I get the 550B or the XL650?
Old December 1, 2002, 01:34 PM   #5
mcrog

GETTING STARTED 550B

mY 2CT.S WORTH.
I SHOOT IPSC ALSO AND I SHOOT ALL DIVISIONS .I ALSO LOAD ALL MY LOADS ON MY 550 B COULDN'T BE HAPPYER
REGARDS
Old December 1, 2002, 02:37 PM   #6
Kimber Kid

My SDB works great but it won't do rifle, FYI.
Old December 1, 2002, 11:50 PM   #7
swifter...

For pistol, Dillon. I near wore out a 450 before upgrading to 550, and it works really well. I don't load rifle on it, though, there are several things I dislike about that, but for pistol its the best thing going.
Tom
Old December 2, 2002, 09:36 AM   #8
LarsG17

On Dillions web sight it says that the square deal is all ready set up for one caliber. I'll only be reloading for .45 right now. It seems that would be the simplest way to go right now. I do own a FAL and plan on getting an AR in the future. I don't konw if a FAL can shoot better than surpluss ammo. So I don't see the point in reloading for it.
Old December 3, 2002, 05:57 AM   #9
LAH

The Square Deal is a very simple machine. I have a 45 ACP conversion for one and this caliber is easy to load. The short cases sizing easy and the auto index makes double charging less likely. You can't do rifle ammo with this press but for the hobbie loader it's great for the short 45.
Old December 3, 2002, 02:09 PM   #10
AZ Jeff

If you plan to reload only one pistol caliber, then the Dillon Square Deal is perfect. It has features that the Dillion 550 does not have (like auto indexing), so it's a benefit in some ways. I have used a SD since 1986, and it's done yeoman service. (Finally had to send it back to Dillon for overhaul in about 1999, as I had worn it out pretty much shooting IPSC. Came back good as new, totally free of charge, of course.)

For rifle, you will need a 550 or bigger. However, since rifle usually requires case trimming (and that cannot be done on the 550), that means you need to either step up to a more expensive model of Dillon, and buy the Dillon power case trimmer, which is some big bucks investment. Instead, you can just do like I do:

Run the rifle brass in the 550, and treat it like a single stage press. I resize/decap, then trim to length OFF the press. I charge off the press, and then manually seat/crimp back on the 550. I get good loads for High Power rifle this way
Old December 3, 2002, 04:55 PM   #11
Shoney

I’ve loaded tens of thousands of rounds on a friends dillon 550 for years and several thousands on another friends 650. Dillon makes a very good machine. However, when my daughter and son began to burn ammo, I needed a progressive. After one session on a Hornady Lock-N-Load AP there was no question in my mind that it was a better machine.

With the innovative ideas of the Hornady, I find it to have several advantages over the dillon for my loading needs. The fact that it is also significantly less in price had nothing to do with my choice of the Hornady L-N-L, but it was an added bonus.

Try loading on several machines before you buy.

Best, Shoney
I pledge allegiance to the Flag - - -, and to the Republic for which it stands….Our Forefathers were brilliant for giving us a Republic, not a democracy! Do you know the difference??? and WHY?http://www.wallbuilders.com/LIBissue...les.asp?id=111
Old December 4, 2002, 11:34 AM   #12
moredes

Hornady LNL

I agree with Shoney. The Dillon 550 are great for banging out tons of junk ammo for pistol, but it's dreadful for competition rifle loads, and quite a bit more expensive (i.e., around a couple hundred dollars) if you're going to set it up to quick-change for two or three calibers. Also, the LNL has an extra station, which allows all kinds of options. The Hornady powder measure skins the Dillon; just check this forum for the numerous threads for questions about getting the Dillon powder measure to drop consistently.
Old December 4, 2002, 11:15 PM   #13
blades67

I have a used Dillon RL550B that I got in a trade with a local TFL member. I took it to the Dillon shop to have it looked over before I started using it. They replaced the primer bar return spring (I was given a replacement spring in the trade, but I don't recall how he said it got buggered up in the first place.) as I had asked. They also replaced a few other items that I hadn't asked about, including the powder measure tube because it was "discolored" from use. They also set it up and adjusted the 10mm dies that were in with the press, even though I hadn't asked them to do that either, before packing it up again.

I haven't had any trouble with the press or the powder measure in the year and half or so that I've had it.

Anybody that says you can't assemble quality competition rifle loads on an RL550B either hasn't tried it, or was using the wrong technique. I've had excellent results with my .223 Rem. and .308 Win loads myself.

The U.S. Palma team use an RL550B to make their match ammo. I'll take their word over an unknown Internet user any day and you can too.

I hunt, therefore I am.