The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old February 5, 2015, 04:08 PM   #1
327 FM

Another GP100 or 686 thread

Would you guys rather have a 3" GP100 with fixed sights, or a 3" 686 plus for a carry weapon?

I love having nothing to snag with GP100, but the 686 plus provides a seventh round.

Thank you for your opinions.
Old February 5, 2015, 04:56 PM   #2
Roughedge

Its all about what fits your hand better. I shoot my 686 better than the GP100 but I shoot it a lot more. Chances are if you cant hit your target with 6 you probably wont hit it with the seventh.
Old February 5, 2015, 05:12 PM   #3
stormyone

I like the lockup and cylinder release on the Ruger better.
Old February 5, 2015, 05:16 PM   #4
Guv

Either, the one that felt best and pleased my eye the most, not enough differance between them.
Old February 5, 2015, 05:19 PM   #5
Model12Win

That's a tough one... but I think I'd lean towards the S&W. The 7th round counts for something.
Old February 5, 2015, 05:27 PM   #6
testuser79

If this were for the woods, then it would be a tie for me.

For self defense, no contest, I'll take 7 rounds. Also, the Smith has more options for night sights and better overall aftermarket support.
Old February 5, 2015, 07:42 PM   #7
Dragline45

Unless you can find a pre-lock I would go with the Ruger. I love S&W revolvers, but they wont see a dime from me until they do away with the locks.
Old February 5, 2015, 08:17 PM   #8
TMD

Quote:
I love having nothing to snag with GP100, but the 686 plus provides a seventh round.

And my 627 holds 8 rounds

Quote:
Unless you can find a pre-lock I would go with the Ruger. I love S&W revolvers, but they wont see a dime from me until they do away with the locks.
The 686Plus was introduced the same year as the IL and sadly its the only way they make them.
Old February 5, 2015, 08:25 PM   #9
Kreyzhorse

I prefer the 686 but in this case, I'd take the GP as I don't care for the look of a 7 round cylinders.

Overall, both guns are so damn good, pick the one that fits you the best. You can't go wrong with either.
Old February 5, 2015, 08:41 PM   #10
MrBorland

I prefer a 6-shot myself. The trade-off with that extra 7th round is good speedloader options. If I want more than 6, I go to an 8-shot N-frame, where I also have the option of moons. I've never seen the justification for a 7-shot, myself. YMMV.
Old February 5, 2015, 08:49 PM   #11
PhantomI

Choices

Handle them both and check the triggers, sights and grips. I think you will find one or the other will feel better and fit better for you. I did the same and picked one of the two revolvers you are thinking about. My choice is mine, yours is up to you. Good luck!

Tom
Old February 5, 2015, 09:02 PM   #12
cslinger

686 pluses are indeed available pre lock. I have a 2.5 inch in the safe.

I say 686 as it should feel a bit lighter and give an extra round. I love gp100s though.
Old February 6, 2015, 07:40 AM   #13
45_auto

Can't go wrong with either one. Ford or Chevy. Personal preference.
Old February 6, 2015, 06:41 PM   #14
Waspinator

I prefer Ruger myself (carry a SP101 daily). If I was looking between the 686 and GP100, I would probably go with the WC version of the GP100 for the smoothed over frame and the Novak sights and slimmer Lett style grips.

http://www.ruger.com/products/gp100D...eets/1753.html

Old February 6, 2015, 06:54 PM   #15
Nick_C_S

I'm certainly not taking anything from the GP100. It's a great revolver. But my all-time favorite gun to carry - the one I am most comfortable with, is my 3" bbl 686+. I saw it at my LGS a couple years ago (at the height of the gun buying panic, no less). I had some extra time, so I asked to take a look at it. Yeah, that was a mistake The second it hit my hands, it was sold. Loved the balance and how it felt in my hand. Total impulse buy that I never regretted.

[IMG][/IMG]
Old February 6, 2015, 07:20 PM   #16
dgludwig

[QUOTE] The 7th round counts for something.

Sure it does (or might). I see no downside to having a seventh round aboard. I've shot the Models 686 and 686 "Plus" extensively over the last few years and I cannot discern any significant difference in the trigger pulls between these two fine revolvers. I will make the point, though, that if you ever need that extra round, you probably really need it...
Old February 6, 2015, 07:55 PM   #17
RaySendero

Quote:
Waspinator posted

I prefer Ruger myself (carry a SP101 daily).
Wasp, I really like the looks of that Ruger you posted!!!

Last edited by RaySendero; February 6, 2015 at 08:39 PM.
Old February 6, 2015, 08:02 PM   #18
Woodsman60

I think it might boil down to whether or not you want adjustable sights or not.
Old February 7, 2015, 09:06 AM   #19
GP100man

Shot both , ALOT , kept the Rugers.

Older now & hands hurt a bit from monkeying wrenches .

I know they`re both heavy med framed revolvers But the wrap around grips really help my hands if I go more than 50rnds at the range.

As far as round count/sites/holster style/trigger weather smooth or grooved/hammer bobbed or spurred/grips . THIS is all personal preference.

My suggestion is if your not sure of which 1 to purchase find a range that rents firearms & go shoot as many variants of each brand ya can.

Now my biased opinion.

I`ve shot everything that haves a cyl & 357magnum on the side of it !

S&W side screws always backed out after the initial removal , good short stroked triggers that stack O can be obtained , this has been engineered into S&W design (they changed numerous times)

Rugers are solid cast frames(so are smiths)& have only 3 screw ,grip/sit elevation/windage.

The triggers on Rugers can also be made to be VERY smooth & I like a slight stack in the trigger & this is inherient in the Ruger design as it`s a bit longer than the S&W design.

Had Colts also .

If shot a lot the hand needed regular chiropractic stretching which wasn't bad to do just different as the Colt DA platforms rotate clockwise.

My advise to the consideration of a Colt DA purchase especially if ya gonna shoot it ALOT, find you a smith that can work on it .

The Dan Wesson 15-V is nuttin but a workhorse revolver that was made to shoot. the reason the changeable barrel never caught on & flew was the sheer sise & "clunkiness/clumsiness" for betterwords the DW is not for speed shooting or semi concealment. The ability to change/adjust barrels wound up being a passing fad & it was nice to have it as an option as the DW is a fine range gun , big heavy/ little recoil with full loads (especially with the long barrel)& the DW has a following to this day as CZ revives the model 15 & I hope it surpasses it`s former glory.

I owned a DW pistol pack, both grips with buckle. Enjoyed it a bit , in my opinion the whole thing was 2 notches to large.

Go with the Ruger.

GP

Last edited by GP100man; February 7, 2015 at 09:48 AM.
Old February 7, 2015, 10:30 AM   #20
testuser79

Quote:
I know they`re both heavy med framed revolvers But the wrap around grips really help my hands if I go more than 50rnds at the range.
I've left this way in the past, but I have to admit, Pachmayr has some good solutions. The newest is the Diamond Pro, love this single piece design on my 627 and may have to get one for the 686.

http://www.pachmayr.com/home/diamondpro.php

Quote:
The trade-off with that extra 7th round is good speedloader options.
A friend mentioned that to me, recently. Off the top of my head, Safariland and speed strips aren't available. Otherwise, HKS, Maxfire, 5-star loaders and moonclips are available.

I have an 8-shot 627 and it has the same limitations. The L-frame is easier to conceal, though, so I was thinking about having it cut for moonclips.
Old February 7, 2015, 10:43 AM   #21
Rogervzv

I have two GP100s (6" and 4" half-lug) and one S&W 686 4".

You won't go wrong with either the Ruger or the Smith.

The new Rugers are beautifully made. The days when the Smith 686 was "more refined" are no more.

The Smith has the best single action trigger imaginable. The Ruger's is good; the Smith's is better.

The Ruger DA trigger has a distinct second stage which makes shooting it DA a breeze, at least for me. I had a trigger job done on my 6" gun and it is my best shooting DA revolver.

The Smith's DA trigger is single stage and snappy. It all boils down to preference as to which DA trigger is better.

My $.015.
Old February 7, 2015, 05:39 PM   #22
Elerius

I like to carry something uncommon or rare. What I'd actually like is to find an ultra rare pre-lock 586 with a 3 inch barrel and then have Smith fit it with the 7 round cylinder from the current ported 586 and retime it. It would be one-of-a-kind, the same as the 686 but with that beautiful mirror blue finish. Grail gun right there.
Old February 7, 2015, 07:09 PM   #23
olddav

You said concealed carry, so I would go with the 686. Few things are more useless to you than ammo you don't have.