The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old April 6, 2009, 12:07 PM   #1
Hmac58

Want to start with a HD shotgun and will probably hunt too

I don't own any guns currently. I've only fired a gun a couple of times in my life. Few things and then on to my questions...

I know how I am - once I get a HD shotgun and start practicing with it I'll most likely enjoy it and will likely get interested in hunting as well.

I'm 34 years old, grew up in Kansas City and currently live in southwest Missouri. I grew up bass fishing with my dad and have brothers that hunt (I'm not very close to them) but I never got in to hunting myself. I love the outdoors and would probably enjoy it though. I don't bass fish on lakes much anymore but I do alot of smallmouth and trout fishing.

I know zilch about guns. I have plenty of friends with guns and I'll be talking to them to learn as well.

For a HD shotgun I've decided on a Remington 870 or a Mossberg 500 (maybe a 590?).

If I get interested in hunting - would I be better off to a buy a 2nd gun for the specific use or would my HD gun be able to serve both purposes? Specifically I think boar hunting would be fun!

What kind of classes/training should I get? This isn't an area I want to skimp on - being safe and smart is very important to me.

Places I'd considered contacting for classes - sheriff's office, Bass Pro Shop, Conservation Dept, local ranges

What things am I not considering or thinking of? Any resources or links for me to look at?
Old April 6, 2009, 12:17 PM   #2
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Rem 870 or Moss 500 are fine choices. The Moss gets my vote for ergonomics and being a family run company making venerable durable guns at low cost. Barrels are available for about any type of shooting you will want to do for both. Mossberg barrels generally do not cost as much as Remington barrels. The 590 with higher capacity is much limited in available barrel variety.
Old April 6, 2009, 12:21 PM   #3
ar15chase

Both good guns. But I would go with the Mossberg also. If you want it for hunting and HD you can buy a 18 inch barrel for about $80 for the HD part of it. And when you want to go hunting put the barrel it came with back on it. They are very simple to change back ond forth. That is exactly what I did when I got my Mossberg model 88.
As far as training goes. Talk to the local rangemaster. I am sure he or she could point you in the right direction. Some of them are even nice enough to take out their spare time to help teach the novice gun owners.
Old April 6, 2009, 12:53 PM   #4
WagonM

Here's my purchase experience:

* bought a 870 Express 18" HD (happy with it). $330
* bought a USED 26" barrel for trap and (possible) hunting birds. $150
* (extra spents on 12" LOP stock, bags, saddle carrier, etc.. are irrelevant to this discussion ... )

If I'd do it again:

* buy a 26"/28" 870 or 500 or Maverick from Walmart. $250-ish
* buy an extra 18" barrel for HD (used are <$100. NEW are low $100)

I coulda saved >$100 and spent on ammo....

Happy shopping.
Old April 6, 2009, 12:57 PM   #5
oneounceload

If you don't know zilch about guns as you say, then go take a firearms safety course - first.

Second, read, read, read......all the web sites, manufacturer's web site, forums, etc.

Third, go to a gun club where you can rent/borrow several types of guns and try them out - even consider getting a lesson

Fourth - evaluate all that data and experience and then buy the gun that seems to be right for YOU.
Old April 7, 2009, 10:51 AM   #6
lmccrock

For me, the difference between 870 and Mossberg platforms is the location of the safety. Mossberg's safety is on the back of the receiver; 870 by the trigger. I have a 590 and it is great, but it does not have as many accessories, and I am not sure if 500 barrels drop in (something about where the mag tube sits). So the buy-one-gun-and-extra-barrel plan might not work.

There are different kinds of classes. Take a basic handling class before thinking about a defensive class. Hopefully someone in your area will chime in with good classes for you.

Lee