The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old September 15, 2016, 11:27 PM   #1
Pops1085

Breakfree CLP, are petroleum distillates a carcinogen?

So before I get started, I am aware that there are more concerning things than wondering if your gun cleaner causes cancer but that doesn't make me think we should not talk about the small things.

Anyways, I've been looking up various gun cleaners, particularly Breakfree CLP and I can't really find anything regarding it's carcinogenicity. The only references to it are various posts on forums mentioning that it contains petroleum distillates and that those cause cancer. However, upon some brief research I can't find anything that says that petroleum distillates are carcinogens.

So what gives? Can anybody actually provide a source that says PD's cause cancer or is this a bit of a "I heard it talking to a guy at work" situation?

The obvious answer to this whole problem is wearing gloves but that's not what I'm interested in, more of just the knowledge.
Old September 15, 2016, 11:52 PM   #2
BarryLee

Maybe the MSDS will help: http://www.sinclairintl.com/userdocs...6I_default.pdf
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old September 16, 2016, 12:36 AM   #3
Chaz88

Quote:
contains petroleum distillates
That is an incredibly large category. It contains everything from the most volatile alcohols to asphalt. Yes, some of them are carcinogens but most that you run into are not that bad unless you have long term chronic exposure.

No spelun and grammar is not my specialty. So please don't hurt my sensitive little feelings by teasing me about it.
Old September 16, 2016, 07:19 AM   #4
FlyFish

Page 9 of the MSDS indicates that none of the ingredients is on the California Proposition 65 list of carcinogens, and Page 10 further indicates that none is on the EPA, IARC, or NIOSH lists. Those lists include many substances that we all come into contact with every day, so Breakfree CLP must be pretty innocuous stuff.
Old September 16, 2016, 11:36 AM   #5
JWT

Perhaps I should, but the total exposure I have to the various gun cleaners is not that significant over time. I've never considered it, and likely will not. I'm not inclined to get too upset over California and their 'interesting' laws.

No offense meant to the OP.
Old September 16, 2016, 12:29 PM   #6
Pops1085

Absolutely none taken. The reason I ask is mainly because I know so little about chemistry and have no background in which I would generally read a MSDS. I know it's not a big deal. I am just curious as to which gun cleaning products are "non-toxic" and really how toxic are the others. My grandfather used to splash gasoline on his hands to get the grease and oil off of them after working in the shop, and we know how bad that is for you. He lived until he was 90 years old.
Old September 16, 2016, 04:09 PM   #7
Eazyeach

Lol. That made me think of my grandad. He used gasoline to wash paint off his hands. He's 85. Don't try this at home!!
Old September 16, 2016, 06:31 PM   #8
burrhead

When I was a little boy growing up on the Gulf Coast, the grown-ups would slather us down with gasoline to keep the skeeters off. Roll that around in your head a bit, not so much for the toxicity but the flammability. Of course we also use to run behind the DDT truck.

I'm offended by people that are easily offended.
Old September 16, 2016, 06:41 PM   #9
TXAZ

Only in the state of california is it carcinogenic. It's safe everywhere else.

Cave illos in guns et backhoes
Old September 16, 2016, 07:53 PM   #10
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXAZ
Only in the state of california is it carcinogenic. It's safe everywhere else.
No, no. Only the state of California has found it to be carcinogenic. (Nobody else is looking.)
Old September 17, 2016, 01:58 PM   #11
44 AMP
Staff

Take a good look at CA's lists, and note the headings, "known" and "suspected carcinogens"

I used to work in chemical management, and the list of things that are known carcinogens is tiny compared to the list of things that are suspected carcinogens, and California suspects more than anyone else I've found.
Old September 17, 2016, 02:22 PM   #12
johnwilliamson062

Quote:
No, no. Only the state of California has found it to be carcinogenic. (Nobody else is looking.)
The way this works in the US is extremely odd. Simplified down it is basically, something must be proven dangerous for there to be limits on its use. How is it proven dangerous? A large scientific study. How do you get a large study funded? You have to prove a chemical is worth studying because of its danger using results from a scientific study

Frog Lube is supposed to be non-toxic.
Old September 17, 2016, 03:20 PM   #13
buckhorn_cortez

Quote:
The way this works in the US is extremely odd. Simplified down it is basically, something must be proven dangerous for there to be limits on its use. How is it proven dangerous? A large scientific study. How do you get a large study funded? You have to prove a chemical is worth studying because of its danger using results from a scientific study
Uh..huh...well maybe not everything gets studied before California decides to put it on its "known carcinogenic" list. When I go to the masonry section of the local home center and look at the playground sand, on the back of the bag it says that the sand is listed as carcinogenic in the State of California.

Kind of makes you wonder if sand is carcinogenic, why the State of California hasn't closed all of the beaches...
Old September 17, 2016, 04:46 PM   #14
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckhorn cortez
Kind of makes you wonder if sand is carcinogenic, why the State of California hasn't closed all of the beaches...
Obviously, because it isn't carcinogenic until it's put in bags and offered for sale at Lowe's or Home Despot. "Beach sand" is a naturally-occurring mineral. "Play sand" is ... a product?

Whoever said it had to make sense?
Old September 17, 2016, 07:43 PM   #15
Slopemeno

......it's probably just the bag.
Old September 17, 2016, 07:54 PM   #16
FITASC

Whenever you have any questions, look up the MSDS sheets on the Net. That will give you the components which you can then research as to their toxicity.

http://www.msds.com/

To the folks mentioning gasoline, we also used to wash things (and our hands) in Zep - Trichloroethylene, a really nasty product.

Petroleum distillates are harmful to inhale, so always use in a well-ventilated area.

One reason I buy the blue nitrile gloves at Sam's to clean my guns so as not to allow absorption into my skin/bloodstream.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa

Last edited by FITASC; September 17, 2016 at 08:02 PM.
Old September 17, 2016, 07:59 PM   #17
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
.. sand is listed as carcinogenic in the State of California.

Sand (silica) is indeed a listed carcinogen, BUT ONLY IN OCCUPATIONAL USE.

Sand that you BUY for any workplace (or home use) must, by law, have the appropriate warnings. The sand that blows into your eyes in the desert is exempt from the law...because it is not provided by a company or employer, for industrial or occupational use, and therefore the "worker's right to know" laws don't apply.

Another example of wisdom I have encountered is the DOT regs that allow a given amount of small arms ammunition to be allowed to be shipped on commercial passenger aircraft, but do not allow any quantity of BLANK ammunition to be shipped the same way.