The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old April 2, 2013, 10:57 PM   #1
jeffj377

WW2 Trench Gun

I have a WW2 trench gun Winchester 12-12 GA. 2 3/4 Serial #990223. Trying to figure out a price to sell it for. The shotgun is in good shape, I don't have the bayonet. It was found next to the bed of my great uncle ( My best guess is if you made it past the attack dogs, you got this gun, I was around 10 years old, but his collection of firearms was impressive). who made a living selling Walnut blanks to gun makers all over the US.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 076.jpg (206.8 KB, 153 views)
File Type: jpg 079.jpg (158.1 KB, 110 views)
File Type: jpg 081.jpg (139.5 KB, 103 views)
Old April 3, 2013, 12:01 AM   #2
kilimanjaro

These sell for between $500 and $1000 depending on condition, marks, and the buyer. Personally, I'd keep it, price will just go up, especially if you locate a bayonet for it.
Old April 3, 2013, 05:26 AM   #3
JT-AR-MG42

Say jeff,

The value on an original trench Model 12 is considerably above 1000. Even if it has been re-blued (without heavy buffing). If the gun is original.

Your pictures lack the clarity that will be needed to sell it for value. From what I see, it either looks re-blued or is a gun that collectors dream of.
Haven't checked the market lately, but I would venture that if the gun is straight and has not been re-blued the value would be over 3 at the least, and probably higher.
Original trench guns do not come up for sale often enough to nail down a firmer price.

An auction might the way to go. There is a considerable number of Military collectors with money just waiting to be spent on a gun that would become their centerpiece. If the gun is original.

Have never seen a blued Arsenal re-work (only parkerized) and the heat shield is in the correct position and is also the correct type for that serial range.
That is in your favor, as there are a lot of parkerized (to cover a re-blue) fake trench guns out there.

I would practice photographing so that the images are sharper. Not meaning to offend, just to help. A prospective buyer will need them before shelling out that kind of money to a stranger.
If you are using a cell for the pictures. You should pick up or borrow a camera that has close shot capabilities. Outdoor natural light helps sometimes.

Get close,clear shots of all butt markings, the choke constriction/Winchester info on the left barrel, any heat shield markings, and a view of the muzzle (looking at the end of the barrel to see the fit of the heat shield on the guns muzzle).

A few of the gun in natural light would be good for better determining the blueing status.

Turn down offers that might come in on this one until you have a chance to be sure just how original the gun is.

My take, JT

Last edited by JT-AR-MG42; April 3, 2013 at 05:49 AM.
Old April 3, 2013, 06:57 AM   #4
Mike Irwin
Staff

"These sell for between $500 and $1000 depending on condition, marks, and the buyer."

Uhm... try adding a zero on the end of each figure and you'll get a lot closer to what a Winchester Model 12 trench gun can actually bring.

$500 for an authentic Model 12 trench gun would be the steal of the century.

That, of course, is predicated on whether the gun is authentic or not. Trench guns, especially the Model 12s, are frequently faked.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.