The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old May 6, 2011, 12:23 AM   #1
Flixoman

Help identifying a Mauser

Hey guys:

Before my dad passed in November, he and I had a discussion about a rifle that he had gotten from his Uncle. Supposedly, it was brought back from WWI in an old milsurp canvas bag (which I still have) - but some of the details are a bit hazy (I blame my friend Jack Daniels - we were "indulging")

I have searched about every site that I could find...but I am at a loss as to its linage.

http://s1089.photobucket.com/albums/...nt=Overall.jpg - you can see its a Carbine length - right about 38" total. Chamber is 8mm (I do remember my dad telling me that). There are no stamped dates - there is pretty much only the SNs (matching) , the Fab. Herstal statement http://s1089.photobucket.com/albums/...iever-Left.jpg, and these two lion engravings http://s1089.photobucket.com/albums/...LeftDetail.jpg & http://s1089.photobucket.com/albums/...-TopDetail.jpg

Other things that I found odd was the checkered handgrips, the sight only ranged to 140M http://s1089.photobucket.com/albums/...=RearSight.jpg

Any idea guys? My dad had originally planned to have it drilled/tapped for a scope...but my opinion was that was a waste...so I have no such aspirations. If its just a "shooter" then so be it...if its not...then

Many thanks
//Jason
Old May 6, 2011, 07:51 AM   #2
gyvel

DO NOT TOUCH THAT RIFLE!!!!! You have an Ethiopian FN Model 1930 Short Rifle. My Blue Book, which is a 2006 edition, and now 5 years out of date, gives a value of $650.00 for that gun in 60% condition.
Old May 6, 2011, 08:08 AM   #3
Flixoman

So I guess I should be glad that my dad never got around to fooling with it, eh?

Thanks for your help!
Old May 6, 2011, 08:43 AM   #4
Jim Watson

SOMEBODY fooled with it.
Or did the Ethiopians specify checkering on military rifle stocks?
I doubt it.
Old May 6, 2011, 08:44 AM   #5
gyvel

Absolutely. It's a fairly rare item. I'm wondering if it was a bringback from the North Africa campaigns, possibly taken from an Italian soldier who had fought in Ethiopia in 1935.
Old May 6, 2011, 09:53 AM   #6
Flixoman

Interesting...a buddy of mine said that the grips look to be hand cut, but I am not sure when it was done - fairly certain that it was not done in South Alabama.
Old May 6, 2011, 03:46 PM   #7
gyvel

The checkering is obviously something that was added much, much later. I was remarking "absolutely" to the fact that your dad had never done anything to it. It's a rare rifle and, if the checkering isn't too deeply cut, the stock may possibly be restored to "original."
Old May 6, 2011, 04:16 PM   #8
Flixoman

Thanks guys - it is a very interesting rifle and wish I knew more about it. I know I have 3 stripper clips and some ammo - will have to look at it when I get home.

You guys say the checkering was almost 100% likely added after it was liberated from axis hands? I guess i could have someone take a peek at getting the checkering "undone" if possible. Wish my great uncle had left more information or my dad had more info on it - would really like to know more about the history and its track from Ethiopia to a little old house in south Alabama.

Was it the lions that gave it away as being contracted for Ethiopia? Or serial #?

As for the future of this piece ...I am not sure what to do. I have my great uncle's 1911 w/US Army leather holster. I wont drill it or anything like that - not a hunter or anything like that.
Old May 7, 2011, 01:29 AM   #9
gyvel

It was the crest on the receiver.
Old May 7, 2011, 08:36 AM   #10
mapsjanhere

Just to add, the sights were supposed to be good to 1400 meters, not 140. Some nice info here. In regards to the checkering, leave it be. Even if you get it steamed out you then need to refinish the stock, and the collectors (reduced) value of "stock with old checkering" and "stock refinished" is about the same.

Last edited by mapsjanhere; May 7, 2011 at 08:48 AM.
Old May 7, 2011, 10:11 AM   #11
jtb1967

I agree it probably won't much difference value wise, but if the checkering wasn't too deep, I'd probably redo the stock just for looks. I'm talking minimum sanding, and then only if needed in the checkered area, and then an several applications of boiled linseed oil. I'm normally against any form of refinishing, but the checkering job killed the original condition part anyway.

Last edited by jtb1967; May 7, 2011 at 05:38 PM.
Old May 7, 2011, 12:21 PM   #12
TX Hunter

I would keep the rifle just as it is, checkering and all.