The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old October 31, 2007, 07:13 PM   #1
sneaky pete

Broken N/M rear sight aperature on M-1 Garand-Need HELP!!

Old Sneaky here: Last Saturday at a CMP Garand match the "Eye-Piece" on my N/M rear sight aperature fell off during a slow fire string. I was able to rescue the "Eye-Piece and the "Spring-Washer" but no luck with te "E"-clip retainer or the 2-REALLY-LITTLE ball-bearings (used as detents{???} for the 1/2MOA rotation of elevation on that $39.00 part. SO what I'm looking for is a place that I can purchase those REALLY Little ball bearings. The size is around 1/32 or 3/64 ????I called up Springfield Armory and talked to one of their Techs--but no luck. Someone on another web-site suggested some Bird-Shot --#11 or #12 ??? If I can't get something that will work Then I guess that I'll just Super-Glue the thing in one place CUZ I couldn't hold 1/2 MOA off a rest if my life depended on it. THANX--SNEAKY
Old October 31, 2007, 07:57 PM   #2
James K
Member In Memoriam

Brownells has detent balls in sizes ranging from 1/16 (1.6mm) on up to 9/32 (7.1mm). They have a kit with 20 of each size at around $100; their minimum sale is a pack of 20 of any one size for about $16.

They also have "E clips" also in a kit ($115) and with packs of 20 in any one size at about $16.

Actually, my first stop would be the local "big box" hardware store. They often have that kind of stuff in trays in the hardware section. I doubt that the maker of that sight used anything but off-the-shelf stuff so those parts should be available. You might also try a gunsmith shop if you have one that does much custom work.

Jim
Old October 31, 2007, 11:34 PM   #3
Unclenick
Staff

The rules say the only NM part allowed on a gun used in John C. Garand matches is the op-rod, and then only because regular op-rods are getting harder to find. It is supposed to be an as-issued match, which distinguishes it from service rifle matches, such as the National Match course, where accurized and otherwise NM service rifles are allowed, but these are mixed Garand, M14/M1A, M16/AR15 matches. The CMP sponsors both kinds of matches. If you were cheating in a J.C.G. match, the curse of the rulebook gods may have befallen you?

The small balls are around. You can find them all the way down to almost 0.01" on the manufacturer web sites. I can't remember what size they are in those sights? It may vary with the maker. You can buy 100 0.0468" balls for about $8.00 at McMaster-Carr. Part # 9528K122.

I've seen the parts for NM rear sights on sale on Commercial Row at Camp Perry during the National Matches. I used to carry a kit that included the little external beryllium-copper snap ring, but found it hard to seat accurately without distorting it. Once self-disassembled, those sights tended to repeat the behavior. As a result, I designed my own version that uses beefier and more commonly available parts, but you need a lathe and willingness to devote a lot of time to making one.

Try giving Fulton Armory a call and see if they have the parts? I believe they used to. The same rear sight is used on the M14/M1A NM versions.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle