The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old October 21, 2012, 09:10 PM   #26
Tactical Jackalope

Quote:
I AIWB a Glock 17 or 19 often. No worries.

Me too
Old October 24, 2012, 08:33 PM   #27
Striker1

Quote:
Thinking about carrying appendix, just wondering if anyone has experience with this please share. How safe is it? is it comfortable?
How safe is it? Well, where is the muzzle pointing? What would happen if you had a ND while holstering?

I won't do it but if I did, I would not use a pistol with no safety lever like a Glock, M&P etc. It isn't really about the trigger finger but more the chance of some other foreign object entering the trigger guard such as a piece of clothing or collapsed holster.

The whole set-up does not pass my risk VS reward test.

In a broader sense, I can see no reason to speed holster any pistol.
Old October 25, 2012, 07:49 AM   #28
Nanuk

Quote:
In a broader sense, I can see no reason to speed holster any pistol.
Bingo.

It is a carry position that requires a quality holster and practice. One in place don' fiddle with it. I like the Zack holster, some guys use that and a clip draw.

http://www.onesourcetactical.com/zac...ntholster.aspx
My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.
Old October 26, 2012, 01:58 AM   #29
9mm

I tried my Glock 26 a few times, hurts too much. Pushes into my areas. I like it around 3-4 o clock. Bug ankle, this way barrels are out of the way of important body parts.
Old October 26, 2012, 05:12 AM   #30
gpjoe

Very often, with a J-frame or SP-101. With my semi autos - OWB at 7-9 o'clock (lefty here).

Besides the fact that it's always a revolver that I'm carrying appendix, I'm not reholstering under duress so it's really a non-issue to me. If I have to draw in self-defense the last thing I'm worried about is a re-holster.
Old October 26, 2012, 06:36 AM   #31
BlueTrain

What exactly is meant by a clip draw?
Buy War Bonds.
Old October 26, 2012, 06:51 AM   #32
Skadoosh

Quote:
BlueTrain wrote:

What exactly is meant by a clip draw?

They make clips that will fit revolvers too.

Old October 26, 2012, 11:35 PM   #33
p loader

Question: it's standard practice to treat every gun as if it were loaded, to never point it at anything you aren't prepared to destroy.

Would any of you place your hand in front of the barrel? How about pointing a loaded handgun at your stomach, chest, face...?

heck no! That would be nuts and unsafe!

Yet, you carry your gun pointed directly at your d*ck, or lower abdomen when you sit down?

Interesting how that thought process works. So for those who are comfortable with that, would you then be comfortable pointing the same gun you carry appendix style AT your face, or chest, or stomach? After all, what's the difference?
Old October 27, 2012, 12:13 AM   #34
CWKahrFan

Quote:
That would be nuts and unsafe!
I see your point but jeepers creepers... The number of government agents who carry in horizontal shoulder rigs must number in the thousands. Their guns are pointing in the direction of many people who happen to be behind them throughout every workday. How do you feel about that?
Old October 27, 2012, 12:16 AM   #35
Nanuk

Quote:
Question: it's standard practice to treat every gun as if it were loaded, to never point it at anything you aren't prepared to destroy.
All of my guns are loaded. With the proper holster the gun is totally safe. Think about it, if you CCW your gun is pointed all over randomly, depending on your carry mode and what you are doing. AIWB is very comfortable, secure and concealable with the right gear. It also offers a quicker draw if needed. Like anything else it takes competence and practice.
Old October 27, 2012, 01:03 AM   #36
tomrkba

The muzzle still points at your body when carrying a pistol strong side IWB. You will sweep your hip and/or leg when you draw. You will also point the gun at yourself with appendix carry. You can die either way, so care must be taken regardless of method used.

Appendix carry is a great way to carry. However, there are a few considerations:

1) Holster reluctantly. Obviously, you can shoot yourself regardless of method. Remember Tex Grubner? He shot himself drawing from a strongside holster because he was tired. You must be careful at all times, regardless of circumstance. If you feel that you are impaired in some way, remove the holster, insert the gun into the holster while keeping it pointed in a safe direction, and reattach the holster to your belt.

2) Your body will dictate the size of the gun you can comfortably carry in the appendix position. Consider the overall height and length of the gun. A long barrel will put pressure on your thigh that will become very uncomfortable after a few hours. A gun with a long grip may be difficult to conceal without loose clothing.

3) You will need to determine the specific attributes of a holster that work for you. I like a very narrow holster with a loop that is not attached to the widest part of the holster.

4) Always carry your gun in a holster that fully covers the trigger. The "clips" are a great way to "Plaxico" yourself.

Last edited by tomrkba; October 27, 2012 at 01:13 AM.
Old October 27, 2012, 08:35 AM   #37
p loader

Ah yes, Plaxico....genius!

Good responses, was just playing DA and looking for some other opinions. Do whatever makes you feel comfortable.
Old October 27, 2012, 11:45 AM   #38
Nanuk

Quote:
The "clips" are a great way to "Plaxico" yourself.
Hence why I suggested using the clip together with this.

http://www.onesourcetactical.com/zac...ntholster.aspx
Old October 27, 2012, 11:53 AM   #39
Frank Ettin
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanuk
Quote:
The "clips" are a great way to "Plaxico" yourself.
Hence why I suggested using the clip together with this....
Wouldn't interest me. I'm a believe in a good holster and being able to re-holster one handed, without looking.
"It is long been a principle of ours that one is no more armed because he has possession of a firearm than he is a musician because he owns a piano. There is no point in having a gun if you are not capable of using it skillfully." -- Jeff Cooper
Old October 27, 2012, 01:43 PM   #40
tomrkba

The Zack is not sufficient. There is no reason to compromise.
Old October 29, 2012, 12:22 PM   #41
redstategunnut

I use a Raven Concealment Vanguard often. It would not be the holster I would choose for class because of the need to reholster repeatedly. In class, I would use the Fricke Archangel for exactly this reason.

However, in twenty years of concealed EDC, I have never once had to reholster my weapon outside of my closet, never mind do so one handed. If I make the decision to reholster, it will be because I have become convinced that there is no longer a threat, and I will reholster reluctantly.

I'm not going to make decisions about how I EDC based upon the most unlikely scenarios, including one handed reholstering. That's just not a factor for me. I'm going to make these decisions to maximize my utility for the purpose to which the gun would be put. For that reason, I want a safe carry method that is comfortable, provides good concealment and retention, and allows fast access with either hand. The Vanguard accomplishes this, for me.
Old October 30, 2012, 06:56 PM   #42
Polynikes

I carry an XD9sc IWB at about 1:30-2:00. It's not the most comfortable but it's really the only spot I can find on my belt that I feel adequately concealed. Anywhere else and my shirts tend to hang up on the gun and print like crazy.
Old October 30, 2012, 07:45 PM   #43
tomrkba

Quote:
I use a Raven Concealment Vanguard often. It would not be the holster I would choose for class because of the need to reholster repeatedly. In class, I would use the Fricke Archangel for exactly this reason.

However, in twenty years of concealed EDC, I have never once had to reholster my weapon outside of my closet, never mind do so one handed. If I make the decision to reholster, it will be because I have become convinced that there is no longer a threat, and I will reholster reluctantly.

I'm not going to make decisions about how I EDC based upon the most unlikely scenarios, including one handed reholstering. That's just not a factor for me. I'm going to make these decisions to maximize my utility for the purpose to which the gun would be put. For that reason, I want a safe carry method that is comfortable, provides good concealment and retention, and allows fast access with either hand. The Vanguard accomplishes this, for me.
The issue isn't during everyday carry. I think it comes into play during training or general range time. I think people become less careful as the repetitions increase and they become fatigued.
Old October 31, 2012, 01:26 PM   #44
Nanuk

Quote:
The Zack is not sufficient. There is no reason to compromise.
What is insufficient or a compromise?

It is not a range or a training holster, nor is it a holster for a beginner. It is a carry option that allows for safe carry without adding any bulk inside your waist. It is not a holster for every season or reason. I use a OWB strong side belt holster when I work, I use the Zach in the summer. I see no compromise only solutions.

The reason there are so many carry options is because not every option is for every day or every person. With a Zach I can safely conceal a G31 in jeans and T shirt.
Old November 1, 2012, 09:33 AM   #45
Tactical Jackalope

I use this for CCW

It fits my Glock 19, 22, 21, 34, 17, Walther PPQ, and 1911's

http://soldiersystems.net/blog1/wp-c...s_intruder.jpg
Old November 1, 2012, 11:35 AM   #46
Nanuk

Those are nice, I have one similar and they do not work for me appendix, 3-4 oclock.
Old November 3, 2012, 01:10 PM   #47
BigMike

Yes. I have a FIST untra thin kydex I carry a S&W 4043 in at the 1 o'clock position. Works for me...
TFL Alumni #2636
Old November 4, 2012, 09:48 AM   #48
JFootin

My favorite carry package is my J-frame (S&W 638) AIWB at 10:30 (lefty). I had this reverse canted, low riding leather holster with tuckable clip custom made to my specifications by James Dean Gunleather. I asked for the rounded edge so there would be no corners that might make for discomfort. It is made of finest Herman Oak leather and hand stitched. James also does the smoothest, best finished edges I have seen. Isn't it a beauty?

(That's not my gun in the holster.)

The low ride and reverse cant make the grip lay down horizontally on top of my belt, where it hides underneath my middle-aged belly that expands above it, making for no printing under a loose shirt. The reverse cant also does 2 other things: it moves the muzzle over toward the center enough that it doesn't jam against the top of my thigh when I am seated, and it presents the gun at an angle that favors the natural backward direction of the draw from that position.

Other advantages? The accessibility of the gun for quick deployment is ideal. The weak hand can pull the shirt out of the way when drawing. This is not the case when carrying on or behind the hip. The draw is less attention getting because the elbow doesn't go way up and back like when drawing from the hip. Reholstering is easier because you can see what you are doing and the weak hand can help if needed.

And, the super duper advantage, IMO? Drawing the gun is just as easy when seated as when standing! Being a lefty, it even works when I am buckled into the driver's seat of my car. (Sorry, this won't work for righties because of the shoulder strap. You have to ride shotgun for it to work for you. )
Old November 5, 2012, 01:08 PM   #49
Nanuk

Jfootn,That is a very nice rig indeed.
Old November 5, 2012, 02:08 PM   #50
JFootin

Thanks Nanuk. I enjoyed applying my engineering and design talent to that holster design. I think James could sell a s**t load of them on the S&W, Taurus and other revolver forums. After all, how many J-frame owners with middle-aged spreads are there in America? LOL!

That said, I find that the J-frame works better than even tiny semi-autos in the front pocket. It is because of the shape of the gun and the grip. It rides comfortably in a proper pocket holster and is much easier to draw. And the J-frame works really great in the AIWB position for some of the same reasons. The frame is just 1/2" wide and the barrel is a little thinner than that. In contrast, all semi-autos have a slide that is 3/4" wide on tiny 380s and almost 1" wide on pocket 9s. That width stays the same from the muzzle all the way to the very back of the gun, and the frame is at least as wide. On a revolver, the back of the frame angles down toward the grip, whereas on a semi-autos the back of the slide extends strait back much further. So, the semi-auto is actually a much bulkier gun both below and above the waistline. Look at this comparison...

And, LOL, check this out. I bought a very inexpensive pocket holster for my J-frame: the Stays-Put Ultra. Just $14.95 shipped. And as the name implies, it stays put in my pocket when I draw the gun better than any pocket holster I have ever seen (and I've seen a lot). But... it also works outstandingly in the AIWB position and stays put there all day long. More comfortable than the leather holster. So comfortable that I forget the gun is there. Effortless to insert or remove. Effortless to draw because the inside of the holster is smooth nylon, yet the gun stays in the holster because my belly expanding above it keeps it in there. It is even effortless to reholster the gun because there is a tiny little strip of flexible plastic that keeps the holster open just enough to insert that small diameter barrel. This has become my favorite carry package!

Tags
appendix , bullets , carry , ccw , gun