The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old March 27, 2009, 09:04 AM   #26
sundance44s

Hawg ...your post about electrolysis got me thinking ...last time I heard that term there was talk about a gal haveing it done for a biniki line or something ..hahaha ...I think there was talk of other treatments I didn`t understand also ....
Old March 27, 2009, 09:13 AM   #27
Dingoboyx

I shoot ROA, Pietta, Euro arms of America & Colt Dragoon

I have never had one chain fire. I put this down to 1: squishing the caps a little to stop them jumping off on recoil 2: when I have molded the balls, I drop them in a tray of WD40 or Inox and roll them around a bit.. Then I dump them on paper towel, and put them in the container to take to the range. By the time I get to use them, they look dry, but are slightly greasy. I use bread crumbs as a filler, so from the time I load up, til the time I shoot, if a ball was a little too damp, the bread crumbs soak up any excess and stop the powder getting damp.

Works for me, give it a shot

Muzza
Old March 27, 2009, 09:14 AM   #28
45Marlin carbine

I use toilet bowl wax and vaseline mix heated up and stirred to soak felts in to lube the slugs in my .44 '58 atop the powder charge. a dry flet first then the lubed one atop it.
it is very important to have snug fitting caps though.
Old March 27, 2009, 09:19 AM   #29
Dingoboyx

Hey Clembert

my balls are a bit wrinkled but they fire every time

One guy in my black powder uses toothpaste (nothing fancy, el-cheapo, home brand) and another uses vaseline (petroleum jelly)

I just stick with my WD40 treatment and beat them any hoo

Muzza
Old March 27, 2009, 10:20 AM   #30
sundance44s

Pohill says he uses Pam Spray on his ball and cylinder pin ...works well as a no sticky lube ...I`ve yet to try it myself ...I`ll have to slip the can in my range bag next time the wife isn`t looking ....it is a good grade lube ..should do well .
Old March 27, 2009, 10:40 AM   #31
ClemBert

Dingo

Quote:
I just stick with my WD40 treatment and beat them any hoo
Are you saying that when you go to the range you spray WD-40 on top of the loaded lead? The reason I ask is because you always hear not to use petroleum based lubes with black powder because it contributes to fouling/gunk left behind. Apparently, black powder residue and petroleum make a mess when the two are combined. It could be you are not using black powder though and are using a substitute such as Pyrodex or 777. That's an FYI to anyone paying attention to the actual propellant they plan use and what combination of lube is used.
Old March 27, 2009, 10:58 AM   #32
Dingoboyx

No clem

when I drop the cast balls out of the mold, I drop them into a pan of WD40 (with some paper towel on the bottom of the pan.) When finished, I tip them onto a paper towel and then put them in the box I take them to the range in. By the time I actually get to load them, they look dry, feel a little slimey (but not much) and are still nice and shiny. I load about 30gr black into my ROA .44, followed by a little filler (breadcrumbs) then the ball, squeeze the cap so it grips the nipple (and doesn't jump off) If there was any residual dampness from the balls being rolled in WD40 a week or so ago, the breadcrumbs will take care of that and the powder charge will be perfect

Never had a misfire or chainfire yet

Works for me

Muzza
Old March 27, 2009, 11:02 AM   #33
Dingoboyx

I just use Black

I have used pyrodex before, but havent been able to find it for a year or more. The crud we have to use is very dirty, everyone has problems with fouling, no natter whay powder/wax/lube they use. (I actually believe the powder we are forced to use if fireworks grade (just no sparkley things in it) it is real crap. I am in the process of making a ball mill and intend to try making my own (cant be worse)

Do you know any recipe's for BP?

Muzza
Old March 27, 2009, 11:06 AM   #34
ClemBert

Dingo

I take it that you also don't have access to any of the other BP substitutes like 777, Pinnacle, etc.?

Anyhow, for BP production take a look at YouTube. Plenty of info there. Good luck.
Old March 27, 2009, 11:36 AM   #35
Dingoboyx

Thats right clem

pretty pathetic hey We used to be able to get various black powders, and pyrodex, but due to our laws, here in Canberra, in the Australian Capital Territory, our gun shops arent allowed to sell ANY powder (black or otherwise) AT ALL!!!!

Just in case you are re reading that last sentence in disbelief.... yes, GUNSHOPS in ACT. are NOT allowed, by law, to sell ANY propellant AT ALL!
They can sell ammo, projectiles, primers, molds, scales, powder throwers, accessories for handloading, but ZERO propellants!

We can, however, get it in New South Wales, which surrounds us, we can buy 10kg (yes 22lbs) per day, but there isnt a gunshop close by in NSW. I can probably get something from a big gunshop in Sydney (3 hours drive), such as Horsley Park Gunshop, but it is a case of getting there (timewise) I could buy it online, but they can not post/ship/freight it to me as it would be illegal for a courier to carry it over the border into the ACT. It is actually illegal for a shooter to bring it into the ACT, however most do, and the law looks the other way. Courier companies (Toll, Ipec, similar to your FedEx) cant get away with it.

If I cant find a good reliable recipe, I will have to go for a drive and get some, when I can locate some online.

Muzza