The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 20, 2009, 09:43 PM   #1
Yoosta B. Blue

Need a .45 ACP recipe

I reload and shoot lots of 200 gr LRNFP, and have enjoyed them a lot. I ordered some reloading components the other day and had them add 100 pieces of their 250 gr LRNFP "just for kicks." I thought I'd shoot a few of these heavier bullets just to see what difference I could see between the 200 and the 250. However, I don't find a recipe for the 250 gr when using Bullseye, Unique, or HS-6. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Yoosta B. Blue

Last edited by Yoosta B. Blue; January 20, 2009 at 09:55 PM.
Old January 20, 2009, 10:04 PM   #2
Gazzmann

For out of the ordinary loads you may have to email Alliant customer service at [email protected]
Sometimes it takes a few days, but they have always replied to my requests for load data.
Load safe.
John
Old January 20, 2009, 10:21 PM   #3
Unclenick
Staff

May not work in the .45 ACP. The 250 grainers are often designed for .45 Long Colt. If they have a square base, they can be long enough that the bullet base jams below the point at which the .45 ACP case wall starts to thicken. If you push them in that far, the case gets too fat around the bullet base to chamber.

I have a 290 grain bullet mold I designed for .45 ACP. I had to give it a slight boattail to fit in the case. (It shoots slow (about 700-750 fps) but penetrates better than hardball.) If your 250 grain design has a bevel base, though, it still may fit.

A mild starting load can be calculated in QuickLOAD, but the length of the bullet and the COL you intend to use with it are necessary to make that calculation, assuming it fits.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old February 13, 2009, 06:54 AM   #4
Yoosta B. Blue

Many thanks for the responses, gentlemen.

YBB
Old February 13, 2009, 03:48 PM   #5
darkgael

Speer

The Speer #13 Manual has data for loading 260 grain Jacketed bullets. Not lead, but it may lead you in the right direction. Lead bullets generally require 5-10% less powder to achieve the same velocity as jacketed bullets of the same weight.
Pete