The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old December 23, 1999, 12:21 AM   #1
Sgt Rod

After inspecting a couple of this pistols in .45, I decided to buy one and work on it. The pistol seems well made and shows a nice finish called "wonder finish" (what is it?). I would like to ask all of you about any upgrades or preventive modifications that would be necessary to make sure this pistol becomes 100% reliable and smooth working. Any comment will be welcome!
Old December 23, 1999, 04:00 AM   #2
slickpuppy

Hi Sgt Rod,
A fellow I know has one that is blued. Don't know if it has "wonder finish" or not, but it is a very nicely made gun. AND, it didn't break the bank. He has shot about 1000 rounds through it using lead, ball, jhp, and swc loads and has not had a malfunction at all. He let me shoot it and I was impressed with the accuracy. Trigger on it was fine. I have read some accounts about them where the trigger was substandard, but I didn't find that to be the case in the one I shot. The only thing about them is that they have some serious recoil! Other than that out of the box they are a heckuva good deal. Other than keeping it clean and the slide rails lubed I think it would be hard to improve the little puppy. Adjustable sights would be nice on it though.

[This message has been edited by slickpuppy (edited December 23, 1999).]
Old December 23, 1999, 06:39 AM   #3
George Stringer
Staff Alumnus

Sgt. Rod, there are a few aftermarket parts for the pistol in the Brownells catalogue but you aren't talking about a 1911 so don't expect much. The witness is the only DA/SA pistol that I actually like. It fits my hand well and the trigger is acceptable. The only ones I've seen have been blue. I think the wonder finish is a lacquer type, but don't quote me. George
Old January 8, 2000, 11:37 AM   #4
Ruger guy

I just recently bought an IMI Jericho 941 9mm. I am told that they are in the same family as the whitness and Baby Eagle. (It came in an uzi baby eagle box but has no such markings on it even though it looks identical.) Unless you have the big one. But I have short stubby hands and fingers which is why I thought I would never own an auto pistol until I picked up this one. It has the wonder finish. I don't know what this finish really is. Be careful what chemicals you get near it. After the first few days of ownership I sprayed some Remington action cleaner down inside and inadvertently got some on the outside. The finish seemed to dry out and turned white and scared the hell out of me. I thought it was ruined. The only thing I knew to do was coat the whole thing immeadiately with the castrol synthetic oil that I use on the internals. It seemed to save it. But if I wipe it really dry without restoring the oil it still seems like it's dried out or something. Sorry for not being able to describe it any better than this. But please kids, don't try this at home.

I'd love to know where to get aftermarket parts for these. Mine came with a 15 round magazine and I'm told that the mags from the whitness and cz75 series among others interchange. I've also been told that there are 22 round mags out there, but I haven't been able to find them.

Is anybody making aftermarket barrels or other parts or is this just an opportunity waiting to happen with all the big boys ignoring these guns. I was thinking about getting some barrel blanks and making some longer barrels with adjustable muzzle brake, that sort of thing. (My wife's real little and looks like she's firing a 454casull when she uses it) Also maybe slide/barrel bushing, etc. Caliber Conversion kits? I know it sounds silly but hey, it's the only thing that fits.

Old November 9, 2000, 10:35 PM   #5
brianidaho

OK, I'm revising an old post here... I just got a Witness Compact, 40, in Wonderfinish. According to people on the handgun forum and EAA, Wonderfinish is a heat treat process similar to Teinfer (sp) thats on the Glocks. Supposed to be tough as heck and corrosion resistant. I've cleaned and lubed with Tetra, action is smooth to start with. Put 100 rounds through it at lunch the other day, functioned flawlessly. I also though the recoil was quite mild, accuracy better than my 45 poly Witness. I plan to make this one my primary carry gun. A couple of things I'm wondering about:

The trigger is pretty good as is, but does have noticable creep. Does anyone have any experience with smoothing the trigger on one of these? Can I do the work with a hard arkansas stone, or will machine work be req'd? Is a single action trigger available?

I'm also considering making a set of wood grips for it. I've got some walnut in my shop I'll try as a proto, if things turn out well may go with Coco Boalo (sp?). Has anyone done so, and how involved a project is this?

I'd also like to get some night sites. The front site is integral to the slide on this one-can a hole be drilled through it and a night site insert be installed? How expensive is it to have the slide milled for a dovetailed one? Any pointers appreciated.

I really like this one, especially for the price, right around $300.

Thanks in advance.

Bri

[This message has been edited by brianidaho (edited November 09, 2000).]
Old November 10, 2000, 12:35 AM   #6
alter ego

Gents,

I have a full size Witness .45. I have 1200 rounds through it with no jams except from a bum pro mag magazine (don't buy them, buy Mec-gar). Reasonably accurate. Fits my mitts.

SGT Rod: Modifications? Hougues finger groove grips fit with some slight modifications with sandpaper to make the mags drop free. The .45 frame is bigger than standard. OTher than that I wouldn't mess with it other than to put a 18lb recoil spring in it. Should be reliable out of the box. Nice loose chamber.

BrianIdaho: I have a really great smith who is just as happy to work on my $300 Witness as a $3000 Les Bauer. NOT a gun snob so I trust him. He said he could probably get rid of some of the slack. The unfortunate thing about heat treatment of the slide is that it is VERY hard and makes milling dovetails an expensive proposition.

regards,
David