The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old December 20, 2013, 11:22 AM   #1
Dc777

S&W model 10?? Is it a good gun?

Someone locally offered me a trade for my high standard sport king .22 pistol and I don't know anything about the gun that he has offered me. It is a smith and Wesson model 10 with a 4" barrel. He says that he purchased it used through buds about 4 years ago,and he is guessing that the gun is 10-15 years old. He has offered to give me the serial number so that I can call smith and Wesson and see how old it really is. It's my understanding that this model was originally produced in 1899. I've only owned two revolvers in my life and neither of them were smith and wessons. Is this particular gun a good shooter? Sa/Da?? Thanks for any help you can give me.

Paintings were made to look at, and guns were made to be shot. If you aren't going to use them as they are intended for, get rid of them and buy a Picasso.
Old December 20, 2013, 11:40 AM   #2
Wyosmith

The M-10 was the back bone of the S&W Company for many years. Probably more 10s made than any other S&W Revolver in its history.

From a standpoint of collectability I'd say your HS is worth more (if the S&W and the HS are in the same overall condition) but the M-10 may be more practical.

The HS have a tendency to jam as they age because their recoil springs get tired and it's all but impossible to get a spring that is not just as tired.

The spring guide will not allow a thicker coil to work with a smaller I.D. and the hole in the slide will not allow a larger coil to pass. Also the hole is just the right length for the factory spring to be at about 98% compression when the slide comes to the rear, so a longer spring can't work either. In other words you can't get a stronger spring even if you make one.

I have had many High Standard autos come to my shop with weak springs. I know of no source for replacement springs that offer anything but other springs that are 50-80 years old. Replacing with a "new spring" means you are replacing the old tired spring with an old tired spring in nearly every case.

So if you like to shoot, the M-10 may be a better option for you. If you like to collect nice guns, the HS is a better one to have.

If I were you I might find out if there was anyone that would simply buy the HS from you. Collectors still like them. If your gun is in good condition you may get enough for it to simply buy a gun you'd like better.

With all that said, I will finish by saying if the M-10 is in good shape you probably would be happy with it. Check the timing and the overall condition and if it's good inside and out I am sure the S&W will last you a very long time.
Old December 20, 2013, 11:41 AM   #3
2damnold4this

If it's in good shape, it's a great gun.
Old December 20, 2013, 11:45 AM   #4
PetahW

I wouldn't worry about it.

1) The Model 10 was the Gold Standard for most US police departments, until LE went to autoloaders (for the most part) in the late 1980's & early 90's.

2) That particular model S&W wasn't stamped as a "Model 10" until S&W started giving their revolvers model numbers in the mid-late 1950's.

IMO, the trade value is almost even, presuming the Model 10's in good condition - with a slight edge in value going to the S&W.

Old December 20, 2013, 12:52 PM   #5
Dc777

I don't shoot the high standard much but I've never had an issue with it. Shooting older guns make me nervous. Its actually the only .22 handgun that I own,however that should change Christmas morning. I've "entertained" offers for the high standard,and idiots seem to think that I will sell it for $100. I'm more of the type that likes to trade any how.

Paintings were made to look at, and guns were made to be shot. If you aren't going to use them as they are intended for, get rid of them and buy a Picasso.
Old December 20, 2013, 01:05 PM   #6
jglsprings

You don't need to be in any hurry. There are literally 10s of millions of the Model 10 out there. And this one doesn't sound that special - ask the "date my smith" sticky thread (at the top of the revolver forum) how old it is when you get the serial number.

Your High Standard on the other hand is a much rarer bird. I'd research on gunbroker or armslist what they are currently selling for. I'd give up my 10 for a H/S anytime - then go replace the 10 easy.

Commas save lives...
Old December 20, 2013, 01:38 PM   #7
ghawke

Bud's Guns

If the gun was bought from Bud's Guns it is probably a police dept or other agency trade-in. They tend to have a lot of carry wear. Lately they have been selling for around $269 from Buds. Buds gets them in bunches and and they usually sell pretty fast.
Old December 20, 2013, 02:01 PM   #8
BigJimP

I has a HS Sport King ( it was made in the early 1950's ) and a Victory model, pre model 10 - that was made in the late 1940's...both are solid guns.

Its an apples to oranges comparison...there are a lot of sport kings around ..and there are a lot of model 10's around -- and neither one of them demand high prices in the market ( some of the other models of the High Standard are highly sought after ) ...but not so much the Sport King model.

Its kind of the same thing on the model 10's...good solid, serviceable guns - but not the high end of the S&W revolver line of guns to collectors.

I think the values of both guns are between $ 100 - $ 300 / and original condition - and clean - will mean a lot to the value in my view.
Old December 20, 2013, 03:23 PM   #9
Buzzcook

Ask for some sugar like ammo to even up the trade.
Old December 20, 2013, 03:48 PM   #10
SIGSHR

10-15 year old, see if the barrel is pinned.
The S&W M&P /Model 10 is to S&W as the Colt Official Police is to Colt-the basic model from which so many others were derived.
Old December 20, 2013, 04:15 PM   #11
skoro

S&W model 10?? Is it a good gun?

I'd put it this way...

The Model 10 in good shape is not a good gun.

It's an excellent gun.
Old December 20, 2013, 04:21 PM   #12
BigD_in_FL

Quote:
I think the values of both guns are between $ 100 - $ 300 / and original condition - and clean - will mean a lot to the value in my view.
Not around here, more like 350-500.............

OP make sure that it isn't an armored car trade-in as they were generally converted to DA only
Old December 20, 2013, 05:11 PM   #13
WC145

Keep the High Standard. If you ever want a M10 you'll have no trouble finding a nice one at a reasonable price, they only made a bazillion of them.
"If violent crime is to be curbed, it is only the intended victim who can do it. The felon does not fear the police, and he fears neither judge or jury. Therefore what he must be taught to fear is his victim." - LtCol Jeff Cooper
Old December 20, 2013, 06:25 PM   #14
BigJimP

Its amazing values are so different all over the country...../ but its just the way it is....
Old December 20, 2013, 09:55 PM   #15
bedbugbilly

I know there are HS fanatics out there and I say more power to 'em . . everybody has their likes/dislikes. I had a HS Sport King that was my Dads - he bought it new in 1956 and only shot it a few times. After he passed, I ended up with it as nobody else wanted it (neither did I). I had three magazines for it - it never feed right and I had several smiths look at it. It really had no sentimental value so I got rid of it.

I have a number of S & Ws - one of my favorites is a pre 10 with a 5 inch barrel. I had a dealer run the HS through gunbroker and it brought even less than what a 10 would bring that had a lot of wear - that was several years ago so that may have changed. I love the M & Ps - I love 38 spl. If the 10 was in decent shape - a good shooter - and I wanted a 38, I would do it in a heartbeat.

I guess it all depends on if the HS has any sentimental meaning to you and how much you use it. Right now, I have four 22 handguns that just "sit" as well as several rifles as the ammo is so hard to come by. My 38s aren't a problem as I do my own casting and reload. If the 22 situation doesn't improve in the future - those handguns are going to get "thinned out" as I hate having any that I can't use.
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old December 20, 2013, 10:11 PM   #16
Super Sneaky Steve

My bull barrel M10 is the best handgun I own. And I own a lot.
Old December 21, 2013, 01:11 AM   #17
ckpj99

It sounds like pretty much everyone has said how good a model 10, but I don't think anyone has talked about the trigger.

The trigger on mine is exceptional. The DA is a very smooth (maybe 6 lbs), the SA is very light with absolutely no creep. I have an old Model 36 as well, which people say has a really nice trigger for a small revolver, however, the Model 10 is like night and day with it. Older K/L frame sized Smiths are said to have some of the best revolver triggers ever made. Short of a Korth or something custom, I don't think you'll find anything better.

You've said you owned a couple other revolvers, so you may know this, but what I really like about revolvers is the ability to truly customize your shooting experience by changing the grips. You can get bantam/boot/secret service style grips and make the gun a very handy, tight package. On the opposite end of the spectrum, you can get big, cushy, mattress sized Hogue rubber grips and almost eliminate the felt recoil. I personally like wood grips on all my guns, and my M10 wears Jerry Miculek's smooth wood grips that just rock.
Old December 21, 2013, 01:18 AM   #18
Model12Win

One of the greatest police/.mil police revolvers ever made. If it's in good shape, I'd gopher it.
Old December 21, 2013, 02:03 PM   #19
JAREDSHS

keep the high standard and reward your self with a nice used model ten. Or offer to buy the one being offered in trade to your HS.
Old December 21, 2013, 05:09 PM   #20
Frasier

I put Hogue rubber grips on my 10-8 and it is the most accurate handgun I have.
Old December 21, 2013, 07:16 PM   #21
Hal

Quote:
It sounds like pretty much everyone has said how good a model 10, but I don't think anyone has talked about the trigger.
Probably because, based only on the trigger, going from a High Standard to a Smith is a downgrade.

There's no comparison between the two.

Maybe with several hundred dollars invested, the M10 could come close to having what a stock High Standard has - maybe..

While I love a Smith trigger, it's not even close to the excellent trigger on even a lowly Sport King.
The two Sport Kings in my safe let off at a crisp sub 1 pound.
Old December 23, 2013, 06:49 PM   #22
Colt46

There are millions of M-10's out there

Revolver design hasn't really progressed much since the model 10's introduction.
It will last a lifetime and probably that of your favorite grandchild as well.
Old December 23, 2013, 07:01 PM   #23
Dc777

I appreciate the responses guys. I posted an ad on armslist for my high standard stating that I wanted a revolver. The model 10 is the only revolver that I've been offered so I asked you guys about it. I'm not obsessed with it by no means but it seems that nobody in my area is interested in the high standard. Not sure why.

Old December 23, 2013, 07:11 PM   #24
Kev

Here is a quick search using www.gunwatcher.com

http://www.gunwatcher.com/gun/76A361...el-10-for-sale

As little as 190.00 to as much as you want to spend for a model 10.

Honestly, they are about my least favorite S&W product of their wheelgun line. (Put the torches and pitchforks down)

My father has about 7 of them in his collection, from M&P's pre model 10 designation to actual 10's. He does have one nickel M&P that was from the Canadian Mounties, with stag grips that I am slightly fond of..

I would keep the HS, and just buy a 10..they are everywhere you look.
Old December 23, 2013, 07:21 PM   #25
Kev

DC...
Not to long ago you were looking for the date range and info on your HS.

Did you ever get a chance to shoot her?
Maybe if you didn't, I'd hope you do, heck, may just want to keep it.