The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old April 17, 2013, 11:52 PM   #1
old fart

speckled rust

i recently bought a nef r-92 revolver, got a good deal at $85. it had little places of rust here and there. i used rem oil, wd 40, and 0000 wool, the rust came off the frame and left little dark specs in its place. is this rust too?, its almost black in color. the frame is a blue parkerized type coating that nef put on it, with a rough dull texture. the cylinder is shiny blue with specs of rust here and there, i used the 0000 wool and oil but the small rust won't come off. i have run my nail across the cylinder and i can't feel the rust but it is visible. what else can i do to get the rust off the cylinder? i hope someone can help, thanks
Old April 18, 2013, 12:10 AM   #2
stealintv

Sounds like pitting to me. The rust ate a tiny crater in the metal. Happened to my 1911s slide. U can probably search youtube for how to refinish metal surfaces. Being that its a cheap pistol, it may be a project you may get your hands dirty in. Otherwise, someone more experienced may need to do this. I imagine the job would cost more than you paid for the firearm, though.
Old April 18, 2013, 12:17 AM   #3
old fart

there isn't any pits, the surface is smooth i even used a toothpick to be sure. it just small black specs in the finish which is a parkerized or some type. the cylinder i can see rust but it too is smooth, the cylinder has regular dark shiny bluing on it.. thanks
Old April 18, 2013, 07:30 AM   #4
dahermit

There is no such thing as "surface rust"...it is a matter of degree, progresses from very minor to making the gun completely unusable and un-salvageable. When rust (Iron Oxide), forms the surface is pitted. That can be confirmed if looked at under magnification. If that "minor" rust bothers you, there are ways (chemical and electrolysis), to remove the Iron Oxide...but there will be a pit where it was albeit, it may be very small.
Therefore, if the gun was mine, I would try to stop obsessing about minor rust and vow to take better care of my guns. If the rust still bothered me, I would have the gun refinished.

Last edited by dahermit; April 18, 2013 at 07:35 AM.