The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 6, 2010, 07:01 PM   #1
rooster2022

ok what am i doing wrong?

I am loading 300wsm barns tsx rounds. brass has been ran through the sizer and has never been fired. it is Winchester brass. OK the problem. every time i seat a round the neck of the brass mushrooms. i have loaded around 100 game kings with no problem. i have made shure that they are 308 and not 310 or something funny. i don't know what to do pleas help. thanks
Old June 6, 2010, 07:02 PM   #2
DiscoRacing

my guess would be seating die is too low... or just the seater itself too low in the die.
Old June 6, 2010, 07:11 PM   #3
snuffy

Quote:
my guess would be seating die is too low... or just the seater itself too low in the die.
Yeah, the end of the case is running into the crimper shoulder. The case can't crimp into a cannelure, so it buckles the shoulder of the brass. Back the seater die off a half turn, maybe even a full turn, then re-adjust the seater to where you want the bullet seated.

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?
Old June 6, 2010, 07:17 PM   #4
mrawesome22

Yep, too much crimp. Take seating stem out completely and take the die clear out of the press. Put a case in the shell holder and take it to the top position. Now screw the die down until you feel it hit the case. Now back the die off a full turn and tighten the lock ring. This method will give you NO CRIMP.
Old June 7, 2010, 12:32 PM   #5
rooster2022

fixed and perfect thanks.